News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Neurogrids

Started by Iason Ouabache, November 09, 2009, 08:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Oh great, mechanical monkeys.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Reginald Ret

i propose using both types of computers in the transition stage, that'll give 'em enough time to work out the making mistakes bit.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

Actually there are enough examples where it is perfectly fine to make efficiency / accuracy trade-offs like this.

In fact, this would be pretty fucking useful for databases. I've read some stuff about neural models for databases, and if you design them that way, they are able to deduce missing pieces of data and discover patterns and trends in the data as primitive operations like you'd normally do an exact query on a traditional DB. it's not always what you want, but there's quite some situations in which this would actually be better than a traditional DB.

it's kinda scary too, though. cause this is getting pretty close to those positronic brain things in Asimov's novels. being very complex, computer-designed networks of computer stuff that doesn't always work entirely right and the very worst thing is that it is way too complex for us ever to truly understand what is going on. Yes, kind of like the human brain, or many other processes in biology.

problem is, what if it works? what if it happens to be more efficient than biology?

you could argue that that's not gonna happen cause evolution has had millions of years to polish and perfect their biological processors, and we would be hard pressed to outdo nature on this field.
but, you don't know that. these bio processors were evolved for fitness, at every step along the way. which means they could only move through the ridges of the local maxima. if you add some human "intelligent design" into that mix, who knows where you can carry it.
I mean look at the regular computer,. such a thing wasnt gonna evolve by itself either.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Kai on November 11, 2009, 02:15:42 AM
Oh great, mechanical monkeys.

I figure that's the goal.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.