News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 17, 2011, 11:41:04 PM
So I saw "Green Hornet" this weekend. I'm not really familiar with the comic superhero, but I wonder, is the premise of the original series as well that the Hornet is a bumbling fool without any powers or skills, while his sidekick does all the work and is the only of the two that actually has a superpower (being "bullet time", matrix style kung-fu fighting)?

Yes, and yes. The original Kato was Bruce Lee during the TV series.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Quote from: Cuddlefish on January 17, 2011, 04:57:00 AM
Less Disney, more Black Swan. Has anyone else watched it yet?

Saw it over the weekend.  Was incredibly UNimpressed.  Then again, perhaps I was giving him, and the reviews, too much credit.

The way the movie was hyped was pretty much, "Lynch sodomizing Cronenberg while listening to Tchaikovsky."  What I saw was Showgirls without a sense of humor, combined with broad-handed brush-strokes of Freud.

Put it this way: In Requiem for a Dream, I was shocked, horrified, spooked, and saddened.  One of the scariest scenes in the movie involved a fucking refrigerator that rocked back and forth for fuck's sake.  I was expecting at least that much from this film.

You want a ballet movie? See Altman's The Company.  You want a psycho-sexual lesbian mindfuck?  See Mullholland Drive.  I think the fact that Black Swan has gotten the kind of reviews it has says more about the poor quality of movies being released these days than it does about whatever element of genius this movie may or may not contain.

hooplala

I have personally found that almost any ultra-hyped movie, if waited to view too long, will ultimately disappoint.  Once you've heard a few dozen times that something is "INCREDIBLE" one often starts to become prematurely defensive about its inherent worth.

Having said that, you of course may be completely correct.  "Lynch sodomizing Cronenberg while listening to Tchaikovsky." is a far stretch, for sure.

What I liked about it was that it was the only film I can think of where the protagonist is not only mentally insane, but physically insane as well.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Snarkiness aside, how much of Black Swan was unexpected as you watched it?  I was careful not to read any spoilers, but it unfolded pretty much as expected, and the few twists that were thrown in didn't really alter the plot or the themes.

Oh, and one could argue that Fight Club also had a protagonist who was both mentally and physically insane.

Disco Pickle

haven't seen Black Swan yet, but Aronofsky is supposed to be doing The Wolverine

He better not fuck it up.  Haven't been disappointed with a  movie of his yet.

Black Swan may be the first one I miss.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 18, 2011, 02:53:37 PM
Snarkiness aside, how much of Black Swan was unexpected as you watched it?  I was careful not to read any spoilers, but it unfolded pretty much as expected, and the few twists that were thrown in didn't really alter the plot or the themes.

Oh, and one could argue that Fight Club also had a protagonist who was both mentally and physically insane.

From the sounds of things it was more the media hype that ruined the experience for you. I avoided anything on the film and I enjoyed it a lot but if someone had told me it was "Lynch sodomizing Cronenberg while listening to Tchaikovsky." before I went in I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did.

The story was pretty predictable, what with them giving you a summary at the start of swan lake which the film follows to a large extent with the role in the place replacing the prince being seduced.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on January 18, 2011, 02:58:19 PM
haven't seen Black Swan yet, but Aronofsky is supposed to be doing The Wolverine

He better not fuck it up.  Haven't been disappointed with a  movie of his yet.

Black Swan may be the first one I miss.
That would be a shame, even if its not peoples favourite Aranofski film its certainly a good movie.

LMNO

I can honestly tell you: It was my experience in watching other movies (even his own previous films) that ruined it for me.  I suppose even the edgiest of Hollywood movies are, well, still too Hollywood for my tastes.

Before I am castigated further, I have to say that the movie was beautiful.  Aronofsky has a great eye for visual moments, and the Dance Club scene was great, classic Aronofsky. 

That much said, all the main characters have acted better in other movies.  Even Mila Kunis.  Especially Portman.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Suu on January 18, 2011, 02:37:48 AM
Quote from: Triple Zero on January 17, 2011, 11:41:04 PM
So I saw "Green Hornet" this weekend. I'm not really familiar with the comic superhero, but I wonder, is the premise of the original series as well that the Hornet is a bumbling fool without any powers or skills, while his sidekick does all the work and is the only of the two that actually has a superpower (being "bullet time", matrix style kung-fu fighting)?

Yes, and yes. The original Kato was Bruce Lee during the TV series.

Okay thanks, I was worried the feeling might have been an unintended consequence of the film trying too hard to be funny, or something. Original Green Hornet is also not entirely serious, then?

And LMNO, thanks for mentioning Mulholland Drive. It's on my list of "classic movies I should watch but keep forgetting about" :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Original Green Hornet was a vigilante with ass-kicking partner who walked both sides of the law.  He was the Mouth and the Brains, and Kato was the Fists.  Like the Avengers, but grittier.

Later versions camped it up a bit.

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 18, 2011, 03:10:30 PM
I can honestly tell you: It was my experience in watching other movies (even his own previous films) that ruined it for me.  I suppose even the edgiest of Hollywood movies are, well, still too Hollywood for my tastes.

Before I am castigated further, I have to say that the movie was beautiful.  Aronofsky has a great eye for visual moments, and the Dance Club scene was great, classic Aronofsky. 

That much said, all the main characters have acted better in other movies.  Even Mila Kunis.  Especially Portman.

That's a shame, did you find that with the Fountain? I have a soft spot for it, probably because it is a lot less gristly then his other films.

LMNO

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 18, 2011, 05:19:33 PM
Didn't see it.
Well I won't to hype it up. Even if it has nothing else it has an excellent Clint Manstalls score and really beautiful visuals. I'd like to hear what you think of it.