News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

Rewatchd a great film called Japanese Story. Aussie film.

Other than 12 Monkies this is the most effective film I've seen that can take advantage of a viewers film literacy. Don't wiki it, just watch it.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Triple Zero

RECENTLY SAW NEW KIDS TURBO AND IT IS INDEED AWESOME AND HILARIOUS

VERREKTE KUT

...except I don't suppose it will be very funny to non-Dutch. Or maybe it will but probably not in the same way, because of the stereotypes :lol: That is, if you can find English subtitles, or even better, an English dub (one of the few times I'd actually recommend dubs over subs, but I only know of a horribly mutated German one by the actors themselves).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

OK, so I've watched three films recently.

The Green Lantern: meh.  I quite like Ryan Renolds as an actor, though I can see how he would grate on others.  That aside, not much to say about this film.  Watch it if you've got a few hours spare and no idea of what to do with them.

Conan the Barbarian: otherwise known as Khal Drogo Speaks English and Does Badass Stuff.   I actually liked the kid who played Conan at the start...keep an eye on his career, he may do well.  The rest of it is tits, swords and leather.  Also known as "every single episode of A Game of Thrones".  Maybe they wanted to make sure Jason Momoa felt at home?  Not too bad, so long as you don't take it seriously.

The Thing.  Remake of Prequel to John Carpenter's classic (the first film of his I saw, incidentally).  To be honest, it sounds like a bad idea from the start, because it's an identical plot set-up, only with a female lead and CGI.  However, it's not too terrible.  It's not as good as the original, as few things are, but if you've never seen that, it would be a fairly decent film.  The monster is just as hideous as it was in Carpenter's original, and the paranoia is cranked up high.  Flame-thrower also makes a welcome return.  If you have seen the original, it wont compare favourably, but it still may be worth checking out, if you've got nothing else on.

Suu

I watched the first Cate Blanchett "Elizabeth" movie last night.

Aside from it being an inaccurate piece of celluloid with pretty men it in to attempt to balance bad writing, her costumes were atrociously inaccurate, and seemed to follow more of a Victorian idea of what women in the 1500s, as women's clothing ranged from 1650s lace-covered cavalier (WTF Mary of Guise?!) and open polonaise coats over incorrectly elongated bodices. If I ever meet that costume designer I will shoot her. I can see where she was trying to make the French these flamboyant, mismatched, sexually liberated fops, and the Spanish these dark, brooding, unshaven sociopaths, but COME ON.

Also, in the first half of the movie, Elizabeth and the ladies of her court ARE in accurate garb.....taken right out of Moda a Firenze and based on the dresses of Eleanor of Toledo. Sure, so they transplanted Italian clothing to England in which they OVERLAP with the late Tudor look of Queen Mary (who was psychotic and remarkably accurate). They were even LACED correctly, which suddenly changed part way through the film when they decided to take princess seam spiral lacing on the back and put it dead center in the back and fucking cross lace. Who makes a godawful faux-pas like that?

The most accurate garb in the film was her coronation outfit, which was taken right from a goddamn painting and hard to screw up, and her "I am married to England" scene at the end, in which the high Elizabethan look had started to come into fashion, even if it suggested that she started the trend herself. That's hotly for debate, but I can attest that all that makeup was not to make her look "virginal" it was to hide what smallpox does to the skin.

Geoffrey Rush as Walsingham was epic, though. Because it's Geoffrey Rush, that's why.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Placid Dingo

Source Code was actually really cool. Same guy directed Moon, which is a fantastic piece of sci-fi.

Cramulus

Muppet movie was awesome. I'm still humming all those songs.

Jenne

Quote from: Cramulus on November 28, 2011, 05:02:49 PM
Muppet movie was awesome. I'm still humming all those songs.

We now call my gangly 14 year old "Muppet Man" because he is so lanky and has such a hard time controlling his limbs.  Before it was "clodhopper," so Muppet Man fits.  :D

hooplala

I saw the Muppet movie too.  I thought it was ok.

Parts made me laugh ridiculously, long stretches were boring and maudlin.

**SPOILER**

I didn't like the idea of Kermit sitting alone in a mansion for 10 years, having never called Fozzie once.  Doesn't seem in character.

And too much Walter and not enough Sam the Eagle.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

I'm in the middle of watching Terry Jones' Medieval Lives series from the BBC. Aside from the necessary Python silliness, it's actually surprisingly well done and he covers a lot of information.

http://www.medievalists.net/2011/12/06/terry-jones-medieval-lives/

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Freeky

Quote from: Hoopla on November 28, 2011, 11:15:34 PM
I saw the Muppet movie too.  I thought it was ok.

Parts made me laugh ridiculously, long stretches were boring and maudlin.

**SPOILER**

I didn't like the idea of Kermit sitting alone in a mansion for 10 years, having never called Fozzie once.  Doesn't seem in character.

And too much Walter and not enough Sam the Eagle.

They didn't take a great big dump on Henson's grave, then?

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Hoopla on November 28, 2011, 11:15:34 PM

Oh Kermit is the mastermind behind the whole downfall Hoops.  He's the evil genius who threw all the rest under the bus. 

Telarus

Quote from: Suu on July 18, 2011, 12:12:54 AM
I'm thinking I need to see 13 Assassins very soon.

This movie actually shell-shocked me. I saw so many feudal japanese people die  to expert swordsmanship that I didn't even notice my girl had been asleep next to me for the last 45 minutes. FUCK that was an awesome, fucked up film. (Yes, I am 10 pages behind on this thread, spags).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Placid Dingo

Sabrina, old and new.

Liked both. Prefer new, if only for Harrison Ford.

Suu

:gheyforum:  - 10 years ago today, the Fellowship of the Ring was released in theatres. I was a sophomore in college mark I, waited in line with my BF at the time, as we out-nerded ourselves arguing with other moviegoers about specific happenings in the Silmarillion.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 28, 2011, 09:08:58 AM
Source Code was actually really cool. Same guy directed Moon, which is a fantastic piece of sci-fi.

Moon is one of my all-time favorite movies, so I'll have to check this out.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A