News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

ARG Gasm

Started by BabylonHoruv, October 21, 2009, 08:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Can't find the thread for it, not sure if there is one.  And I think the idea is brilliant, so i am making a new thread.  if I am just blind I apologize.

I only just discovered what an ARG is recently, so if I am describing it wrong do please correct. (stands for Augmented Reality Game)

Basically an ARG is like a roleplaying game, but you play it in your regular life.  You get e-mails, receive phone calls, and whatnot, and are instructed to do things.  The idea i saw being discussed (don't remember where) was to have an ARG in which the participants are part of a scret conspiracy.  They could elave one another coded messages, do strange things that seem pointless, but are actually part of elaborate mindfucks, etc.

If I got this wrong someone please correct me.  i think it is an awesome idea and would love to be involved in it in some way.  I have lotsa experience GMing tabletop, none as an ST for a LARP or a puppetmaster for an ARG, but I'd still love to be either a puppet master or a participant if it ends up getting up and rolling.  I am also not the worst coder in the world (just abut the third worst) so would be willing to help set up mailing lists and such for it.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Cramulus

see here

project fell apart due to not having enough staff to write it / run it. Perhaps a more streamlined idea was necessary. But all in all, these things take a lot of work to run, and it's a lot to ask of volunteers.

we had a private staff board over at the now missing p3nt4gr4m forums, which are inaccessable now.

BabylonHoruv

OK,  I read through it, looked like it stalled on takeoff.  I'm continuing posts in this thread partly because it is more about the general idea than the specific Aporia vs 5th gen game you had started to set up.

Looks like Cram and Cain are the ones most familiar with ARG's, if I could get an idea from you two what roles need filled in order to get things off the ground for one I could try to recruit people in specific.  You said five writers, what are they writing? General game story arc and the initial websites?

I am thinking maybe a game where you are an agent of the conspiracy could have an easier time growing in an organic way, that way there only needs to be enough puppet masters/administrators to run the current player base, and the overarching storyline could grow as the game does without even having to be planned out in advance.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

the last yatto

a few games of cavinball could count as an ARGgasm

it might be their world, BUT ITS OUR STREET
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit