News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

GREYFACE LIVES! (And not where you think!)

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, November 04, 2009, 09:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cainad on November 05, 2009, 12:51:57 AM
Quote•   Tidying the House− This is only a good thing to do if it actually makes things easier to use; If you've memorized and gotten used to your possessions locations where they are strewn about the house, and if the places where things are used are far from the places where they are stored, and if you can still move around the house, then the small aesthetic benefit gained from having a tidy home is probably (and in fact, almost definitely) far more trouble than its worth.

I'm glad you've come up with a philosophical way to justify letting your domicile be sloppy. Now shut the fuck up and stop telling people what's right and what's wrong about the way they live. Some people are simply uncomfortable in messy homes; but of course people with OCD or a predisposition towards neatness aren't really people, what am I thinking?

I didn't say that neatness was wrong, I said that the belief that neatness* is important is wrong.

As for OCD, I myself actually HAVE obsessive-compulsive disorder, and my experiance with it in fact is in large part what led me to the belief that tidiness and aesthetic concerns are insane. I came to the realization that concerns about appearance, other than as it relates to function (and especially if they are contrary to what is functional) is no different to my need to flick the lights on and off four times before finally turning them on or my need to always have the edges of all stacked objects (escpecially books) be perfectly paralell*** also, I don't like to erase things (Even when I'm typing online, a lot of the time I'll just use the "strikethru" tag instead of deleting something that I've written); It serves no purpose, it merely fulfills a useless urge that does nothing for us except make us feel mildly uncomfortable if it is left unfulfilled.

Just because more conventional aesthetic concerns are more common it doesn't make them any less insane. The only difference with more popular inclination is that in this case the inmates are running the asylum. And I don't think that its right for one group of inmates to pick on the rest of the inmates...

* And let me make it clear that I am talking here specifically about "Neatness" and "Tidiness" here, in the sense of "A place for everything and everything in its place" (and of worrying about creating positive aesthetic appeal in one's house), that is the rationale that I am attacking.
I AM NOT however, attacking "cleanliness" in the sense of not having dirt and old rotting food everywhere creating an actual health hazard; I fully understand and acknowledge the purpose of that**.

** Provided that you don't go overboard and give yourself worse health problems from inhaling bleach fumes than you would have gotten from whatever you just cleaned up. That isn't something that is likely to happen of course, but when I notice this kind of unlikely exception I never feel right unless I point it out.

***(both with each other, as well as with whatever table they are on (if any****) and with the wall of the room (the table usually takes precedence if it, itself, is not aligned with the wall (which is a situation that, itself, will drive me crazy if its on a day when the pharmacy has kept me waiting on a refill of my medication)))

**** Often I stuff in my bedroom is stacked on the floor
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 05, 2009, 03:42:06 AM
Quote from: Cainad on November 05, 2009, 12:51:57 AM
Quote•   Tidying the House− This is only a good thing to do if it actually makes things easier to use; If you've memorized and gotten used to your possessions locations where they are strewn about the house, and if the places where things are used are far from the places where they are stored, and if you can still move around the house, then the small aesthetic benefit gained from having a tidy home is probably (and in fact, almost definitely) far more trouble than its worth.

I'm glad you've come up with a philosophical way to justify letting your domicile be sloppy. Now shut the fuck up and stop telling people what's right and what's wrong about the way they live. Some people are simply uncomfortable in messy homes; but of course people with OCD or a predisposition towards neatness aren't really people, what am I thinking?

I didn't say that neatness was wrong, I said that the belief that neatness* is important is wrong.

No, you didn't. Maybe that's what you meant, but it's not what you said.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 04, 2009, 10:04:52 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 04, 2009, 09:30:08 PM*For those of you unfamiliar with the parable of Greyface and the/his curse, I will reiterate it here.

Translation:  Nobody here has read the PD or RAW, and if you were, you were too stupid to understand it.  Our new guru will explain it to you.  Slowly.  In small words.

This essay was originally written for a larger publication that was posted on a different website which focused more on the SubGenius than the Discordian end of things. Just as on this site all of you have read the Principia Discordia but a couple have not read the Book of the SubGenius (or at least may not be intimately familiar with it), so too I made an allowance for people on the original site who had read the Book of the SubGenius but were not necessarily intimately familiar with the Principia Discordia...
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Johnny

Maybe you could try re-writing it for the purpose of clearness of terms and definitions?

Because if you admit that your terms are murky, then the attacks are based on "misunderstandings" which you should correct.

Edit: Maybe its not an enough incentive, but id comment it with as much seriousness as i could muster.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

the other anonymous

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 05, 2009, 03:52:57 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 04, 2009, 09:30:08 PM*For those of you unfamiliar with the parable of Greyface and the/his curse, I will reiterate it here.

