Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Faust on January 13, 2017, 08:56:36 AM
It's not as painful as "Manos"

When even MST3K can't save a movie....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This seems like as good a time as any to mention that Mannose is an important sugar in Cell biology, so throughout Cell bio whenever the professor would talk about Mannose, my lab partner Peter and I would start snickering like children.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Desperately unfunny nerd humor.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

I want to get that overlaid on the red hand cloak that Manos wears.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on January 13, 2017, 05:00:55 PM
I want to get that overlaid on the red hand cloak that Manos wears.

Ohhh I think that's doable. Searching...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The line model didn't show up and I was too lazy to make it white, so here is this janky approximation.

Faust

:lulz: The first and last positive thing to come out of that film

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on January 13, 2017, 05:56:49 PM
:lulz: The first and last positive thing to come out of that film

:lulz: I'm glad I could help with that.

LMNO

To be fair, I used Torgo's knees as a simile when I had gout.  Unfortunately, no one got the reference.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 06:20:37 PM
To be fair, I used Torgo's knees as a simile when I had gout.  Unfortunately, no one got the reference.

Aw shit, I missed that completely. To be fair.  :lulz:

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 01:19:48 PM

When even MST3K can't save a movie....

To be fair, the PSAs that preceded it were excellently bizarre.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 13, 2017, 08:12:07 PM
Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2017, 06:20:37 PM

Aw shit, I missed that completely. To be fair.  :lulz:

Damn, Nigel got there first. :argh!:

Salty

Watched "The Lobster" last night.

I liked it. It wasn't perfect, but it did make me laugh a lot. Very weird premise, certainly.

Things I liked:
Single people either falling in love or turned into animals.
Getting to choose what kind of animal you want to turn into.
Not showing the process or explaining it very well because it's not needed and would spoil things a bit.

Things I didn't like:
It was sort of overloaded, I think they tried to do a touch too much and should have scaled back just a tiny bit.
That's really it, actually. It was dreamy and a lot of long shots, that's ok, but should always have its limits, IMO.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So goddamn much metaphor.

I liked it anyway, though.

Faust

I found it very hard to enjoy the lobster, it was filmed about 20 minutes from my home, most of it taking place in the Parknasilla hotel, and pretty much all the extra's are from the village (my aunt is playing in the band in the ballroom scene), the effect being it killed the immersion for me.

Funny bit of trivia from the actors though that my aunt got: They were all instructed to deliver the lines in the most emotionless way possible (maybe with a hint of anxiety), which they said is really hard for an actor because they are doing their best to get into the characters mind and bring them to life, they said it was much harder then acting for other films.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on January 15, 2017, 10:23:22 AM
I found it very hard to enjoy the lobster, it was filmed about 20 minutes from my home, most of it taking place in the Parknasilla hotel, and pretty much all the extra's are from the village (my aunt is playing in the band in the ballroom scene), the effect being it killed the immersion for me.

Funny bit of trivia from the actors though that my aunt got: They were all instructed to deliver the lines in the most emotionless way possible (maybe with a hint of anxiety), which they said is really hard for an actor because they are doing their best to get into the characters mind and bring them to life, they said it was much harder then acting for other films.

It had the rather interesting effect of making it all seem like it was written by children.