News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

The Internet 2: The New Batch

Started by Cramulus, October 19, 2009, 03:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Igor on February 01, 2012, 01:06:45 PM
So I wandered across this subreddit recently: reddit.com/r/darknet.

They seem to be opting to turn their own computers into nodes for a new internet. It's not as futuristically cool as doing it with jewellery, but probably more immediately practical? They're proposing to use something called cjdns to do this, but I don't know anything about its security or practicality.

No they're just talking about it a lot, hoping someone will make it. Unfortunately, the part where it helps if a large crowd of people all do their little bit to make it better (the crowd-sourcing stuff Reddit is good at), doesn't happen before a bunch of really smart people solve the routing problems.

Although, I haven't seen them simply try and fail yet either. Then again, that might be for the best because it won't do the public opinion of such a project much good when they finally get all their friends to install some app or whatever to get a sizeable "municipal area network" going, and then it turns out network congestion kills all the performance.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Trip, what do you think of BATMAN and the other protocols attacking this problem?

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Bu🤠ns

Rumckle

When I lived in the university dorms we used to have WASTE set up for sharing files on the network. I seem to remember it being pretty decent at giving decent connection speeds.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Bu🤠ns

Is it  a practical solution to where this thread is going?

Rumckle

Well, it worked well on a small scale (~250 computers), but I don't know if it will scale up. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on network systems can help?
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Phosphatidylserine on February 15, 2012, 06:42:16 PM
Trip, what do you think of BATMAN and the other protocols attacking this problem?

Never heard of it, link?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.