News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Petition to add John Waters and Jim Jarmusch, if'n you please, sir.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on October 19, 2009, 08:16:07 PM
Petition to add John Waters and Jim Jarmusch, if'n you please, sir.

Sorry, never heard of them.  They go into the hopper with everyone else.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

There are some forms of cultural illiteracy that I am comfortable with.

LMNO

Really, you'll just let Pecker, Serial Mom, Female Trouble, Cecil B Demented, Crybaby, Coffee and Cigarettes, Broken Flowers, Dead Man, Ghost Dog, and Stranger Than Paradise just fall into the trash bin?

For shame.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on October 19, 2009, 08:36:31 PM
Really, you'll just let Pecker, Serial Mom, Female Trouble, Cecil B Demented, Crybaby, Coffee and Cigarettes, Broken Flowers, Dead Man, Ghost Dog, and Stranger Than Paradise just fall into the trash bin?

For shame.

Yes.

TGRR,
Has no shame.

LMNO

Quote from: LMNO on October 19, 2009, 08:36:31 PM

For shame.

I'll add Ghost Dog Way of the Samurai and Dead Man to the end of my list.
Not a huge Waters fan, though. (except I really like the message of Cecil B. Demented, but I'd hardly call it one of the best films ever.)

LMNO

That's because you can't see true genius when it teabags you.

[/Roger Prime]

Quote from: LMNO on October 19, 2009, 08:54:54 PM
That's because you can't see true genius when it teabags you.

[/Roger Prime]

Honestly, I still havent seen most of his movies. I'm sure I will, and when I do, I'll get back to you on this.

Triple Zero

ghost dog is the movie where this one guy (minor role) is building a huge ship on his rooftop for no apparent reason at all, right?

i remember noticing that when watching it for the 2nd time.

great movie :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 19, 2009, 09:40:59 PM
ghost dog is the movie where this one guy (minor role) is building a huge ship on his rooftop for no apparent reason at all, right?

i remember noticing that when watching it for the 2nd time.

great movie :)

yeah, thats the one. I really wish I could find a book-on-tape of Forest Whitaker reading the Haga-Kure

Dimocritus

Yeesh. I figured this thread would have died out. So, a few more.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
And to get you out of the emotional murk that it might put you in:
The Royal Tennenbaums.

Also, A few suggestions from others that I want to second.

QuoteKung-Fu Hustle

Though, this movies precursor, Shaolin Soccer, was much better, IMO

QuoteTropic Thunder
Quote12 Monkeys
QuotePans Labyrinth
QuoteCity of God

There was a version of this that also came with a documentary on the real life situation that inspired the movie, and it was a really cool documentary.

QuoteCecil B. Demented
QuoteCoffee and Cigarettes

Any movie with Bill Murray, Tom Waits and Wu Tang clan members RZA and GZA is pure fucking win.

Z³-Thanks for bringing the meat  :thumb:

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

I'd just like to say that I really like the first seven minutes of Kung Fu hustle... but I don't care for that movie.
... but hey, I can just watch the first seven minutes of it on youtube.
Kung Fu Hustle (the abridged version)

Oh, and for City of God, I have that version of the film... dont worry, I'll be getting to it eventually.

I'm trying to go back and rewatch these movies as I review them, believe it or not I've actually had notes on the Encino Man review laying around for about a month. There are a few on my list that might take some work for me to get a hold of, and other movies that I'm sure I'm forgetting that I can add to the list. Although, I'm going to try to crank out at least two a night for the next couple weeks, assuming I'm not otherwise occupied.