News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 23, 2009, 08:27:05 PM
And for this post, whenever I click on updated topics I'm going to see this trainwreck of a thread.

Is it ruining your life yet? Since this thread started I haven't been able to work, my sweetheart got sick, his friend died, my house lost $115,000 in equity, and my ex is suing me.  :x
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

WHENEVER YOU READ THIS THREAD, MILLIONS CHILDREN GET HIT BY A LEUKEMIA-BUS.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Nigel on October 24, 2009, 12:26:07 AM
And for this post, whenever I click on updated topics I'm going to see this trainwreck of a thread.

Is it ruining your life yet? Since this thread started I haven't been able to work, my sweetheart got sick, his friend died, my house lost $115,000 in equity, and my ex is suing me.  :x

It's true.  My girlfriend and I have been fighting since I posted here, and the fact that I haven't had an erection since that post can only lead me to believe I'm impotent.  Not having pooped since then means I might be constipated as well.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 24, 2009, 12:34:06 AM
Quote from: Nigel on October 24, 2009, 12:26:07 AM

It's true.  My girlfriend and I have been fighting since I posted here, and the fact that I haven't had an erection since that post can only lead me to believe I'm impotent.  Not having pooped since then means I might be constipated as well.

Almost certainly!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

THIS THREAD CAUSED ME TO LOSE FOLLOWERS. TWEET ME BACK.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

rong

i always figured requiem for a dream (and spun) were updated versions of reefer madness. i.e. updated government propaganda films. 

that's a conspiracy, right?

lol dick in a light socket.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Captain Utopia

Quote from: rong on October 24, 2009, 04:52:14 AM
i always figured requiem for a dream (and spun) were updated versions of reefer madness. i.e. updated government propaganda films. 

that's a conspiracy, right?

lol dick in a light socket.
I think so. I'd say any coincidence is from lazily using existing cultural drug hysteria for maximum emotional impact.

Dimocritus

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 23, 2009, 08:22:20 PM
Quote from: Dimocrates KSC on October 23, 2009, 03:53:03 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on October 23, 2009, 01:49:29 PM
Quote from: ☂Faust☂ on October 23, 2009, 11:26:23 AM
Quote from: fictionpuss on October 23, 2009, 07:32:04 AM
Quote from: Dimocrates KSC on October 23, 2009, 04:08:28 AM
Quote from: Z³ on October 23, 2009, 04:01:02 AM
Quote from: Dimocrates KSCI hear Daron Aronofsky is doing the new Robo-Cop.
I think that might be kind of cool.

Knowing his track record, I'd have to agree.
Nah, his next movie is an adaptation of 101 Dalmatians, where he drowns them in buckets one by one while reading selected Ann Rand quotes.

God I hate that miserable motherfucker.

The fountain isn't miserable at all. I love that film. Sure the subject matter is death but its actually quite upbeat about it.
I have only seen Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler - if indeed he has created a film without pathologically seeking out and amplifying every emotionally traumatizing moment possible - I still have no motivation to give him another chance.

Umm, can't deal with a little emotion, or do just not like it when a movie makes you notice you have them? He's a great frikkin' director.
Don't try to bait me Dimo, for I am a master baiter, and you'll just end up getting the short end of the stick in any toss up we have. Unless you succeed, and I seem to recall a photo somewhere suggesting that might likely.

Watch those films again, every scene is the most contrived and wrung out after school special melodrama played for maximum impact by someone who just wants to make their audience suffer. There is a certain beauty and craftsmanship to the way he portrays his psychosis, but there is no point to it, no dramatic validation. It's just cynical manipulation of an audience too stupid to realise that just because something makes you feel cold and empty, that doesn't make it art. Fuck him. He's the cinematic equivalent of Coldplay. (based upon the two films of his I've seen)

Oh yeah, here's that photo:

Go watch the fountain and/or Pi. Pi is very similar to Requiem, but without the drugs. See if your opinion changes after that. If not, stay away from movies. They all want to manipulate your emotions. At least Aranofsky, as you put it, does it with a certain "beauty and craftsmanship," which is more than what you can expect from a lot of the other Hollywood drivel.

