News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

And Christians wonder

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 26, 2009, 07:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Template

What's the difference between Christmas seasonal goods and a Yule log?

You'll wait until Yule to burn the Yule log.

Dysnomia

also yule is for payguns. 

That video is just....... :x
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Halfbaked1

When I bought my house I had like six relatives offering to give me some spare christmas lights and a fake tree to make our first Christmas easier.  I loved the looks I got when i informed them that I had no intention of bothering with a tree or all the bloody lights.  I mean, hell, who needs the increased electric bill and I sure as fuck was not gonna put up a buncha damn hand me down lights so I could burn down my newly purchased house.  But the real kicker was when I told em I didn't celebrate Christmas.  Yeah, giving old people coronarys is fun.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My Mormon family STILL doesn't get that I don't celebrate Christmas, even thought it's been 20 fucking years.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

I love Xmas lights even if people have crappy reasons to put them up (even do i only like the electric blue ones)...

theres something appealing about those lights and i love fireworks too...

im sad how halloween seemingly is gonna turn into a one day thing, and how valentines day and xmas just keeps growing and growing and growing....
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on October 26, 2009, 11:20:54 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on October 26, 2009, 09:05:48 PM
um okay, but what's it got to do with Christians?

Um

Christmas?

Also, "What Child is This" would be referring to Jesus, as do almost all Christmas carols, what it it being "Christmas" and all that.

Well, non-christians celebrate Christmas too (with the trees and the lights and santa claus and stuff), plus the bit that I recognized from the song was Hava Naquila, which is Jewish. (meaning I didnt knwo the other song)

What is Halloween? Pagans, right? If someone recorded something retarded to do with Halloween would you think "no wonder Pagans are persecuted"?

Maybe it's different over here, but someone who records a video with cats singing a mashup of christmas songs and a Hebrew folk song isn't automatically Christian in my eyes, and therefore doesn't cause me to want to persecute Christians.

Unless the video also makes people wanna persecute cats, jews, people who sample cats*, people who sample jewish folk songs and uhh ..

Or maybe I really didnt get the point.

How is this video again making Christians persecuted?

*yes Venetian Snares, I mean you, fuckhead, go back to Finland. no I don't care you're really Canadian, you got the beard and the crazy eyes so go back to fucking Finland.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

I celebrate Xmas, too, I really don't give a shit about cats singing, etc.  But the commercialization of it all gets on my nerves.  So do a lot of other commercialized shit, though, too.  I used to love the stores that specialized in Christmas-year-round, but now it's like every department store and convenience store is in on the gag.  And the Xmas music being played for 4 straight weeks in every public place is kinda overdone too.  I'm down with the 2 weeks that is traditional...but more than 4 weeks is overkill imho.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 27, 2009, 12:16:40 PM

Um

Christmas?

Also, "What Child is This" would be referring to Jesus, as do almost all Christmas carols, what it it being "Christmas" and all that.

Well, non-christians celebrate Christmas too (with the trees and the lights and santa claus and stuff), plus the bit that I recognized from the song was Hava Naquila, which is Jewish. (meaning I didnt knwo the other song)

What is Halloween? Pagans, right? If someone recorded something retarded to do with Halloween would you think "no wonder Pagans are persecuted"?

Maybe it's different over here, but someone who records a video with cats singing a mashup of christmas songs and a Hebrew folk song isn't automatically Christian in my eyes, and therefore doesn't cause me to want to persecute Christians.

Unless the video also makes people wanna persecute cats, jews, people who sample cats*, people who sample jewish folk songs and uhh ..

*yes Venetian Snares, I mean you, fuckhead, go back to Finland. no I don't care you're really Canadian, you got the beard and the crazy eyes so go back to fucking Finland.

Halloween has had enough Christianizing influence over here (I don't think anybody celebrates it outside of the USA?), inasmuch as it's "All Hallows Eve," the day before All Saints Day.  You can probably trace the holiday back to non-Christian roots, but you can do that with just about every Christian holiday.

Mostly, it's a corporate holiday and a children's holiday.  The people whining about it being a "pagan" holiday are ignorant.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

LMNO

What?  No mention of Samhain?

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: LMNO on October 27, 2009, 03:58:36 PM

Every culture that has a harvest has some kind of harvest festival.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Rumckle

My favourite is the annual organ harvesting festival.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 27, 2009, 12:16:40 PM

Um

Christmas?

It is a joke, basically saying "People will want to persecute Christians for making this terrible Christmas video".

Halloween is a derivation of All Hallow's Eve. FYI. Not that it's a specifically Christian holiday, but it is a "Christianized" holiday.
Almost all Christian holidays seem to be Christianized versions of Pagan holidays, but so what? They had to start somewhere. And there are some Jewish folk sogs that have been adapted into the Christmas repertoire, because Christianity sprang from Judaism.

Non-Christians may celebrate a Christian holiday, sure. I'm not Jewish but I usually celebrate Passover with my Jewish friends, too. That doesn't make Passover a Discordian holiday, though.

Christmas is the main big Christian holiday. My joke stands, dammit, it stands.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: GA on October 27, 2009, 04:09:39 PM

Samhain is NOT the "harvest festival" in Pagan terms. Thats Lammas, which is the 2nd of August.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Pixie O'Fubar on October 27, 2009, 09:03:08 PM

Samhain is NOT the "harvest festival" in Pagan terms. Thats Lammas, which is the 2nd of August.
A harvest festival in August? That might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Most crops aren't even half way grown by then. Around here harvest is mid October to late November.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Nast

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 27, 2009, 10:00:33 PM
Quote from: Pixie O'Fubar on October 27, 2009, 09:03:08 PM

A harvest festival in August? That might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Most crops aren't even half way grown by then. Around here harvest is mid October to late November.

Might depend what you plant/ local climate. Here all our summer plantings are done by July or August. *shrug*
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."