News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Cainad's Spiritual Journey with Caffeine Excess

Started by Cainad (dec.), October 26, 2009, 03:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

:mittens:

Noone pulls the wool over your eyes quite like yourself.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on October 26, 2009, 10:54:14 PM

Yeah, didn't you once get phony pills and couldn't sleep because of it? Sometimes it's matter over mind, plain and simple.

How does one follow the other?  I couldn't sleep, so I took pills.  The pills were fake, and I didn't sleep.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 27, 2009, 03:52:43 AM

Yeah, didn't you once get phony pills and couldn't sleep because of it? Sometimes it's matter over mind, plain and simple.

How does one follow the other?  I couldn't sleep, so I took pills.  The pills were fake, and I didn't sleep.

I think he was saying that sometimes, you really do need medication (matter) to pimp-slap your brain (mind), and no amount of trickery will overcome that.

So, it sounds like you're both in agreement.

Triple Zero

AFAIK it doesn't work if you know it's a placebo; you have to be fooled. Unless, I suppose, you do some hypno-trance-psychosomatic-somatopsychic-voodoo-smokeweedandlistentoPinkFloyd mind games stuff.

well that sucks then.

basically means you can't do it on your own, then?

unless you sort of mix real pills 50/50 with fake ones maybe?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Richter

Placebo effect requires both believing and wanting said drug to work, to put it bluntly.  People getting high of talcum powder they're told is cocaine is a fine example of this.

With real drugs, as TGRR has often said, if you want it or not, the chemical hammer comes DOWN.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

LMNO

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 27, 2009, 12:32:46 PM

This is pretty much the entire point of NLP, self-hypnosis, and "madjyqkuie".

It is possible to fool yourself, but it's not easy.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on October 27, 2009, 12:42:33 PM

I KNOW

SO HOW DO I THAT?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

INVOKE OFTEN.

That is, tell yourself out loud three times every day, that the pills will do what they say they will.  Also, tell your friends that you're taking medication to help you with your stress.  Take your pills in front of them.  Basically, create a superstition around them.  Fetishize them.  Eventually, your belief in them will slip under the bullshit filter in your brain, and you'll be convinced they're doing something, even though you don't "actually" believe in them.

Good luck un-convincing yourself, though.

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on October 27, 2009, 12:42:33 PM

THIS.  I think the will to ignore what your brain knows to be true and the ability to "pretend" yourself into reality plays a huge role in this.  And I admire people able to do this because I'm not sure I can. 

Jenne,

Total ControlFreakTM

Richter

From my own experience and reading, any "mind over body" becomes a lot easier when it's something necessary. 
Getting rid of a common cold, for instance, will be REAL hard to focus on, since it's just an inconvenience and likely to clear up on it's own, whereas dropping your breathing, panic levels and blood pressure to ride out an asthma attack carries a lot more weight when you need to do it.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jenne

Well, in that light, Richter, then perhaps I have done that a bit.  I called it "visualization" back in the day, but it's how I got through 3 root canals and my tattoos.  Just thought of something that wasn't germaine to the task at hand, and it got my mind off the pain.

Though I must've lost my touch because the last time some asshole drilled in my mouth without benefit of local anesthesia, I was WRITHING in pain.  So I got the gas this time and it worked like a charm.  Maybe that was mind over matter as well.  Telling myself I got the gas, so it won't hurt as bad.  I still ended up with 10 shots to the jaw and major stiffness afterward, but the experience itself was much better.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Placebo effect also doesn't always work even if the patient both believes in and want the medicine. However, when it does work it can do AMAZING things. My stepmom, who is a Reiki healer, fixed... really physically fixed... my dad's damaged heart valve with what I suspect is the power of placebo. His doctors have been wanting to do surgery for over a year, they put him on meds which he took for a while but then quit because he hated them, and then my stepmom put him on a special diet and gave him fish oil and reiki healing, and after two months, when he went to the doctor, his heart valve problem was cured. Maybe it was the special diet. Maybe it was the fish oil. Who knows.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

IIRC there was a Scientific American article which talked about the physical effects they could measure in placebo testing.

Ah found it: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=placebo-effect-a-cure-in-the-mind

There was another article which covered a study that claimed you could get the placebo effect even if you KNEW... as long as you still took your meds regularly and pretended that it would work....

Can't find it in a quick search though... I'll keep looking.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: LMNO on October 27, 2009, 12:01:36 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 27, 2009, 03:52:43 AM

I think he was saying that sometimes, you really do need medication (matter) to pimp-slap your brain (mind), and no amount of trickery will overcome that.

So, it sounds like you're both in agreement.

This. I think my communication skills broke for a moment back there.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Richter on October 27, 2009, 12:36:29 PM
Placebo effect requires both believing and wanting said drug to work, to put it bluntly.  People getting high of talcum powder they're told is cocaine is a fine example of this.

With real drugs, as TGRR has often said, if you want it or not, the chemical hammer comes DOWN.

There's no requirement to *want* the placebo to work.  Its very easy to get nausea/vomiting from a placebo effect.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.