News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Ft. hOOd

Started by KopyKat253, November 06, 2009, 12:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think is likely?

They want us to think it was extremism
3 (21.4%)
It actualy is extremism
3 (21.4%)
It's the same people that were after Lord Omar.
4 (28.6%)
Its all obamas fault.
2 (14.3%)
It was just a bad acid trip!
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: rygD on November 17, 2009, 05:01:17 PM
I said it in jest.  But, I figured you would want as many to die as possible.  I know I frequently wish for the deaths of some. 

I don't want anyone to die.  I just want them off my planet.   :)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

rygD

Quote from: Cain on November 17, 2009, 05:12:41 PM
Quote from: rygD on November 17, 2009, 04:07:26 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 17, 2009, 08:08:39 AM
Having learnt more, I'm leaning towards either self-radicalization or psychotic break as a motive.  Either would explain his actions quite well. 

This will probably explain me when I finally just give in, as well.

Damn I hate self-radicalizers.  None of the group models apply to them, it's very possible they could be crazy or mentally ill, and they're almost impossible to catch.

That isn't a reason to hate them, that is a reason to hope for more.

But I can't get paid for saying "they're unpredictable".

I could, at least, in theory, get paid for what I know about groups of terrorists, the social dynamics.  There is a predictive element there.

Of course, this assumes someone paying me for doing something other than serve drinks, make steak and kidney pie or prepare a salad, which is very unlikely.

There is work out there for you, and I see no reason for you not to be able to get a job doing such work.  You may not like working for the government, so maybe go do some freelance writing for newspapers and magazines or something, if you can.  That may be a bit more rough to get your foot in the door, but it gives you something to start with, and gives you a few more options if you become successful .  Or you can write books.

Perhaps one day you will be paying someone for preparing and serving  food and drinks for you.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Iason Ouabache

Having learnt more, I'm leaning towards either self-radicalization or psychotic break as a motive.  Either would explain his actions quite well.  He seemed to be hanging around with, talking to and looking at material produced by Islamic militants, but the question is whether that was what influenced him in the first place, or if he went looking for it for an excuse.

Damn I hate self-radicalizers.  None of the group models apply to them, it's very possible they could be crazy or mentally ill, and they're almost impossible to catch.
I think that they could have caught him without also alienating every single Muslim in the service. At the very least his power point presentation on Muslims in the military and the people he was e-mailing should have been a red flag that he needed a psych evaluation. Like you said, it's impossible to predict them ahead of time, but people can catch this in real time if they pay attention to the warning signs. A lot of people dropped the ball on this.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

rygD

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 17, 2009, 05:15:05 PM
Quote from: rygD on November 17, 2009, 05:01:17 PM
I said it in jest.  But, I figured you would want as many to die as possible.  I know I frequently wish for the deaths of some. 

I don't want anyone to die.  I just want them off my planet.   :)

See, you are so nice.  Perhaps that is why you can function better socially.  I still will enjoy my thoughts of torturous death.

Cain

Quote from: rygD on November 17, 2009, 05:54:43 PMThere is work out there for you, and I see no reason for you not to be able to get a job doing such work.  You may not like working for the government, so maybe go do some freelance writing for newspapers and magazines or something, if you can.  That may be a bit more rough to get your foot in the door, but it gives you something to start with, and gives you a few more options if you become successful .  Or you can write books.

Perhaps one day you will be paying someone for preparing and serving  food and drinks for you.

Actually, I'm literally not allowed to.  Dual national means I am teh untrustworthy, despite the fact Australia is the UK's second closest military ally. 

Freelance is something I've been trying to get into, but there are problems over here with the newspaper industry...almost as bad as the US, in fact.  I'm blogging on the topic, and attracting some interest, but nothing that is paying, for the moment.

LMNO

[just saying]

If you self-published a book collecting your previous essays on politics and IR, I'd buy it.

[/just saying]

Cain

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on November 17, 2009, 05:55:40 PM
Having learnt more, I'm leaning towards either self-radicalization or psychotic break as a motive.  Either would explain his actions quite well.  He seemed to be hanging around with, talking to and looking at material produced by Islamic militants, but the question is whether that was what influenced him in the first place, or if he went looking for it for an excuse.

I think that they could have caught him without also alienating every single Muslim in the service. At the very least his power point presentation on Muslims in the military and the people he was e-mailing should have been a red flag that he needed a psych evaluation. Like you said, it's impossible to predict them ahead of time, but people can catch this in real time if they pay attention to the warning signs. A lot of people dropped the ball on this.

In this case, yes.  However generally, self-starters are hard to catch without some pretty serious civil liberties violations.  If Hasan hadn't been so outspoken, and only used a personal, home computer (complete with off-the-shelf encryption) for his travails around the jihadi-net, I very much doubt anyone would've caught him at all.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on November 17, 2009, 05:59:45 PM
[just saying]

If you self-published a book collecting your previous essays on politics and IR, I'd buy it.

[/just saying]

My past ones aren't worth it.  A new collection probably would be, if I put more thought into it.

I've been meaning to do over the PFLD blog anyway, with a more focused approach, so we will see.  I'm hesistant about selling anything with my real name on it that can be linked back to here, for obvious reasons.

LMNO

It might be interesting to publish under the nom-de-plume "Cain", actually.

rygD

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on November 17, 2009, 05:55:40 PM

I know who he could have had check him out...oh wait...

The thing is Iason, a lot of things that should get looked into don't, especially with Officers.  They can (sometimes) get away with murder.  I am not sure why this is, as I have never really been too worried to tell officers what I think.  I usually am more worried about 1SGs and CSMs who are out to crush balls.  They tend to fuck up my life more (why don't we have people guard the porta-shitters so no one writes in them, make sure to wear all your shit so you look like a major douche, then check it out after they are done in there).  I don't know why it seems Officers are untouchable though, as they shouldn't be, and it may just be this Division.

rygD

Quote from: Cain on November 17, 2009, 05:58:41 PM

Actually, I'm literally not allowed to.  Dual national means I am teh untrustworthy, despite the fact Australia is the UK's second closest military ally. 

Australian camo looks funny. (But so do ACUs and ABUs.  Also, they do not work, unless you lay face down in gravel or are in the mountains).

rygD

[just saying]

[/just saying]

Seconded.  I like reading what you have to say, I have just never had the time to keep up.  I might enjoy it more if I followed politics better, which you help with.

Iason Ouabache

[just saying]

[/just saying]
Thirded. I'd actually probably buy 2 and give a copy to my friend, Sean.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

OK, I'll do something then.

I can't promise a deadline, of course....