News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Ooh, loved that book when I was younger. (T,T,S,S) And Smiley's People too, of course.

We saw Fright Night last night--for free...have a friend who's manager at the theater. This is the second time she let us in gratis... The movie was not bad. Enjoyed immensely! Probably mostly because it was free. And 3D...

Cain

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 28, 2011, 05:43:18 AM
Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2011, 05:41:04 AM
Is that the Swedish director, or the English language version one?  I've seen the Swedish one, and it's brilliant, so I hope it's Tomas Alfredson.

And yeah, I noticed Gary Oldman was prominent in the trailer.  Well, good.  He does deserve a role he can truly shine in, and this sounds like the ideal film for him.

Swedish!  The American re-release was Let Me In, by the Cloverfield guy (not JJ Abrams).  I never saw it.  It's pointless.  There's honestly no way you can improve upon the Swedish version.

That's probably the best news I've had all month, then.  And yeah, I've never seen the American one, either.

Scribbly

I'm really curious to see how the movie measures up against the BBC TV series of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, which is one of my all-time favorites... I'm sure they're going to need to cut a heck of a lot to get it into movie format, but the trailer does look pretty good!
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Eater of Clowns

Siiiiiighhhh

They're remaking Oldboy.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Adios

Quote from: Cain on August 27, 2011, 10:15:49 PM
Three potentially interesting films out next month: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (yes, based on the novel), Apollo 18 and Colombiana.

And by potentially interesting, I of course mean not a sequel and not based on a comic.

Did you see Radio? One of the best I have seen ion quite a while.

Luna

Fuck you, George Lucas.

http://www.wwtdd.com/2011/08/seriously-fuck-you-george-lucas/

For the Blu-Ray boxed set version of all six movies, Lucas again decides to fuck with the movies and change shit.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

The inclusion of cut scenes didn't bother me...but that could very well be the last straw.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Luna

Quote from: Suu on September 01, 2011, 12:41:28 AM
The inclusion of cut scenes didn't bother me...but that could very well be the last straw.

I hit last straw when Greedo shot first.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

Okay, hold up. I just watched the clip and I'm skeptical. Lucas may be a tool, but ILM would have fixed those audio levels instead of making it sound like it was ripped off the end of Revenge of the Sith and stuck there poorly.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Luna on September 01, 2011, 12:45:05 AM
Quote from: Suu on September 01, 2011, 12:41:28 AM

I hit last straw when Greedo shot first.

I can ignore that. I couldn't ignore the removal of Lapti Pek or losing the Ewok song.

Cain

So, I saw Attack the Block last night.  And it was pretty good.

Short synopsis: Aliens attempt to invade Earth.  Unfortunately for them, they land in south London.  Anyone who saw the riots can guess what happened next.

Americans and Canadians may have trouble understanding the main characters, I suggest having a tab open on UrbanDictionary.  Some of the dialogue strikes me as a bit 2006ish, I'm sure the lingo has moved on since then, but you can tell the scriptwriter had at least lived in the UK at some recent point.  The special effects are nothing to write home about, but because they are used sparingly, and the aliens are rarely seen in a good light (or standing still) it works out, and generally comes across better than slapping cheaply done CGI all over the place.  The acting is generally decent, given most of the cast are teenagers, and generally comes across as quite realistic, which is where half the humour in the film comes from.

7/10, I'd say, maybe 8.  Well worth a watch if you've got nothing else planned.

Triple Zero

Sounds good! A bit like District Nine?

And I'll make sure to get English subtitles. If they're doing a lot of slang/accent, it's easier to be able to read along. Did the same with early Torchwoods, before I got used to it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Well, not that close to District 9.  No uplifting story, no morals (except "people wont mug you if they know you're from the block").  And the humans are living in the ghetto.

It's probably closer to a zombie flick, in some ways.  Except not everyone is dead at the start, they're celebrating November 5th.  Which kinda explains the absence of police etc for most of the film, and why the setting is mostly empty.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Placid Dingo on August 28, 2011, 03:35:08 AM
Chose a movie last night. Prince Caspian. Three hours of kids and taking animals failing and getting horribly mangled while Aslan dicks around to make some kind of intangible point about the nature of faith. Jackass lion.
LOL, LEO EX MACHINA!
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jenne

They are remaking Beetlejuice.  :|