Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 05, 2020, 04:58:16 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 08, 2020, 06:20:26 AM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on April 08, 2020, 04:16:55 AM
Snowpiercer: An attempt to reverse global warming causes the Earth to become unsurvivably cold, and a group of survivors are now riding around on a train that employs some kind of fancy reactor and assorted self-sustaining systems to keep them alive.

The premise was stupid.  Like, why didn't they just park the train somewhere?  In fact, why did the movie need a train at all?  The story is based on the standard dystopian formula of a downtrodden lower class (who live in the tail of the train) revolting against the upper-class (who live in luxury closer to the engine).  They could have moved the whole thing into an underground base without changing any plot points. 

The production quality was decent, and there were a couple of good action sequences, but the major conflict could have been avoided with some birth control and a thermometer.

In the case of Snow Piercer, we do not question the system.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I haven't watched or read it because potato, but as I understand it the gist of Snowpiercer from watching like one trailer and a plot synopsis is that they could do everything much better and more sensibly, and it would literally be better for all involved. But they don't, because fuck you poors.

Hate it when sci-fi has nothing to say about real life.

Dude, it's worth it just for HAPPY NEW YEAR
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

It's also worth watching with the knowledge that it's an indirect sequel to Charlie and the chocolate factory.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

minuspace

The Perfection ('19)

Can't really say anything about it. Just watch it if you feel like having some drama wrung into a nice bucket of semi-elegant horror. Skip the previews.

minuspace

Tusk (2014)

Under the skin (did I that one already?)

THE WAVE (2020)

1) and 3) have the same lead, go figure.

minuspace

I'm forgetting what I originally wanted to share, so how about anthology:

Love Death and Robots
  Specifically, the Beyond the Aquila Rift Episode

minuspace

Aha, Minuscule - Mandibles From Far Away

The first one's good too, but IIRC there's some weird dancing spider that reminds me of Klaranze in this one.

ETA

I know, the first one is essentially a remake of The Stalker so at least that one member gets it.

Cramulus

finally got around to watching Lost Highway

Reallllllly enjoyed it. Very surreal. One of Lynch's more coherent films. Bill Pullman is great, only wish he was in more of the movie. And I love David Lynch dialog - he's not trying to be realistic, every line is meant to be evocative, not true-to-life. Helps create this surreal dreamscape.

In this movie, you can see the DNA of Mulholland Drive... they're both stories about about escaping into a fantasy life, but the border between the real world and the dream world is mixed up and jumbled together.

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on June 26, 2020, 02:08:56 PM
finally got around to watching Lost Highway

Reallllllly enjoyed it. Very surreal. One of Lynch's more coherent films. Bill Pullman is great, only wish he was in more of the movie. And I love David Lynch dialog - he's not trying to be realistic, every line is meant to be evocative, not true-to-life. Helps create this surreal dreamscape.

In this movie, you can see the DNA of Mulholland Drive... they're both stories about about escaping into a fantasy life, but the border between the real world and the dream world is mixed up and jumbled together.

Legend has it that Lynch was listening to Rammstein non-stop while filming this.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Knives Out
Come for the A E S T H E T I C murder mystery, stay for the brutal takedown of the American bourgeois.

Cramulus

Knives Out is the most fun movie I've seen all year, hands down. Completely satisfying even if you're not into whodunnits.

minuspace

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Because "When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings"

Cramulus

And I'm a huge Coen brothers fan, but I found Buster Scruggs to be really hit or miss. Some of the segments were great, others felt kinda dull.

Just watched The Lighthouse. Great movie to follow lost highway... it's weird, paranoid, and great chemistry between the leads (Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe).

Here's the basic plot of the movie:

I wish we had spoiler tags cause I want to talk about what it's about, but I don't want to spoil it. So if you want a totally spoiler-free experience, stop reading now. This isn't a plot spoiler, more of a 'concept' spoiler... it's basically a movie about two characters from Greek Myth (Proteus and Prometheus). Those characters aren't in any classical myths together... this movie is kind of an attempt to make a story featuring both of them, if they were both lighthouse keepers in, like, 1890.

minuspace

Yah, it was the "framing device" of the Scruggs flic that stuck with me. Then again, at least he had someone to tell his story to re: Lighthouse [ will watch again]

Otherwise, I"m on a Toto' kick right now: "I'll Vigele Ignoto" (the unknown traffic director) - on his defense of not impersonating one because he wore a 'facsimile' uniform, ergo not a *real* fraud.

Faust

I loved the lighthouse, I watched it and The Killing of the Sacred Deer fairly close together, the latter is more harrowing, both are based off greek myths.

Buster was hit and miss, called the spoiler of the Brendan Gleeson within a few minutes and that made that segment less interesting. My favorite was the Tom Waits Gold prospector segment.
I like to think that that wasn't filmed for the movie, someone just followed Tom Waits around for the weekend and that short was the result
Sleepless nights at the chateau

minuspace

I'll try the Lighthouse -> Deer sequence (incidentally, have you seen People of earth? Because that's like the same thing)  :lulz:

Also, Doom Patrol is kinda jiving with me at the moment. (What's the difference with TV now anyways)