News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

NZ - Search and Surveillance Bill

Started by Dr. Paes, October 16, 2009, 05:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Paes

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10603539
http://www.chapmantripp.com/Pages/Publication.aspx?ItemID=597

QuotePrivacy Commissioner Marie Shroff has warned Parliament that a proposed law widening enforcement authorities' powers of search and surveillance needs more safeguards.

QuoteNew covert surveillance and investigative powers
Most regulatory investigative powers are currently limited to compelling the production of documents or information, requiring personnel to answer questions and, in extreme cases, physical searches of property.  If the Bill passes in its present form, regulators will also be able to subject your staff and place of business to covert surveillance.

Surveillance might include installing recording devices to intercept calls or conversations, tracking devices to determine the movements and whereabouts of staff, and cameras.  Regulators would be able to covertly break into your premises to install such devices.  Perhaps more concerning, nothing prevents a regulator from conducting similar surveillance on (or in) the homes of your officers and staff.

If regulators want to use a unique investigative technique not presently covered by the Bill (e.g. remotely and covertly accessing your IT network) they can also obtain "residual" warrants.  There is no limit to the kinds of investigative techniques that could be deployed under cover of a residual warrant.

QuoteTHE BILL
* Removes right to silence for person suspected of having evidence in crime with three or more suspects.
* Widens provision for searches without warrant.
* Allows copying of material stored on computers and remote searches of computers.
* Increases covert investigative powers of the Commerce Commission, the Reserve Bank, Customs and Ministries of Agriculture and of Fisheries.
* Gives power to detain anyone at scene of search.

But it's all okay, right guys?
I mean... They only want to keep me safe.

Halfbaked1

I remember thinking that the States were headed down this road when Dubya got the Patriot Act passed. 

I am guessing that you can write representatives to TRY and get this thing stopped or rescinded?

Dr. Paes

The bill is likely to go through *some* modification on it's way to law. A few more safeguards thrown in there, and some specifics about when it is okay for them to use these new powers.

I could write to representatives, but you can already get in a lot of trouble for protesting...

I'm not sure I want my name on the "hates his country" list.

YOU CAN KEEP YOUR AMERICA TO YOURSELVES.
DO NOT WANT.

ETA: Is backed by government AND opposition. Enjoy your new laws, kthxbai.

Halfbaked1

Know what you mean.  I was ranting to anyone who listened that the Patriot Act was just the first thing to watch for.  I was sure that Cheney would get Georgie to declare the need for full War Powers so that elections could be suspended.

Maybe it's time to start postering anonymously about all this.

Dr. Paes

Stencils are being made.
Posters prepared for printing.
Need something which will remain inside the bowl of a toilet, to write "Your Rights" inside it, with a poster nearby explaining.
The closing date for public submissions was Friday, 18 September 2009, and nobody I've spoken to knows a thing about it, or only heard of it when the Privacy Commissioner voiced concerns.

Halfbaked1

Wow!  Sounds like our Congress, "Quick, pass this before someone realizes what we're doing."

Rumckle

:x

Fucking hell!

Here I was thinking NZ was at least mildly sane in these matters.

Also, who would want to bomb NZ anyway?
It's not trolling, it's just satire.