Translation:  Nobody here has read the PD or RAW, and if you were, you were too stupid to understand it.  Our new guru will explain it to you.  Slowly.  In small words.

This essay was originally written for a larger publication that was posted on a different website which focused more on the SubGenius than the Discordian end of things. Just as on this site all of you have read the Principia Discordia but a couple have not read the Book of the SubGenius (or at least may not be intimately familiar with it), so too I made an allowance for people on the original site who had read the Book of the SubGenius but were not necessarily intimately familiar with the Principia Discordia...

And everybody here disagrees with it! How... representative!

-toa,
with pr firms like these...

President Television

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 05, 2009, 03:46:36 AM

The physical mechanics of that emoticon boggle the mind.
No, wait, I see it now. That's rather strange.

ANYWAY, I must object to the notion that Discordianism dictates that one should live one's life in as messy of a condition as possible. No, I am not the neatest or most organized person in the world, and I do personally prefer a relaxed take on the subject of tidiness, but it does have its uses. I must protest your rejection of abortion, as well. I don't consider it to be particularly moral myself, but I'm a firm believer that the decision of abortion should be placed squarely on the mother. I don't think the morality of a complex issue like abortion can or should be decided from an abstract stance, especially by somebody who will never be in the position of having to make that choice(I'm assuming you're a guy- sue me).
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 05, 2009, 03:52:57 AM

Translation:  Nobody here has read the PD or RAW, and if you were, you were too stupid to understand it.  Our new guru will explain it to you.  Slowly.  In small words.

Yeah?  Link?

And you said MOST of us.  MOST.  Not SOME.  Not a COUPLE.  MOST.

Dude, you even used the "teacher" emote with a straight face.  :lulz:

You're a dumbshit, and all the backpedaling in the world won't change that.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

East Coast Hustle

I don't think he was saying that abortion should be outlawed. In fact, I know he wasn't.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: JohNyx on November 05, 2009, 03:53:03 AM
Maybe you could try re-writing it for the purpose of clearness of terms and definitions?

Because if you admit that your terms are murky, then the attacks are based on "misunderstandings" which you should correct.

Horseshit.  He proudly stepped to the podium, opened his mouth, and started trying to swallow his foot.

Now he's backpedaling like a BIG FUCKING PUSSY, instead of just apologizing for the blanket insult, and then being smart and letting the series of farts that his OP consists of sort of drift down the page.

East Coast Hustle

I also have learned that my occasional impulse to defend someone whose ideas are being (mostly deliberately) misinterpreted always ends up in tears, so I'll stop now.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 05, 2009, 04:15:02 AM
I also have learned that my occasional impulse to defend someone whose ideas are being (mostly deliberately) misinterpreted always ends up in tears, so I'll stop now.
Redacted.  Same old tired shit, 2 years later.

President Television

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 05, 2009, 04:14:01 AM
I don't think he was saying that abortion should be outlawed. In fact, I know he wasn't.

No, but I don't think abortion is as simple as yes or no from an abstract position, even if you're not talking about outlawing it.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 04, 2009, 09:30:08 PM
•   Spaying or Neutering Your Pets− In fact, any attempt to control thepe population.

Translation:  The world needs more mammals.

on my holiday in Turkey a lot of stray kittens were around the hotel. they were very cute but they also had fleas. next year they were all gone btw. but srsly, diseases and LOADS OF CATS ALL OVER THE PLACE is bad y0.

I dunno if the same would happen with dogs btw? They don't multiply as much when they go stray, or something? Or maybe I just haven't been to a place where it happened.

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 04, 2009, 09:30:08 PM
•   Tidying the House− This is only a good thing to do if it actually makes things easier to use; If you've memorized and gotten used to your possessions locations where they are strewn about the house, and if the places where things are used are far from the places where they are stored, and if you can still move around the house, then the small aesthetic benefit gained from having a tidy home is probably (and in fact, almost definitely) far more trouble than its worth.

Translation:  Live in a pigsty, that never causes fire or trip hazards.  Or disease.

QFT. I'm pretty sure my house burning down would not have happened if my flatmate's room had not been a garbage belt filled with crap, leftovers, paper, wrappings and packaging just waiting to accidentally catch on fire one day.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Quote from: Kai on November 04, 2009, 10:49:28 PM
I'm against realness. I'mma gonna start the Unreally Unreal Discordians for Unrealness (Unreally!) Club.

:hashishim:

Also Shandor, if you are planning on publishing this somewhere in the outside world, could you please remove all the direct references to "Discordianism"?  I'd rather not be associated with your belief system.