News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

Calling all cultural commissars

Started by Cain, October 28, 2009, 04:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://townhall.com/columnists/JohnHawkins/2009/10/20/10_horror_movies_for_conservatives_to_watch_this_halloween

OK.  Seriously stop.  Now.  No, put it all down and stop.

I want to have a little chat.  A chat about people who use ideological litmus test's to decide whether or not a piece of art is good.  And how appallingly hack-like these people are.

I'm not just saying this because these people are conservatives, which of course does make them easily mockable (not to mention American conservatives do seem to have a very strange relationship with pop-culture, which often makes them guilty of such things).  I am saying it, because passing down ideological critiques on films is so appallingly easy and pathetic, even I could do it.  Oh look, here is a checklist of my favourite political themes.  Oh look, here is a film.  How many match up?

No no no.  This is not cultural criticism we can believe in.  Occasionally, I believe, we should consider the merits of a piece of art, or lack thereof, based on something other than how it aligns with how we vote.  Is it done competently?  Is it original?  Are themes introduced and dealt with in an interesting fashion?  Do the characters cause us to become emotionally involved? Whether or not they think abortion is bad is of secondary consideration, unless it is an explicit part of the plot.  And I very much doubt arguments for a lower tax rate on those earning over $250,000 per annum is really referenced in any modern horror films, except possible that hideous video they showed at the GOP convention last summer.

When choosing a horror film, I like to know how good it is, how twisty the plot becomes, who is acting in it and, most importantly, if it scares the hell out of me.  I do not care if it goes OMG EVIL CORPORATIONS or YAY AMERICAN MILITARY because I don't watch a film to bask in the reflected glory of my worldview, expressed in the medium of cinema. In short, GTFO you Stalinists.  I like politics as much as the next person, but its not the deciding factor in every damn thing you do.  Unless you are a fanatic. 

The Good Reverend Roger

THIS.

Also, I'd say that the liberals are every bit as bad - or worse - than the conservatives.

As evidence, I offer the banning of "Huckleberry Finn".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Voodoo Chile

This is serious isn't it? This isn't just a troll website created to mock the excesses of the right wing in the US. I suppose that would be too easy for my fragile mind to accept that this is one big joke but there is in fact human beings out there who need some blogger to screen movies for them. Surely if this guy has watched enough movies to make a top 10 conservative horror movies then he has watched a ton of "liberal" movies, Surely he has been irreparably contaminated by watching all that.

And also what kind of logical progression leads someone to believe Cloverfield as the best giant monster movie of all time based on it being "conservative"?

If I was witty, I'm sure you'd be laughing by now.

Requia ☣

The "I'd rather be waterboarding" shirt in the ad on the left is a very nice touch.

I'm tempted to watch all of these and do a '10 movies for liberals to watch'.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Voodoo Chile

I'm just going to do a Top 10 of Top Ten Movie Lists(In no particular order, This perhaps is what annoyed me most about the original blog he didn't rank them!)

Top Ten Movies not to be watched before December 12th
Top Ten Movies for the Amish
Top Ten Movies not to watch while on board an airplane
Top Ten Movies that involve Artificial Neural Networks
Top Ten Movies that include a Top Ten countdown
Top Ten Movies that break the 4th Wall
Top Ten Movies NOT involving Samuel L. Jackson
Top Ten Movies to distract you from actual work
Top Ten Movies you can watch comfortably with a Grandparent
Top Ten Movies never made
If I was witty, I'm sure you'd be laughing by now.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Voodoo Chile on October 28, 2009, 06:36:48 PM
Top Ten Movies you can watch comfortably with a Grandparent

With MY grandfather?  Better bust out the wilder Cagney flicks.  :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Precious Moments Zalgo

I was giggling a little bit, because I open a page titled "10 Horror Movies For Conservatives To Watch This Halloween", and the first thing I see when the page loads is this image:

Which, to me, does seem like a good premise for a horror movie, but I wouldn't expect a Conservative site to admit it.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

President Television

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on October 29, 2009, 12:06:15 AM
I was giggling a little bit, because I open a page titled "10 Horror Movies For Conservatives To Watch This Halloween", and the first thing I see when the page loads is this image:

Which, to me, does seem like a good premise for a horror movie, but I wouldn't expect a Conservative site to admit it.

This.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

President Television

So wait, how do you tell when Palin goes rogue, anyway?
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Johnny

Quote from: Cain on October 28, 2009, 04:00:29 PM
A chat about people who use ideological litmus test's to decide whether or not a piece of art is good. 

Cain, do you not think that your own ideology and tastes implicitly predetermine what movies you like and which ones you dont? (Even do i agree its sad that these people's sense of identity is being "conservative")

If you say no, then you should post your top 10.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Remington

Quote from: JohNyx on October 29, 2009, 04:47:04 AM
Quote from: Cain on October 28, 2009, 04:00:29 PM
A chat about people who use ideological litmus test's to decide whether or not a piece of art is good.  

Cain, do you not think that your own ideology and tastes implicitly predetermine what movies you like and which ones you dont? (Even do i agree its sad that these people's sense of identity is being "conservative")

If you say no, then you should post your top 10.
Of course his ideological beliefs will influence his movie selection, however slightly. What he's saying, though, is that ideological beliefs should not be the only damn thing that determines which movies you watch. You shouldn't watch a movie just so you can have the petty little pleasure of hearing your own worldview coming out of someone else's mouth.

Also, neither should you immediately reject a message because its bias is different from your own (and yes, you are biased).
Is it plugged in?

The Johnny

Quote from: Sir Remington III on October 29, 2009, 05:33:10 AM
Of course his ideological beliefs will influence his movie selection, however slightly. What he's saying, though, is that ideological beliefs should not be the only damn thing that determines which movies you watch. You shouldn't watch a movie just so you can have the petty little pleasure of hearing your own worldview coming out of someone else's mouth.

Also, neither should you immediately reject a message because its bias is different from your own (and yes, you are biased).

Perhaps you could say your top 10 so theres evidence for or against what im saying?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Remington

I don't watch many movies, the Dark Knight is the only one I can think of off-hand.
Is it plugged in?

The Johnny

Gee, wild coincidence that you didnt pick a "chick flick".

-B.F. Skinner