News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Music For Your Mind & Booty

Started by Donkeyotay, October 19, 2009, 03:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Well, look what the cat dragged in.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Captain Utopia

I don't know you, or your history. But there does seem to be an obvious contradiction between passive aggression such as "I suppose you can rally the sycophants" and "I'm not here to fight". So to this disinterested observer, you just come across as a lame troll attempt. That's all.

Brotep

Listening to "What Makes the People Dance?" right now.

Tell your MC to shut the fuck up.
This music could actually be good if you used space.

Donkeyotay

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 19, 2009, 04:44:44 AM
I don't know you, or your history. But there does seem to be an obvious contradiction between passive aggression such as "I suppose you can rally the sycophants" and "I'm not here to fight". So to this disinterested observer, you just come across as a lame troll attempt. That's all.

Hmmm, I suppose you are right..I am not so much being passive aggressive as pretty much resigned to the fact that Roger will hate on me and many will follow suit just because Roger does...mebbe things have changed since I been around and nobody gives a fuck about Roger but, I doubt that..Truly though, I have no intentions of starting drama!

Donkeyotay

Quote from: Brotep on October 19, 2009, 05:00:48 AM
Listening to "What Makes the People Dance?" right now.

Tell your MC to shut the fuck up.
This music could actually be good if you used space.

What do you mean? I think we utilize the space well....He does have a lot to say on some verses but, I think the delivery is pretty good....Seriously though, please elaborate and please be constructive.

Brotep

You "utilize" the space "well".  Which means you completely fill it with noise.  Until there is no space left.

No matter how talented you are, if you don't know when to shut up, you will produce crap.

See, it ain't just a question of playing things that sound good.  You have to leave room for them to echo in the mind of the listener.

Donkeyotay

Quote from: Brotep on October 19, 2009, 06:44:13 AM
You "utilize" the space "well".  Which means you completely fill it with noise.  Until there is no space left.

No matter how talented you are, if you don't know when to shut up, you will produce crap.

See, it ain't just a question of playing things that sound good.  You have to leave room for them to echo in the mind of the listener.

Yes, and we have tried to minimalize our playing, I'm on bass BTW, to accentuate the vocals...Is your opinion that the emcee's lyrics are too wordy for the measures they are supposed to fit inside? Or do you feel his style or cadence is not in rhythym with the pocket?

Brotep

Quote from: Donkeyotay on October 19, 2009, 06:53:34 AM
Quote from: Brotep on October 19, 2009, 06:44:13 AM

Yes, and we have tried to minimalize our playing, I'm on bass BTW, to accentuate the vocals...Is your opinion that the emcee's lyrics are too wordy for the measures they are supposed to fit inside? Or do you feel his style or cadence is not in rhythym with the pocket?

You guys are consistent with each other at least, but it's too hyperactive.  It slurs together and loses its funk...The rhythm has no impact.

Partly because of constipated phrasing.  Instead of repeating short phrases, you might do better to use slightly longer phrases, or just make sure that you alternate phrases with silences.

It's not just the MC, it's all of you.  Together.

The Johnny

Its like fast paced psychedelic jazz mixed with the Blacked Eyed Peas singer.

Goddess, ive had enough with nu-metal and all these "all embracing" fusions.

(In reference to "What Makes the People Dance?")

at minute 3:20 its nice to have a break from all the spam and bombardment.

Idk, get a new male singer that doesnt do pseudo-rapping... dont overlap everything please... and expand on the jazz-psychedelia.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

I just want to strangle the MC and bash him with a chair  :argh!:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

LMNO

Wait... Is this the Donkeyotay of old?

Cramulus

Listened to a few of your tracks. I dig it! Good rhythm, cool samples, some good lyrics in there too.

Props to you for getting out there and creating something.

Donkeyotay

Quote from: Cramulus on October 19, 2009, 03:52:38 PM
Listened to a few of your tracks. I dig it! Good rhythm, cool samples, some good lyrics in there too.

Props to you for getting out there and creating something.
Thanks Cramulus!