News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

PMZ's beer making fread

Started by Precious Moments Zalgo, November 07, 2009, 05:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Precious Moments Zalgo

I'll be brewing an English-style IPA tomorrow.  I brewed the same style in May and that batch is almost gone.  I entered a few bottles in a homebrew competition, and I tweaked the recipe in response to the judges' comments.  I'm dropping the bitterness by about 1/3 (44 ibu's instead of 58) and using a more flavorful base malt (maris otter instead of British pale).

10 lb Maris Otter
1 lb German Munich
1/2 lb Crystal 40L
1/2 lb Belgian Biscuit
1/2 lb American Wheat

Single infusion at 154°

45 g Fuggles @ 60 min
45 g Fuggles @ 30 min
15 g Styrian Bobek @ 12 min
15 g Styrian Bobek @ 2 min
15 g Styrian Bobek - dry hop
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Pics pls

Actually, one of the things I'm going to do with my newfound prosperity (assuming it takes) is build another kegerator (I foolishly gave the last one to my ex) and start brewing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Nigel on November 08, 2009, 12:10:39 AM
Pics pls
These are the only pics I took.

Quote from: Nigel on November 08, 2009, 12:10:39 AMActually, one of the things I'm going to do with my newfound prosperity (assuming it takes) is build another kegerator (I foolishly gave the last one to my ex) and start brewing.
Good luck, I hope that works out.

I still bottle everything.  No place to put a kegerator.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on November 08, 2009, 01:03:27 AM

Dude your dog is like 8 feet long and its back end is a different breed from its front end. Also it seems to have an extra leg.

How the hell do you manage that?

Suu

PUPPIES!

PUPPIES DRINKING BEERS!

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Quote from: Cainad on November 08, 2009, 01:56:41 AM
Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on November 08, 2009, 01:03:27 AM

Dude your dog is like 8 feet long and its back end is a different breed from its front end. Also it seems to have an extra leg and a drinking problem.

How the hell do you manage that?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Precious Moments Zalgo

:lulz:

I don't give her very much.  Two ounces is about all she can handle.

rong

my dog behaves so much better when i give him some beer.  dog LOVES beer. 
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Triple Zero

I forgot it was either cats or dogs, I suppose it must have been cats then, that you should never ever give alcohol because their liver cannot process it, or not very well, which means it gets drunk from a tablespoon of wine and any more might kill it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

rong

i think i heard something similar to this, but it had something to do with you should never give dogs raisins (and therefore, wine) - something to do with grapes and or their skins.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: rong on November 08, 2009, 07:45:44 PM
i think i heard something similar to this, but it had something to do with you should never give dogs raisins (and therefore, wine) - something to do with grapes and or their skins.

Yeah, they shouldn't eat grapes or raisins. It doesn't affect all dogs, but you never know which one is going to drop dead from it.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Nigel on November 08, 2009, 09:18:24 PM
Quote from: rong on November 08, 2009, 07:45:44 PM

Yeah, they shouldn't eat grapes or raisins. It doesn't affect all dogs, but you never know which one is going to drop dead from it.
I have read that hops are really bad for dogs for the same reason that chocolate is.  The amount of they can get from drinking beer is well below the no observable adverse effect level, but you definitely want to keep dogs away from raw or spent hops.

Here's a pic of fermentation in process:

Edited to add: Here's the link to the study.
A dog would be sick from alcohol poisoning long before it drank enough beer to be affected by the hops.

Sir Squid Diddimus