News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

The new TRON looks way too slick.  Part of what made the original was that grainy-low-fi quality. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 07, 2010, 04:51:29 PM
Quote from: Unqualified on December 07, 2010, 04:50:46 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefist on December 07, 2010, 04:35:51 PM
Tron is looking like the first movie that actually deserves the cheesy 3D treatment. I'm going to see it for the spectacle alone.

This. I am not ashamed in the least to say that I'll be going to see Tron just because it looks so fucking cool.

Original or GTFO.

TGRR,
Knows the old ways are the best.

It's the sequel. Jeff Bridges is in it and everything...not gonna lie, it looks fucking AWESOME. When GS and I went to see Harry Potter last week, this 16 year old thing behind us was like, "God, this looks so fucking gay." During the preview. I thought GS was going to turn around and say something like, " I don't know how you survived, slave. Prepare to terminate."  

I actually wasn't going to see it either until I saw the preview.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on December 07, 2010, 04:57:15 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 07, 2010, 04:51:29 PM
Quote from: Unqualified on December 07, 2010, 04:50:46 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefist on December 07, 2010, 04:35:51 PM
Tron is looking like the first movie that actually deserves the cheesy 3D treatment. I'm going to see it for the spectacle alone.

This. I am not ashamed in the least to say that I'll be going to see Tron just because it looks so fucking cool.

Original or GTFO.

TGRR,
Knows the old ways are the best.

It's the sequel. Jeff Bridges is in it and everything...not gonna lie, it looks fucking AWESOME. When GS and I went to see Harry Potter last week, this 16 year old thing behind us was like, "God, this looks so fucking gay." During the preview. I thought GS was going to turn around and say something like, " I don't know how you survived, slave. Prepare to terminate."  

I actually wasn't going to see it either until I saw the preview.

Why do they have to make sequels of really bad 70s/80s shit, Suu?

Next will be "The Black Hole II".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

AFK

The Good Reverend Roger

AFK

The guy who is doing the Tron sequel is also working on a Black Hole sequel due in 2012 (of course).  Same deal at the new Tron.  Shit that happened after the original in a shinier CGI universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Hole#Remake

QuoteIn November 2009, it was reported that Disney has plans to remake the movie. Director Joseph Kosinski and producer Sean Bailey are attached to the production.[5][8]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 07, 2010, 05:22:04 PM
The guy who is doing the Tron sequel is also working on a Black Hole sequel due in 2012 (of course).  Same deal at the new Tron.  Shit that happened after the original in a shinier CGI universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Hole#Remake

QuoteIn November 2009, it was reported that Disney has plans to remake the movie. Director Joseph Kosinski and producer Sean Bailey are attached to the production.[5][8]

I hate you all.  :madbanana:

I dreaded, even in my early teens, the promise of a sequel left hanging at the end of the first one.  TBH was basically a John Wayne movie put into space (It even had the "old prospector" character, as the older of the two maintenance robots).

It was crap.  It went beyond bad, into Buldada™, then right back into bad.  It made me hate America, Hollywood, and in fact all of Western civilization.

Cuddlefish

A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

The Good Reverend Roger

Cramulus

Even as an adult, I still can't make it through Tron 1 without dozing off

AFK

I think that [The Black Hole] was pretty much the first sci-fi movie I saw as a kid.  Quickly followed by the Star Wars movies.  Seeing it later as an adult, I realised how awful it really was.  I would also say it was a bit shocking to see Disney portray a robot tunneling into a persons chest like that, but then again, this is also the Disney that killed Bambi's mother in the first few minutes.  

But really, is this the new trend?  Sequels of one-off low-rent sci-fi movies from 20 years ago?  I imagine we should be seeing a Short Circuit sequel or re-boot soon, right?  

AFK

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 07, 2010, 05:35:22 PM
 I imagine we should be seeing a Short Circuit sequel or re-boot soon, right?  

Yep:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Circuit#Sequel_and_remake

QuoteIn April 2008, Variety reported that Dimension Films had acquired the rights to remake the original film. Dan Milano had been hired to write the script, and David Foster to produce it. Foster said that the robot's visual look would not change.[6]

On October 27, 2009, it was announced that Steve Carr would direct the remake and that the film's plot would involve a boy from a broken family befriending the Number 5 robot.[7][8]

IMDb currently has the Short Circuit remake listed as a 2011 release. According to the page, the set storyline is described as being an updated re-imagining of the classic John Badham film where Number 5, one of a group of experimental military robots, undergoes a sudden transformation after being struck by lightning. He develops self-awareness, consciousness, and a fear of the reprogramming that awaits him back at the factory. With the help of a troubled young boy, Number 5 tries to evade capture and convince his creator that he has truly become alive. There is currently no cast information, only a confirmation that Steve Carr will be directing.

The Good Reverend Roger

WE HAVE TO KILL IT WITH FIRE