News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Faust on March 18, 2019, 10:10:55 PM
I'm feeling guilty because I have spent too much time posting posting about superhero films in crams thread.

I'm going to try and add some of the stuff I have watched over the last year that I've enjoyed:
The Killing of the sacred deer. Going to get this one over with fast. Relentlessly uncomfortable to watch this is the opposite of light entertainment. The film is about a surgeon wracked with guilt over botching a heart surgery, and trying but tiring of being a surrogate father to the dead mans kid, the kid then places a curse on his family, a similar curse to the one Artemis placed on.
The whole thing has the same stilted talking past each other dialog of his other film The Lobster, and over time a sick sense of humor fills the story, though not to the extent it ever becomes comfortable.
His other film The Favorite is slick and nasty Victorian intrigue and is good fun and worth watching just for the three lead actresses performance.

After watching The Lobster, catching up on Yorgos Lanthimos' backlog is a soft project of mine. I'm going to watch these other two once they're readily accessible. He strikes me as someone who you need to be in a certain mindset to enjoy and I'm not always in that mood.

My backlog excursions in the last year were Taika Waititi and Denis Villeneuve. I just caught Incendies the other night. What strikes me about his style, and why I think he was an excellent choice for Bladerunner 2049 and Dune, is there's a kind of absolute confidence behind it. Title cards come up in huge, screen sized, bold red lettering. Landscapes and cities burst onto the screen, overwhelming, and they stay until it just kind of makes sense to move along. You're definitely the viewer in these movies, you're along for the ride, it's like being a kid again without the critical lens that just naturally gets in the way over time.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

The Favorite was really good.

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO on March 19, 2019, 04:34:08 PM

especially that dance scene---I laughed so hard

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on March 19, 2019, 04:34:08 PM

I liked it, but not as much as I had hoped to.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I saw it with my Chosen Family -- they were cackling at Rachel Weisz.

Shade knows shade.

hooplala

There was plenty of shade being served. I was hoping for more witty banter than there ended up being, but I did enjoy it.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Q. G. Pennyworth

I don't know if I've plugged it here before but Sleight was fantastic and I strongly recommend. There is one scene of distressing violence (and some other scenes of less distressing violence, but one really stood out from the usual fare).

Al Qədic

This is probably elsewhere ITT, but Er Ist Wieder Da (Translation: Look Who's Back) is a lovely, absurd dark comedy about Hitler mysteriously waking up in 4-years-ago-modern Germany and, thinking at first that the war must still be on, teams up with a journalist (who's convinced he must just be a schmuck aggressively committing to a comedy bit) and travels the country to try and rise to power once again.

Also, what would be a good thread to post in, or a good place to put a thread, about crime shows? Is this thread acceptable for that? I've been watching Twin Peaks and the new hulu show about the Gypsy Blanchard murder, in particular, and I have a paragraph or two I wanna churn out.
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

IntentionallyLeftBlank

Holy fuck, this topic is still going?

Unfortunately I haven't much to contribute, the last movie I saw that had any real impact on me was the new mad Max, and by now that's old news.

A lot of real popular stuff like the mcu and star wars spinoffs just aren't really doing it for me. Am I the only one that's ready for a new matrix? I'm definitely the only one ready for a short circuit remake.
No Signature

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

IntentionallyLeftBlank

Quote from: Hoopla! on March 22, 2019, 09:59:52 PM
Quote from: IntentionallyLeftBlank on March 22, 2019, 09:07:58 PM
Holy fuck, this topic is still going?

Buddy....

All I know is that Nigel hated the title, and I'm ok with that.
No Signature

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 19, 2009, 07:54:50 PM
Fear and Loathing
Dark City
City of Lost Children
Fight club
Anything by Guy Richie
The Godfather (ONLY the FIRST one)
ANYTHING by Kurosawa.
Bulldada flicks (Old Godzilla, Gammorah, Breakin' II Electric Boogaloo, etc)

Everything else is garbage.  Everything.  We should drop a nuke on Hollywood, or feed them all to wild boars.

That is all.  There is no debate on this subject.

[/Roger Prime]

You didnt like Godfather 2?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla! on March 22, 2019, 10:37:35 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 19, 2009, 07:54:50 PM
Fear and Loathing
Dark City
City of Lost Children
Fight club
Anything by Guy Richie
The Godfather (ONLY the FIRST one)
ANYTHING by Kurosawa.
Bulldada flicks (Old Godzilla, Gammorah, Breakin' II Electric Boogaloo, etc)

Everything else is garbage.  Everything.  We should drop a nuke on Hollywood, or feed them all to wild boars.

That is all.  There is no debate on this subject.

[/Roger Prime]

You didnt like Godfather 2?

Two was okay, but it encouraged them to make 3.
Molon Lube

LMNO

So, I sa Us last night.  Whoa.  I have so many thoughts.

But it's a massively spolier-y movie to talk about.  Anyone who wants to discuss it, PM me.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube