News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Which is the odd one out?

Started by Triple Zero, October 29, 2009, 07:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the odd one out?

item one
item two
item three
item four
item five

Darth Cupcake

The first one.

It's trying too hard to blend in with the others.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Number Two, all of the others have two colors (red/green and black).
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 29, 2009, 07:47:11 PM
#1 - it's the only one which doesn't exhibit any unique properties. I.e. it's a trick question.

doesn't that make #1 unique, however?

OMGPARADOX
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 29, 2009, 07:34:52 PM

please explain your choice in this thread.

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 29, 2009, 08:24:46 PM
#1 - it's the only one which doesn't exhibit any unique properties. I.e. it's a trick question.

OMGPARADOX
I don't think that is a logical paradox. As in, the set contains four irreducible descriptive properties - #1 contains all four, #2-#5 only contain three each:

Is Square | Is Red | Is Large | Has Border

If there were a sixth element - a round, green, small and borderless shape, then there would be no basis for distinction.

Rumckle

There is a case for all of them, but the second one jumped out at me first, so I picked that one.

eta:
Wait, no I pick the big white rectangle in which they are encased.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Rumckle on October 29, 2009, 08:59:40 PM
Wait, no I pick the big white rectangle in which they are encased.

Sir Not-appearing-in-this-poll.....

Cramulus

Can I vote for all of 'em? They're all spags!

oh - also I voted for #1 because it is odd in that there is nothing unique about it.

Chairman Risus

I'm stealing this and putting it on the facebook. May end up posting results if anything interesting shows up.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

#2 annoys me. good enough reason

Iason Ouabache

I picked #4 because I'm intellectually lazy.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Triple Zero

Quote from: fictionpuss on October 29, 2009, 08:51:25 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on October 29, 2009, 07:34:52 PM

please explain your choice in this thread.

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 29, 2009, 08:24:46 PM

OMGPARADOX
I don't think that is a logical paradox. As in, the set contains four irreducible descriptive properties - #1 contains all four, #2-#5 only contain three each:

Is Square | Is Red | Is Large | Has Border

If there were a sixth element - a round, green, small and borderless shape, then there would be no basis for distinction.

put in a table like that, that makes sense, yeah.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Golden Applesauce

These problems never actually have a right answer.  You can always pick one object and create a rule that describes every other element, but not the object chosen.

#1 is the only one with all four properties, #2 is the only one with a white border / no border, #3 is the only one that isn't a square, #4 is the only number which is a perfect square (2x2), #5 is the only one on the extreme right side, #6 is the only one not appearing in the poll, etc.

I had a psych professor who would put these kinds of questions on her exams (only with psychology terms instead of shapes) and seriously expect students to come up with the same rule and answer she did - the questions were weighted double.  For some of them, four of the five terms related to one experiment (but if you thought of a different experiment, all of them were related, or didn't think in terms of experiments but in terms of semantics, a different one was the stand-out.)  Others were weird - sometimes the "answer" was "all but this word have the same root word" - so you couldn't even count on the relation being in the field of psychology.  And if you justified your answer with a rule she didn't like ("it's the only term without a hyphen in it") she just refused to give you credit.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Risus on October 29, 2009, 09:51:48 PM
I'm stealing this and putting it on the facebook. May end up posting results if anything interesting shows up.
I did that too.  I posted the picture along with these lyrics from a Sesame Street song:

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Followed in a comment by:
Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed this one is not like the others,
Then you're absolutely...right!
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

President Television

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on October 29, 2009, 07:55:30 PM
I chose 2 because fuck it, it's the only one without a thick black border.

This is the first one that caught my eye.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.