News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: Cramulus on December 07, 2010, 06:10:19 PM
Addams Family - being remade by Tim Burton as a stop motion animation flick

Lemme guess, starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter?  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

not a lot from 1989

Top Flicks 1989

Batman - remade as the Dark Knight
The Last Crusade - reactivated as Indy and the Crystal Skull
Look Who's Talking
Honey I Shrunk the Kids
Ghostbusters 2 - well there's always rumors about this but nothing definite yet
Little Mermaid
Driving Miss Daisy
Dead Poets Society
Uncle Buck
Field of Dreams
Bill & Ted's - lots of rumors, no dice
The Abyss

Cain

They'll get there, sooner or later.

This year has had a very heavy concentration of 80s remakes.  Maybe a bunch of copyrights expired or something? Or maybe the market was getting flooded with comic remakes, annoying people.

I do know this much though: Hollywood right now will take the path of least resistance which allows them to shaft the scriptwriters as hard as possible.  Comics, books, television programs, older movies...anything with a pre-guaranteed audience is going to be a target for a remake.  Guaranteed money, pay the writers less and who gives a fuck if it has any artistic merit or if it's entertaining or not?  KNOWN NAME = PROFIT.  End of story business model.

AFK

It's a double hook approach.  You hook the kid with the shiny CGI Sci Fi or Fantasy and you hook the Dad and/or Mom with the nostalgia of something they were hooked on when they were a kid. 

As I was writing this another movie popped into my head, and so I looked, and there it was.

Looks like Falcor and Atreyu will be flying to a theater near you sometime around 2012.   
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Phox

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 07, 2010, 07:28:22 PM
Looks like Falcor and Atreyu will be flying to a theater near you sometime around 2012.   

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eater of Clowns

They cannot possibly make G'mork any scarier. 
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Phox

:argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!:

If they remake Neverending Story, they destroy the last vestiges of my childhood.

'Specially if they change Gmork.
:cry:

Suu

Quote from: Phox on December 08, 2010, 02:30:11 AM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 07, 2010, 07:28:22 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 07, 2010, 05:12:18 PM

Why do they have to make sequels of really bad 70s/80s shit, Suu?

Next will be "The Black Hole II".

Will watch.

Cain

Quote from: Phox on December 08, 2010, 02:42:06 AM
:argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!:

If they remake Neverending Story, they destroy the last vestiges of my childhood.

'Specially if they change Gmork.
:cry:

Gmork will be voiced by Samuel L Jackson in the remake.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 07, 2010, 01:19:36 PM
One of my favorites from when I was a kiddo was The Secret of NIMH.

Isn't that the feature documentary about illegal price-fixings in the rechargeable battery industry?

Quote from: The Good Rev Roger
Next will be "The Black Hole II".

What do you mean, next? Last time I checked on PirateBay, they already released "Black Hole IX: Fist-Fighting For Faecal Freedom" ...
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cuddlefish

Saw Black Swan tonight. Daron aronofski nails it again. The only working director that hasn't missed, IMO.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Suu

I actually saw Tangled last night with a friend of mine. I've been kinda disappointed with Disney features lately (I miss the old pen and ink animation style), but this was REALLY fun and enjoyable. It is a musical and it is computer animated, but it's they're 50th feature and they went all out.

Plus, Rapunzel is a total flake, Flynn is a sarcastic prick, and the romance isn't annoying and sappy. Parts of it were downright hysterical. I don't think they've done a deliberate comedy since Hercules. So if any of you are a fan of classic Disney fairytale pieces and got fed up with Toy Story, Cars, and all that shit, go see this, it will NOT disappoint.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Telarus

I was impressed by some of the animation test and concept art I saw. Good to know it doesn't have a vacant plot too.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cuddlefish

Less Disney, more Black Swan. Has anyone else watched it yet?
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?