News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Might have been the intention considering the subject material.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on January 15, 2017, 03:55:44 PM
Might have been the intention considering the subject material.

Yeah, that was the impression I got. I liked the effect; almost fairy-tale like.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

I saw Swiss Army Man.

...I'm not sure what I thought of it, exactly.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Faust

Is it enjoyable? Seems like weird sense of humour, my favourite film of last year was the Greasy Strangler, would I like this?

hooplala

Quote from: Faust on January 18, 2017, 08:52:45 AM
Is it enjoyable? Seems like weird sense of humour, my favourite film of last year was the Greasy Strangler, would I like this?

I haven't seen Greasy Strangler, but I did enjoy it. It's bizarre, and I didn't much care for the end, but it was certainly like no other film I have seen before. I would say give it a try.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Salty

I strongly recommend The Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

For one thing, it makes a few Hank 3 songs make sense. It also is incredible all around.

Poor, Appalachian family, the absolute epitome of poor White folks. These people have been so beaten down by family trauma and poverty. Their ancestors, if I had to guess, were probably brought over as indentured servants.

It doesn't sound hilarious, and at times it is deeply sad. But it is very worth watching.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Faust

Anyone else watching twin peaks?

Cain

Quote from: Faust on June 27, 2017, 11:09:55 AM
Anyone else watching twin peaks?

I keep meaning to, but haven't yet had the time.

Faust

David Lynch is mean, and the first few episodes are a real hard watch (deliberately so), he loves having people shuffling around doing nothing to build tension, but then the most recent episode... It's kind of an origin story for Bob if you could call it that. It's very abstract, beautiful, confusing and harrowing. It's more Eraserhead then Twin Peaks, and the balls of them to put it on TV impressive.

Cramulus

I'm about 2.5 episodes deep and I'm loving it. It feels like Lynch is doing a lot of stuff that a normal TV producer would never let him get away with.

It makes me why he ragequit it at one point, and then had all the actors make a video begging Showtime (?) to hire him back - what's the backstory to that?

Faust

Quote from: Cramulus on June 27, 2017, 01:12:04 PM
I'm about 2.5 episodes deep and I'm loving it. It feels like Lynch is doing a lot of stuff that a normal TV producer would never let him get away with.

It makes me why he ragequit it at one point, and then had all the actors make a video begging Showtime (?) to hire him back - what's the backstory to that?

He demanded total creative control, and showtime wanting to have the exclusive on the new Twin Peaks gave him the OK because they were sure it was to be a success.

The creative freedom shows, some of these episodes are pure art house.
The show was only starting to feel a little like twin peaks at episode 6/7, like broken pieces gradually being assembled, make fans start thinking the old Twin Peaks was just around the corner, and then it went pure symbolism with book of revelations style narrative for episode 8.

Also if the dialog sounds stilted for those first few episodes, its because each cast member could only see their lines in the script.

hooplala

Quote from: Faust on June 27, 2017, 11:22:21 AM
David Lynch is mean, and the first few episodes are a real hard watch (deliberately so), he loves having people shuffling around doing nothing to build tension, but then the most recent episode... It's kind of an origin story for Bob if you could call it that. It's very abstract, beautiful, confusing and harrowing. It's more Eraserhead then Twin Peaks, and the balls of them to put it on TV impressive.

I am watching it, and I loved the most recent episode. The best part was my wife and I laughing afterwards about how much people online were going to loathe it, however most reviews and reactions I saw were almost entirely positive. Some site described it as "the most sublime hour of television ever". I was very impressed.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Faust

It was awesome, I'm not surprised that it's getting good reviews, when abstract or surrealist material is portrayed people often get irritated or bored, but this tends to be if the pacing is too slow or the imagery is incomprehensible.

Episode 8 from the start of that sequence, from beginning to end was very clearly something really bad is happening, building up upon the images shown, building coherent nightmarish story: some of the symbols meanings are cryptic, but their implication and the overall gist is clear that some bad shit is going down.

hooplala

Quote from: Faust on June 27, 2017, 04:29:48 PM
It was awesome, I'm not surprised that it's getting good reviews, when abstract or surrealist material is portrayed people often get irritated or bored, but this tends to be if the pacing is too slow or the imagery is incomprehensible.

Episode 8 from the start of that sequence, from beginning to end was very clearly something really bad is happening, building up upon the images shown, building coherent nightmarish story: some of the symbols meanings are cryptic, but their implication and the overall gist is clear that some bad shit is going down.

I have thoughts on the meaning of the message relayed over the airwaves, but perhaps this thread is not the best place.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Faust

I'm feeling guilty because I have spent too much time posting posting about superhero films in crams thread.

I'm going to try and add some of the stuff I have watched over the last year that I've enjoyed:
The Killing of the sacred deer. Going to get this one over with fast. Relentlessly uncomfortable to watch this is the opposite of light entertainment. The film is about a surgeon wracked with guilt over botching a heart surgery, and trying but tiring of being a surrogate father to the dead mans kid, the kid then places a curse on his family, a similar curse to the one Artemis placed on.
The whole thing has the same stilted talking past each other dialog of his other film The Lobster, and over time a sick sense of humor fills the story, though not to the extent it ever becomes comfortable.
His other film The Favorite is slick and nasty Victorian intrigue and is good fun and worth watching just for the three lead actresses performance.