And here's a photo:
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

you thought the fountain was GOOD?
i thought it was epic lameness and really boring

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Dimocrates KSC on October 24, 2009, 04:57:29 PM
Go watch the fountain and/or Pi. Pi is very similar to Requiem, but without the drugs. See if your opinion changes after that. If not, stay away from movies. They all want to manipulate your emotions. At least Aranofsky, as you put it, does it with a certain "beauty and craftsmanship," which is more than what you can expect from a lot of the other Hollywood drivel.
Your challenge Dimo, is to find a form of entertainment which doesn't seek to manipulate emotions.

I don't need a happy ending, but I will object if something is contrived purely to profit from making the audience to feel like shit. I will object if miserable wankers try to browbeat an appreciation of said shit under the masquerade of art.

And here's a photo:

:lulz: Nicely done.

Messier Undertree

It doesn't matter how many years I spend on the internet, pictures of cats will always be funny.

Triple Zero

After watching Pi for the third time I decided it was crap.

first I watched it because Aphex Twin and Autechre were on the soundtrack but I'm not sure even one of them was actually featured in the movie, the tracks weren't new, and the rest of the tracks aren't really that brilliant either (except maybe one).

The digits that are supposed to be of Pi in the opening screen are only accurate up to the 14th digit or so, after that it's random numbers (no I didn't notice that either, I read it on IMDB and then checked for myself). The QBLH references are rather shoddy and so was the stuff about chaos theory and the stock market, and at some point he's being scooby chased by rabbis over a 216 (6x6x6! but they dont mention that) digit number and then he trepanizes himself or something, the end.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 24, 2009, 05:57:02 PM
After watching Pi for the third time I decided it was crap.

first I watched it because Aphex Twin and Autechre were on the soundtrack but I'm not sure even one of them was actually featured in the movie, the tracks weren't new, and the rest of the tracks aren't really that brilliant either (except maybe one).

The digits that are supposed to be of Pi in the opening screen are only accurate up to the 14th digit or so, after that it's random numbers (no I didn't notice that either, I read it on IMDB and then checked for myself). The QBLH references are rather shoddy and so was the stuff about chaos theory and the stock market, and at some point he's being scooby chased by rabbis over a 216 (6x6x6! but they dont mention that) digit number and then he trepanizes himself or something, the end.

pi is like a cross between Eraserhead and Tetsuo:the Ironman. Actually, there seriously are elements of that movie where the Shinya Tsukamoto influence comes on pretty thick, but I like that movie none the less.

Faust

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 24, 2009, 05:40:11 PM
Your challenge Dimo, is to find a form of entertainment which doesn't seek to manipulate emotions.

I don't need a happy ending, but I will object if something is contrived purely to profit from making the audience to feel like shit. I will object if miserable wankers try to browbeat an appreciation of said shit under the masquerade of art.

And here's a photo:

:lulz: Nicely done.
The aspects of a movie I watch out for are to see if I can spot the intent the director had for a film, how well it was constructed and if the director manages to remove his presence from the film and create a sense of immersions.

RFAD did indeed show the gradual distruction of several peoples lives, but I think you are wrong in assuming the unhappy ending was to evoke upset in the viewer. It was established it wasn't some shitty shock ending (I watched grifters the other week and the ending is at odds with the film).
I didn't get the feel of it as a deliberate attack, it was an expected and elegant cap stone to the rest of the film.
It has far more glaring flaws (specifically in the mothers stream) that you can pick at but the ending kept with the seasonal theme of the film. Of course I am incapable of compassion on most levels or sympathy for the characters and was dissecting the ending while watching it, so maybe I missed it as a assault, labouring to extract some emotion from me.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Dimocritus

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 24, 2009, 05:40:11 PM

Card games. But that's not what this topic is about.

On topic, and a bit repetitive, but has any one here watched Bob Roberts?
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"