News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

book club: the enticing madness of metamind

Started by the last yatto, October 19, 2009, 11:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-enticing-madness-of-metamind/2465236
paperback: ~$20
download: free

class starts: Nov. 1
after that updates on Fridays
intermittens break with super mario challenge
with guided questions by yours truely (this will be my third time reading this one)

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

the last yatto

Quote from: Yatto on July 09, 2009, 08:28:15 PM:fnord:

jonathan dillon book, tells a story for a lack of a better words
a illumantius trilogy for the next generation of discordians,

the book references early a list of 8 other books. for those who want to go a a faster pace
i suggest reading these and comment how they might or might not effect the storyline.

1- 'Rules of the Game' by Neil Strauss,
2-
3- 'Where the Buffalo Roam' by Hunter S. Thompson
4- 'Book IV' from Allister Crowley.
5- 'Ethics for a New Millennium,' by Dalai Lama,
6- 'The Foundation' by Isaac Asimov
7- 'The Holographic Universe' Michael Talbot
8- 'Prometheus Rising' by Robert Anton Wilson.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cramulus

so... can you tell us about this book? Is it fiction? Nonfiction? what makes you suggest it?

the last yatto

It appeals to me since metamind reminds me a bit of HC
& a reminder of whats possible in a world of what ifs.
its true in some sense false in some sense and meaningless in some sense... so anti-fiction?
but i believe it to be a work of dreams after not hearing of any last stand coverups

also was the first book i read by an author, i knew on a personal level

so in these here online book club, after the first two i noticed  its a bit harder to just talk about a book.
so in this sense i picked this one because I can talk around the book.

the 8 sub books will be at a normal every other weeks and appeal to different people here.
but the main book will be based on THE collective groups' efforts.
ie we wont start a chapter until at least half of us  are there
bored and ready to move on

no pressure to read = more reading and talking?

eta: fix engrish a bit

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Sounds good for now. If half the group decides to stop reading altogether without telling you, that 'rule' should probably be modified.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Off topic, but I read an article in the Fortean Times talking about the possibility of Bin Laden being heavily influenced by the Foundation books.
I'll dig it up later and transcribe/post it for you guys. (in a separate thread)

the last yatto

hey if its a book in the 8 this threads fine :D

the last yatto

metamind spoiler  :lulz:

QuoteUsing the law of mass action, it can predict the future, but only on a large scale; it is error-prone on a small scale. It works on the principle that the behaviour of a mass of people is predictable if the quantity of this mass is very large (equal to the population of the galaxy, which has a population of quadrillions of humans, inhabiting millions of star systems). The larger the number, the more predictable is the future.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series

Quote from: Yatto on October 23, 2009, 01:38:37 AM
metamind spoiler  :lulz:

QuoteUsing the law of mass action, it can predict the future, but only on a large scale; it is error-prone on a small scale. It works on the principle that the behaviour of a mass of people is predictable if the quantity of this mass is very large (equal to the population of the galaxy, which has a population of quadrillions of humans, inhabiting millions of star systems). The larger the number, the more predictable is the future.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series

I'm glad to see the wiki article makes reference to this, it may not be necessary to actually transcribe the article, but I'll give it a re-read and see if it contributes anything specifically. Suffice to say, beyond the simple comparison of names (al queda meaning 'the base' or foundation), elements of the plot of the foundation series are somewhat analagous as well. I remember that the article also drew a connection between the name, and the Dune series (Usul, the base of the pillar), but Foundation is a bit more of a solid fit. Also, its very likely that Bin Laden had read both books.

the last yatto

can we call him by his american name, Tim Osman please?

the last yatto

please have chapter one read by friday...

class dismissed

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I'm about halfway through the book and have yet to get to chapter two. I think it lacks chapter numbers.

I have noticed (potentially accidental) numerological significance with page numbers, though:
Quill joins on 11
Quill agrees to partake of illumination-a-la-shroom on 33

Namedropping Crowley (as well as the fact that there are page breaks on these pages) bolsters the idea that they may be intentional.

Is it just me, or does the author use Metamind and Mastermind interchangably? Mastermind is a Mack thing -- new age MarketingManagementMeeting crap.

Triple Zero

the term "Mastermind group" is also used in the Art of Memetics, btw.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.