News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Faust on April 09, 2010, 12:41:39 AM
Is there anything good coming out this year?
The Expendables looks like it is going to be unbelievably awesome or unbelievably shitty. It could go either way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6RU5y2fU6s
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Favorite movie of all time: Baron Von Munchausen. 

Quote from: Faust on April 09, 2010, 01:06:36 AM
Quote from: dimo on April 09, 2010, 01:01:48 AM

I dunno. Still trying to wrap my head around "Eraser Head."
Its about the dangers of unplanned pregnancy and a vehicle for david lynches depravity. Mystery solved.

I think that movie is more about Despair, and Philadelphia.
I don't really get Depravity from Lynch.

Triple Zero

Quote from: EoC on April 09, 2010, 12:51:41 AM

Iron Man 2, if you liked the first one.

YEAAEAEAEEAEA

I'm so downloading that one :P
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

Quote from: Z³ on April 09, 2010, 07:09:53 AM
Quote from: Faust on April 09, 2010, 01:06:36 AM
Quote from: dimo on April 09, 2010, 01:01:48 AM

I dunno. Still trying to wrap my head around "Eraser Head."
Its about the dangers of unplanned pregnancy and a vehicle for david lynches depravity. Mystery solved.

I think that movie is more about Despair, and Philadelphia.
I don't really get Depravity from Lynch.
Well Most of film were composed of:
Sexual metaphor and analogues
Fear and the divide between males and females and the difficulty to relate
Fears that many parents towards their newborns, including the slight resentment for the demands placed upon them.
Its overall feel is despair, alienation and failure but the specific metaphor used to drive the film is pretty straightforward sexually related stuff.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Eater of Clowns

I know it's not "this year" but this is really exciting news for me.  Martin Scorcese's next project is adapting the children's book The Invention of Hugo Cabret.  He's doing it in 3D as well, completely of his own accord with no studio pressure.  It'll be the kind of 3D where it's shot in the format (Avatar) as opposed to later adapted (Alice in Wonderland).  The prospect of Scorcese taking on 3D is cool, I'd like to see how he does it.

The book itself is a really wonderful children's novel.  To those spags who have kids I highly recommend it.  The writer is Brian Selznick, who is either son or grandson to the great David O Selznick.  It won the 2008 Caldecott Medal and it's unbelievably visually stunning.  Hugo Cabret is an orphan who lives in a Paris train station in the 30's winding the clocks and stealing for food.  He finds a clockwork automaton that he tries to get working again.  The story is told alternating between prose and beautiful pencil work.  I thought the concept was great because the art isn't illustration, it's as important to driving the story forward as the words themselves.

I also think 2010 is the year a couple Michael Chabon novels get adapted.  The Coen Brothers are coming out with his Yiddish Policemen's Union (a detective story in an alternate history where Israel was never founded and the Jews settled in Alaska, calling themselves the Frozen Chosen).  Again a great fit between story and directors.

The guy who directed The Hours and a few other pretty highly acclaimed movies (none of which I've seen) is tackling The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which is ambitious to say the least.  I can only picture it as a sprawling epic like Gone With the Wind or Giant due to the length and depth of the novel (which has some of the more beautiful prose I've read).
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Suu

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 09, 2010, 06:00:04 AM

General Stuart will love you for life.

"Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash!"
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOT THIS THREAD!!!  :crankey:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

So Christopher gans is to make a film about the Fantômas character. He is basically the first bond villain, first guy to use an overly elaborate death trap and the like.

Eater of Clowns

Faust, I didn't have time to mention in the last post to you specifically that I think you might find The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but it takes place during the Golden Age of Comics.  The main characters follow a similar path that Simon and Schuster did with Superman.  Their lives are affected by the boom of comic books, then the comics code and the congressional hearings, as well as wider world factors like WWII.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sparkley Pink Shit on October 25, 2009, 03:40:41 PM
THIS FREAD IS RAPING SMALL INNOCENT CHILDREN AND PUPPIES IN OUR VERY BACKYARD!!!!
:argh!:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Quote from: EoC on April 14, 2010, 08:21:04 PM
Faust, I didn't have time to mention in the last post to you specifically that I think you might find The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but it takes place during the Golden Age of Comics.  The main characters follow a similar path that Simon and Schuster did with Superman.  Their lives are affected by the boom of comic books, then the comics code and the congressional hearings, as well as wider world factors like WWII.

Thanks. I'll give that a look, I wonder will it end in a dark and gritty confused and aimless mess like superhero comics are now.

Faust

Just watched La Dolce Vita. Its long but its style is amazing. This is the first Fellini film I've watched and I've always been sceptical of people hyping up a director a lot, but for him it may not be unfounded, unique stuff.

Jasper

Quote from: Suu on April 14, 2010, 07:30:22 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on April 09, 2010, 06:00:04 AM

General Stuart will love you for life.

"Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash!"

And I, for one, want no part of it!

...Odd that he and I share that taste.  I've never met anyone else who really loves it.

Recently I saw the movie Alice by Jan Svankmajer, which is a Czech adaptation of Alice in Wonderland, and its fucking phenomenal... dripping with symbolism, and its pure nightmare fuel. I only caught one overt reference to the soviet union, but I wouldnt be surprised if there are more.

Anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd03-wm6DDM

this really is the best adaptation of Alice in Wonderland I've ever seen. (also inb4 Pedo)