News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: Professor Freeky on May 14, 2010, 11:31:17 PM
It's been a while since I saw Sin City, and I had wanted to see The Wrestler but never got around to it. I'ma have to rent those or something.
Sin city hasn't aged well and it paved the way for the tacky violence of the watchmen, spirit and kickass, its still fun but a lot of what was revolutionary about it is dated now. The wrestler however is a brilliantly made film with lush detail and good acting.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Freeky

Quote from: Faust on May 14, 2010, 11:40:42 PM
Quote from: Professor Freeky on May 14, 2010, 11:31:17 PM
It's been a while since I saw Sin City, and I had wanted to see The Wrestler but never got around to it. I'ma have to rent those or something.
Sin city hasn't aged well and it paved the way for the tacky violence of the watchmen, spirit and kickass, its still fun but a lot of what was revolutionary about it is dated now. The wrestler however is a brilliantly made film with lush detail and good acting.
Whoo! :)

Eater of Clowns

I thought Rourke was a shoe in for best actor from The Wrestler.  I guess Milk was more culturally relevant with the gay marriage debates?  I don't know.  It's a good movie, he plays it well and subtly.

I haven't seen Iron Man 2 yet.  I hear it isn't as good as the first, which I really enjoyed.  I'm not sure there's much else I'm interested in seeing this summer.  The Expendables?  For pure action star goodness?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Faust

Quote from: EoC on May 15, 2010, 12:28:55 AM
I thought Rourke was a shoe in for best actor from The Wrestler.  I guess Milk was more culturally relevant with the gay marriage debates?  I don't know.  It's a good movie, he plays it well and subtly.

I haven't seen Iron Man 2 yet.  I hear it isn't as good as the first, which I really enjoyed.  I'm not sure there's much else I'm interested in seeing this summer.  The Expendables?  For pure action star goodness?

Machete. Its going to be fan fucking tastic
Edit: wrong link, search new trailer machette

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Faust on May 15, 2010, 12:45:07 AM
I thought Rourke was a shoe in for best actor from The Wrestler.  I guess Milk was more culturally relevant with the gay marriage debates?  I don't know.  It's a good movie, he plays it well and subtly.

I haven't seen Iron Man 2 yet.  I hear it isn't as good as the first, which I really enjoyed.  I'm not sure there's much else I'm interested in seeing this summer.  The Expendables?  For pure action star goodness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nPet2lzha8

Oh yeah!  Danny fucking Trejo (who I think is also in The Expendables).  You know, I never saw Grindhouse, the movies or the trailers.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Freeky

I haven't seen Iron Man 2 yet.  I hear it isn't as good as the first, which I really enjoyed.

It's good as far as sequels go. It's a better sequel than, say, Transformers 2, when they turned peaceful Optimus into fightmongering Optimus, and the best they could think of for a ginormous robot was a balls joke. :kingmeh:

Faust

Quote from: EoC on May 15, 2010, 12:46:16 AM
Quote from: Faust on May 15, 2010, 12:45:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nPet2lzha8

Oh yeah!  Danny fucking Trejo (who I think is also in The Expendables).  You know, I never saw Grindhouse, the movies or the trailers.
Planet terror is a fun zombie film and the better of the two. Death proof has amazing accomplishment of actually making Kurt Russle ACT. I never thought it was possible. Death proof takes forever to get good though, don't watch the two films together in one sitting.

Freeky

Cain

Machete looks like the best film of the summer, that I've seen mention of anyway.  

Iron Man 2 was fun, and cut above the usual mindless Hollywood action flick, but not by much.  

The Expendables threatened to be a mindless Hollywood action flick, but somehow avoided that fate, perhaps due to Mickey Rourke's performance when talking about Bosnia (and, interestingly, they had Jason Statham playing someone who wasn't a total thug and borderline 90s antihero, for a change.  Though he still had the monotone Aussie accent).  

The Ghostwriter had promise, as an adaptation of a Robert Harris novel but...I don't know, something was ultimately lacking.  It had many of the makings of a good British Conspiracy Thriller in the vein of State of Play and Edge of Darkness but did not fulfill those expectations.

Robin Hood was awful.  I liked the twist on the backstory and the action scenes were, as always impressive, but given it was Robin Hood, the lack of actual outlawry and amazing feats of bowmanship were very noticeable.  Of course, I am sure this is going to end up being a trilogy, so the second and third films may redeem it in those respects, but it is not usually the case that the first film in a series is the worst.  Also, the scene with the barons facing down King John was just cringeworthy.

Freeky

I'm going to go see Dispicable Me tonight. Anyone know if it's good/awful?

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Uh my mother took my retarded uncle to see it and they liked it  :lol: dunno if that is good or bad

Triple Zero

Gonna see Machete on sunday.

Dunno if I'll have time to see Expendables before it stops playing though.

Yeah those are two films I will actually pay for instead of download in a month or two :-P [ok I do have some 2 for the price of 1 coupons].

I didn't like Iron Man 2 nearly as much as the first film. Glad I didn't pay for it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on September 24, 2010, 11:29:44 PM
I'm going to go see Dispicable Me tonight. Anyone know if it's good/awful?

I liked it (and was impressed by the animation, as some-one who studies that crap).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Jasper

Ah dang, I heard one poor review and decided to give it a miss!  :(

Salty

MACHETE was epic from start to finish.
They did an excellent job of making the movie what you wanted it to be after watching the fake preview.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.