News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Steampunk + Twitter + Anarchy = Terrorism!

Started by Suu, November 04, 2009, 06:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Rococo Modem Basilisk

From what I gather from this and the other coverage of this story, the guy and all his roommates were arrested and their belongings taken because he relayed some information from a police scanner to twitter.

I wonder if police cars have any central tracking system. Someone could hook it up to google earth or maps or something.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Suu

Yes. Because even though you can legitimately buy a police scanner and listen to it all the time publicly, you cannot post any of that information on the internet, because that makes you a terrorist.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Reginald Ret

Ehm,

1 - It is a legal requirement that a suspect has a trial before being called a criminal.
2 - One can be convicted for terrorism without a trial.
ergo
3 - Terrorism isn't a crime.

so stop acting surprised.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Suu

"Convicted" and "accused" mean two different things. You can be "accused" of anything, including terrorism, but you can't be "convicted" unless you have a trial. Unless our judicial system decided to go inquisition when I wasn't looking.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on November 05, 2009, 01:09:00 AM
"Convicted" and "accused" mean two different things. You can be "accused" of anything, including terrorism, but you can't be "convicted" unless you have a trial. Unless our judicial system decided to go inquisition when I wasn't looking.

:lulz:

You're so cute sometimes, Suu.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Either we're not getting the whole story (likely) or these guys went totally overboard (also likely) and should face sanctions.

the other anonymous

:fap: SANCTIONS! :fap:

-toa,
i have no idea what this post means

Triple Zero

Quote from: Jenne on November 04, 2009, 02:28:15 PM
WHAT IS THIS, IRAN?

Hmmmm so if I overlay stars and stripes on my Twitter avatar, this would help, right?

Quote from: Suu on November 04, 2009, 10:49:20 PM
Yes. Because even though you can legitimately buy a police scanner and listen to it all the time publicly, you cannot post any of that information on the internet, because that makes you a terrorist.

A few years ago I came across an internet radio stream that broadcast the local police scanner live. I haven't been able to find it back again, though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 05, 2009, 09:24:54 PM
Quote from: Jenne on November 04, 2009, 02:28:15 PM
WHAT IS THIS, IRAN?

Hmmmm so if I overlay stars and stripes on my Twitter avatar, this would help, right?

Are you thinking Iran = the US here?  Americans may have Patriot Acts and illegal wiretapping, extraordinary rendition and Gitmo, but I don't know, we're not Iran. 

(not yet)

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A major difference between the US and Iran is that Iran doesn't pretend not to be Iran.

Jenne

To which hyperbolic statements I usually respond with: time for you to visit such a country in order to be able to make that comparison with credibility.

LMNO

Are you saying that my local news doesn't give an accurate reporting of what life in Iran is like?

[/snark]