News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

GREYFACE LIVES! (And not where you think!)

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, November 04, 2009, 09:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Many of you are so-called Discordians and SubGenii are probably still blundering and toiling under the  :fnord: Curse of Greyface* :evilmad: (adherence to or application of unnecessary and/or destructive order and control, see footnote) without even knowing it. Many you may think you have freed yourself from his curse, but most of you are WRONG, you poor deluded fools... He lurks where you least expect it! he bends the knees and crushes the mind yet none behold the hand that smites! Beware of destructive order! Fear Him!

:roflcake: All of the following are of the Curse of Greyface (although some may be unexpected),  
All of them Being either: Order imposed for no reason, or situations where chaos would work just as well (or better), Or else Order of an actually destructive nature:

•   Spaying or Neutering Your Pets− In fact, any attempt to control thepe population. They talk about how many unwanted animals ae euthanized in animal shelters each year, but that is a problem which arises not from animal population, but from attempts to control it. We could make the number of unwanted animals euthanized each year drop instantly to zero if we just shut down the animal shelters and admitted to ourselves that there is no more need to control the population of stray cats and dogs than there is to control the populations or squirrels or songbirds , nor is there any reason other than unmitigated hubris to believe that animals of any sort are or even could be significantly worse off without us in their lives.
•   Yardwork and Lawn Care− You probably spend a great deal of your time inside and most likely so do your neighbors. If you really have business just hanging around on your lawn all the time (or if your neighbors have business staring at it all hours of the day and night) instead of either doing something inside or else going somewhere more interesting than a stupid boring residential lawn (such as a public pool, or a video arcade, or a skate park, or (if you live near the seashore) the beach or the boardwalk, or a bowling alley, or the park) then by all means, keep your yard tidy, but if not, I really do not see what good it will do for you. Plus its bad for the environment, because not only do most lawnmowers have very low fuel−efficiency (and large "Carbon−Footprints" to use a hackneyed and banal popular cliché), and not only are chemical yard treatments bad for local wildlife (especially frogs and salamanders and other cute littkle amphibians), but also, cutting the grass reduces the grass's avaible photosynthetic surfaces, and that means less photosysnthesis and thus less carbon dioxide removed from the air and less oxygen given off
•   Trying To Help Control The Human Population by Not Reproducing− The fact of the matter is, that in the long run, all that this will accomplish is to reduce the overall occurrences of any genetic predisposition towards having a social conscience within the human gene pool. If you care enough about overpopulation to want to do something about it, then you should try to stop other people from reproducing.
•   Abortion− This is a clearly a form of destructive order. Furthermore, it lends itself to the advancement of eugenics−related ideas; Weeding out those who are "disordered" before they can even be born. While this may have some valid upshots it is stlll far, far worse than the alternative; I'd sooner see this species devolve into barely animate wads of slime than let its gene−pool be controlled by what the pinks and the mediocretin normals think is and isn't "Disordered"
•   Tidying the House− This is only a good thing to do if it actually makes things easier to use; If you've memorized and gotten used to your possessions locations where they are strewn about the house, and if the places where things are used are far from the places where they are stored, and if you can still move around the house, then the small aesthetic benefit gained from having a tidy home is probably (and in fact, almost definitely) far more trouble than its worth.

:FFF:

*For those of you unfamiliar with the parable of Greyface and the/his curse, I will reiterate it here. Greyface, (whether or not he literally exists or not, doesn't matter) is a far more potent figure of negative slack than Satan or even NHGH and Hyper-NHGH, and it is important to know what he is and what you are up against:

Thousands of years ago, a malcontented hunchbrain by the name of Greyface, got it into his head that the universe was as humorless as he, and he began to teach that play was sinful because it contradicted the ways of Serious Order. ``Look at all the order around you,'' he said. And from that, he deluded honest men to believe that reality was a straightjacket affair and not the happy romance as men had known it.
     It is not presently understood why men were so gullible at that particular time, for absolutely no one thought to observe all the disorder around them and conclude just the opposite. But anyway, Greyface and his followers took the game of playing at life more seriously than they took life itself and were known even to destroy other living beings whose ways of life differed from their own.
     The unfortunate result of this is that mankind has since been suffering from a psychological and spiritual imbalance. Imbalance causes frustration, and frustration causes fear. And fear makes for a bad trip. Man has been on a bad trip for a long time now.
     It is called THE CURSE OF GREYFACE.
     To choose order over disorder, or disorder over order, is to accept a trip composed of both the creative and the destructive. But to choose the creative over the destructive is an all-creative trip composed of both order and disorder. To accomplish this, one need only accept creative disorder along with, and equal to, creative order, and also willing to reject destructive order as an undesirable equal to destructive disorder.
     The Curse of Greyface included the division of life into order/disorder as the essential positive/negative polarity, instead of building a game foundation with creative/destructive as the essential positive/negative. He has thereby caused man to endure the destructive aspects of order and has prevented man from effectively participating in the creative uses of disorder. Civilization reflects this unfortunate division.
     POEE proclaims that the other division is preferable, and we work toward the proposition that creative disorder, like creative order, is possible and desirable; and that destructive order, like destructive disorder, is unnecessary and undesirable.
     Seek the Sacred Chao -- therein you will find the foolishness of all ORDER/DISORDER. They are the same!
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Jenne

Hm.  Um, no.

Go to Mexico--see all you hold above to be "work of the Greyface" turned on its ear, and you'll see that what you're really talking about is just ANOTHER kind of Greyface.  That of not giving a shit about anything or anyone.

Dogs and cats milling around refuse, feral, does not equal a balancing out.  Just makes them diseased and dangerous to be around.  Not cutting grass leads to pestilence, and so does not cleaning your damned house.

You don't live with an asthmatic, do you?

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on November 04, 2009, 09:36:35 PM
Hm.  Um, no.

Go to Mexico--see all you hold above to be "work of the Greyface" turned on its ear, and you'll see that what you're really talking about is just ANOTHER kind of Greyface.  That of not giving a shit about anything or anyone.

Dogs and cats milling around refuse, feral, does not equal a balancing out.  Just makes them diseased and dangerous to be around.  Not cutting grass leads to pestilence, and so does not cleaning your damned house.

Hush.  He's telling us how to be REALLY REALLY REAL DISCORDIANS FOR REALNESS™.

:lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Kai

Common sense, as uncommon as it can be, is needed.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 04, 2009, 09:45:59 PM
Hm.  Um, no.

Hush.  He's telling us how to be REALLY REALLY REAL DISCORDIANS FOR REALNESS™.

:lulz:

Meh.  How often do I have to be told how to not grey mah face?  Jaysus.

The Good Reverend Roger

Okay, I'll play this game.

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 04, 2009, 09:30:08 PM
Many of you are so-called Discordians and SubGenii are probably still blundering and toiling under the  :fnord: Curse of Greyface

We are not REAL Discordians and Subgenii, folks.  But fear not!  A guru has come along to show us the way!

:roflcake: All of the following are of the Curse of Greyface (although some may be unexpected),  
All of them Being either: Order imposed for no reason, or situations where chaos would work just as well (or better), Or else Order of an actually destructive nature:

There is no "order" and "disorder", or "destructive" or "constructive", Slappy.  There is only chaos.

•   Spaying or Neutering Your Pets− In fact, any attempt to control thepe population.

Translation:  The world needs more mammals.

•   Yardwork and Lawn Care− You probably spend a great deal of your time inside and most likely so do your neighbors. If you really have business just hanging around on your lawn all the time (or if your neighbors have business staring at it all hours of the day and night) instead of either doing something inside or else going somewhere more interesting than a stupid boring residential lawn (such as a public pool, or a video arcade, or a skate park, or (if you live near the seashore) the beach or the boardwalk, or a bowling alley, or the park) then by all means, keep your yard tidy, but if not, I really do not see what good it will do for you.

Translation:  What you find aesthetically pleasing is meaningless.  Shandor will tell you what looks nice.

•   Trying To Help Control The Human Population by Not Reproducing

TRANSLATION:  There aren't enough people in the world.  Everywhere should be like China, with people shoulder to shoulder.

•   Abortion− This is a clearly a form of destructive order.

TRANSLATION:  There aren't enough unwanted babies in the world.  Unwanted babies are a desirable thing.  

•   Tidying the House− This is only a good thing to do if it actually makes things easier to use; If you've memorized and gotten used to your possessions locations where they are strewn about the house, and if the places where things are used are far from the places where they are stored, and if you can still move around the house, then the small aesthetic benefit gained from having a tidy home is probably (and in fact, almost definitely) far more trouble than its worth.

Translation:  Live in a pigsty, that never causes fire or trip hazards.  Or disease.

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 04, 2009, 09:30:08 PM*For those of you unfamiliar with the parable of Greyface and the/his curse, I will reiterate it here.

Translation:  Nobody here has read the PD or RAW, and if you were, you were too stupid to understand it.  Our new guru will explain it to you.  Slowly.  In small words.

Remember, kids:  Your Discordia is really just a vehicle for Shandor's sophomoric causes.  You are his personal army.  Now, get out there and spread the word!

Cramulus

I couldn't tell if this was tongue-in-cheek or not.  In that, I am amused.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on November 04, 2009, 10:34:26 PM
I couldn't tell if this was tongue-in-cheek or not.  In that, I am amused.

I thought it was, at first.  Later into it, I realized these are causes near and dear to his heart.

In that, *I* am amused.

Kai

I'm against realness. I'mma gonna start the Unreally Unreal Discordians for Unrealness (Unreally!) Club.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Rumckle

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote•   Spaying or Neutering Your Pets− In fact, any attempt to control thepe population. They talk about how many unwanted animals ae euthanized in animal shelters each year, but that is a problem which arises not from animal population, but from attempts to control it. We could make the number of unwanted animals euthanized each year drop instantly to zero if we just shut down the animal shelters and admitted to ourselves that there is no more need to control the population of stray cats and dogs than there is to control the populations or squirrels or songbirds , nor is there any reason other than unmitigated hubris to believe that animals of any sort are or even could be significantly worse off without us in their lives.

Because of feral cats, the native birds of Hawaii (and many other islands, I'm sure) are extinct or badly endangered.

Also, wild mammals running around spread rabies amongst each other. Which is totally desirable and trying to avoid rabies is just another tool of Teh Greyface!!!11!!!1

Quote•   Tidying the House− This is only a good thing to do if it actually makes things easier to use; If you've memorized and gotten used to your possessions locations where they are strewn about the house, and if the places where things are used are far from the places where they are stored, and if you can still move around the house, then the small aesthetic benefit gained from having a tidy home is probably (and in fact, almost definitely) far more trouble than its worth.

I'm glad you've come up with a philosophical way to justify letting your domicile be sloppy. Now shut the fuck up and stop telling people what's right and what's wrong about the way they live. Some people are simply uncomfortable in messy homes; but of course people with OCD or a predisposition towards neatness aren't really people, what am I thinking?

Cainad (dec.)

I just realized that Shandor is my awful neighbor from back in the Catskills. House is a mess, lawn is unkempt and overgrown, cats breeding and inbreeding all over the place and spilling into neighbor's yards, and popping out baby after baby whether they wanted one or not.

I assume property laws are also tools of Greyface, and it's totally unreasonable of me to be pissed that you parked a junker car on my front lawn because you have twice as many vehicles as you can fit in your garage and driveway?

If you're comfortable with living like that, enjoy yourself. Stay the fuck out of my neighborhood, though, because I reserve the right to be a passive-aggressive dick over the fact that your mere presence has reduced the value of my home.

The Johnny

EDit: yea, what the others said, you seem to like rabies, being a slob, and not tolerating different notions of aesthetics.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Mexico whut?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner