News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Recipes using whiskey

Started by Jenne, November 04, 2009, 07:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Hey, anyone else have a tried-and-true recipe using whiskey in the cooking?  I thought Nigel's roast recipe inspiring.  Usually I use beer with beer can chicken and beef brisket for St. Paddy's Day, but never whiskey.  I'm thinking I might try those instead.  Anyone have the results for such adventures?

Do tell!

LMNO

In my thread I have a bourbon BBQ sauce, as well as a Bourbon Ginger Apple Pie.

I've also done a whiskey flat-iron steak, and drunken shrimp.

As far as braising in a roast a la Nigel's thread, I winced a little; but since I never tried it before, I'm not going to telly you no.

Jenne

Yeah, I keep meaning to try making a bourbon bbq sauce--I've become a whiz at whipping up my own.

Drunken shrimp sounds fucking awesome.  Can you bbq those?  We're going to a bbq this Saturday, and I think that'd be a hit extraordinaire with those folks (you'd love them, Alphapance--it's this little ranchouse in the middle of the hills in SD's backwoods, where horses roam, and this guy not only has a great pot farm but also his own recording studio where his friends come and "play"--tis nice).

LMNO

Fast n dirty:

Sautee red onion and garlic in a fair amount of butter on low.

Add shrimp and crank up the heat until they just start to turn pink (3-5, depending on size).

Add a few tablespoons of whiskey, and try not to burn your eyebrows off when it goes up in a flash.

When the flames are out, kill the heat, add some chopped parsley, and season to taste.  Serve with rice.

You might want to play around with it, add more heat or other flavors, or whatever you like.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Drunken Shrimp = Awesome (I recommend Tullamore Dew or Jameson)
Adding a touch of the poteen to a Beef/Veg soup is also good.

Sjaantze once steamed brats using whiskey instead of beer... I liked it, she didn't.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on November 04, 2009, 07:32:01 PM
Fast n dirty:

Add shrimp and crank up the heat until they just start to turn pink (3-5, depending on size).

Add a few tablespoons of whiskey, and try not to burn your eyebrows off when it goes up in a flash.

When the flames are out, kill the heat, add some chopped parsley, and season to taste.  Serve with rice.

You might want to play around with it, add more heat or other flavors, or whatever you like.

Thanks!  I think I won't let my husband try this one, I might have to do it.  He burned his hair flambe-ing the plantains the other day.  Such a tard.

Jenne

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on November 04, 2009, 07:33:26 PM
Drunken Shrimp = Awesome (I recommend Tullamore Dew or Jameson)
Adding a touch of the poteen to a Beef/Veg soup is also good.

Sjaantze once steamed brats using whiskey instead of beer... I liked it, she didn't.

Hm...that's an idea--the brats!  Beef and veg soup also a good one.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO on November 04, 2009, 07:32:01 PM
Fast n dirty:

See now I do this with gin.  Add a couple of juniper berries into the saute, finish off with a palmful of capers YUMMMM.  I'll have to try whiskey.  Only ting I've ever used whiskey in is BBQ and candy!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Somewhere around here I posted a recipe for whiskey cake that is sublime.

I tend to just dump whiskey in things to see what happens. Whiskey instead of vanilla (use like 3 times as much whiskey though) in chocolate-chip orange cookies is delicious, BTW. Whiskey instead of wine in almost any tomato-based dish is also tasty as hell. A touch of whiskey in sauteed vegetables gives them a nice depth.

It is an indispensable cooking condiment IMO. I keep a bottle of Old Crow on hand for cooking, but lately I've been using Powers, because I have it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

Soooo fucking delighted by these discoveries!  Thanks!  :D

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on November 04, 2009, 07:20:24 PM
In my thread I have a bourbon BBQ sauce, as well as a Bourbon Ginger Apple Pie.

I've also done a whiskey flat-iron steak, and drunken shrimp.

As far as braising in a roast a la Nigel's thread, I winced a little; but since I never tried it before, I'm not going to telly you no.

I do it a lot, and it's fucking fantastic. Trust me on this one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Beans.  Beans need whiskey.

Quote from: Nigel on November 04, 2009, 08:41:57 PM
Somewhere around here I posted a recipe for whiskey cake that is sublime.

I tend to just dump whiskey in things to see what happens. Whiskey instead of vanilla (use like 3 times as much whiskey though) in chocolate-chip orange cookies is delicious, BTW. Whiskey instead of wine in almost any tomato-based dish is also tasty as hell. A touch of whiskey in sauteed vegetables gives them a nice depth.

It is an indispensable cooking condiment IMO. I keep a bottle of Old Crow on hand for cooking, but lately I've been using Powers, because I have it.

The bourbon cake?  Yeah, it's concentrated awesome.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat