News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

TELEVISION POLL

Started by The Johnny, October 19, 2009, 01:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOw many hours do you watch TV on average per day ???

30mins-1hr
1hr-2hrs
2hrs-4hrs
4hrs-8hrs+
NevAR !!!11!1!!!

The Johnny

Ok guys, i personally think that avoiding the TV as if it were a pox is one of the most healthy things one can do.

And i mean healthy in a physically and psychichally sense.

My hypothesis is that most people on this forum watch little to none.

NOTE: watching TV as in satellite and cable, but not as in watching DVDs or selected recordings.

NOTE 2: i guess actively watching TV compared to having it in the background is very much different. Anyhow lets not do that distinction on the voting, but do explain so in commentz.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

does it being on but not paying attn to it count?  :lol:

Requia ☣

The internet has destroyed my ability to concentrate to the point I can't pay attention to TV anymore.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Sir Squid Diddimus

there's never anything on  :argh!:

but i like maddow and olberman

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

my tv is always on when i am awake and in the room because i hate silence. i also usually have headphones and music on to drown it out tho  :lol:

Captain Utopia

I went years without watching tv during my 20s. I can't say that it made me any smarter. I can't say that it made me any stupider either, although I would if I were to judge it using as my sole datapoint the pleasure I'd get from advertising the fact I didn't watch tv.

Dumb folk do tend to watch a lot of tv, but is it correlation or causation? I mean, some people just don't enjoy thinking. If you can't force them to do so, then the glowing box isn't the problem as they'd just find something else to be absorbed by like stamp collecting or whatever.

The Johnny

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 19, 2009, 01:34:06 AM
Dumb folk do tend to watch a lot of tv, but is it correlation or causation? I mean, some people just don't enjoy thinking. If you can't force them to do so, then the glowing box isn't the problem as they'd just find something else to be absorbed by like stamp collecting or whatever.

Even just from an activity standpoint... TV is passive and "stamp collecting" you have to be active.

I personally think of it, in its origins as a correlation, and after some time as causation of lower brain activity.

Let me try an example... 2 hours of either: watching TV as opposed to just walking around randomly;

while watching TV, the pace in which you receive the information is always gonna be faster than you can completely assimilate it, therefore, you cannot filter and rationally discern it... therefore its mostly information that is going straight to you unconscious. (advertisements, cultural/ideological colonization)

on the other hand... technically speaking, if you walk, you arent "actively thinking"... BUT the constant rhythm of your walking pace will put you into meditation (alpha state anyone?), and it will be a self-induced meditation process, that can help you sort out anything and your personally important issues will pop out naturally, giving you thus a period of time for reflection.

So on a sense, it boils down to: a bombardment of maliciously intended information OR a period of time for introspection/reflection.

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I don't really watch any TV. Sometimes I watch shows online but even that isn't real often.

Faust

If there's something I am interested in watching, I'll download it but there hasn't been much in a while. I can't stand advertising and how it breaks up the shows. You really notice them when you haven't been exposed to them in a while.

That being said the smug sense of unwarranted self importance some people get from saying "I don't watch tv" has become so irritating that its almost embarrassing to say anything similar.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ☂Faust☂ on October 19, 2009, 02:50:57 AM
If there's something I am interested in watching, I'll download it but there hasn't been much in a while. I can't stand advertising and how it breaks up the shows. You really notice them when you haven't been exposed to them in a while.

That being said the smug sense of unwarranted self importance some people get from saying "I don't watch tv" has become so irritating that its almost embarrassing to say anything similar.

So fucking what?  I don't watch that fucking thing, and I'm not bothered to say so.  Does that make me smug?  If so, I don't give a fuck.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I don't watch much TV, but Colbert, Stewart, Olberman, Attenborough, and the living satire of Fox News make it worthwhile to occasionally watch it.

I certainly don't pay for it though, since it is indeed 99% mind-rotting garbage.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Corvidia

I have the internet. Why would I need TV? I think the last thing I made an effort to watch was the premier of Glee but that's because a friend of mine is in it. And I kind of stopped paying attention once he had been on the screen for long enough for me to grin and remember how I thought he was a girl the first time I met him.

Though I will watch Antiques Roadshow for a little while if I'm in the room and they're got an interesting item on.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Cainad (dec.)

I watch so little TV these days that I'll probably end up saving myself the money once I have my own place. Internet does a good enough job of eating my brain.

Remington

I watch Stephen Colbert, the Discovery Channel, and the Daily Show. In that order.
Every now and then I'll look ahead in the schedule, record some stuff, then watch it later. Total TV time per week is around 2 - 2.5 hours.

Internet Time = ~3 - 4 hours. Per day.
Is it plugged in?

Zenpeanut

I used to watch a ton of tv, but ended up stopping for about 2 years...I flipped on the tv last week to see what the good american public watches and I couldn't stand it. Who wants to be a millionaire was horrormirth for me and the political debate was both sides using flash words with no real debate.