News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

You know, Saudi Arabia isn't always bad

Started by Cain, November 08, 2009, 01:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I mean, it still mostly is, of course.  But sometimes, their insane punishments actually do fit the crime:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26301015-401,00.html

QuoteA SAUDI court of cassation upheld a ruling to behead and crucify a 22-year-old man convicted of raping five children and leaving one of them to die in the desert, newspapers reported today.

The convict was arrested earlier this year after a seven-year old boy helped police in their investigation. The child left in the desert after the rape was three years old, Okaz newspaper said.

International rights groups have accused the kingdom, the birthplace of Islam, of applying draconian justice, beheading murderers, rapists and drug traffickers in public.

In this case, I am fairly convinced this was a proportionate response.

Messier Undertree

Torture and public execution is cool and all, assuming that no one is ever wrongly convicted. And I'm sure that never happens in Saudi Arabia.

Cain

Naturally.  I'm rarely in favour of capital punishment unless its certain someone did it, and while I do not know the facts of this particular case, if he was in fact guilty, then the punishment was pretty apt.

The system is broken, but even a broken clock, etc...

the other anonymous

He's only being punished because the victim is a boy. Had the victim been a girl, they'd be building statues in his honor.

Proportionate response my ass.

-toa,
doesn't know what he's talking about, but playing the odds

Precious Moments Zalgo

I had to read the rest of the article, because when I read he was to be beheaded and crucified, my first question was, "In what order?"

Quote from: the other anonymous on November 08, 2009, 05:57:26 PM
He's only being punished because the victim is a boy. Had the victim been a girl, they'd be beheading the girl instead, and making the guy pay restitution to the girl's father for damaging his property.
Fixed.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on November 08, 2009, 07:17:46 PM
I had to read the rest of the article, because when I read he was to be beheaded and crucified, my first question was, "In what order?"

He's only being punished because the victim is a boy. Had the victim been a girl, they'd be beheading the girl instead, and making the guy pay restitution to the girl's father for damaging his property.
Fixed.

The article doesn't say what sex any of the children are, other than the seven-year-old who helped ID the guy... and that doesn't even say whether the seven-year-old was one of the victims himself.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

the other anonymous

Quote from: Nigel on November 08, 2009, 07:22:49 PM

Fixed.

The article doesn't say what sex any of the children are, other than the seven-year-old who helped ID the guy... and that doesn't even say whether the seven-year-old was one of the victims himself.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/106827/Paedophile-beheaded-and-then-crucified/

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: the other anonymous on November 08, 2009, 07:26:23 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 08, 2009, 07:22:49 PM

Fixed.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/106827/Paedophile-beheaded-and-then-crucified/

That link goes to a redirect page for me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

If you hit stop before it redirects you can read it.  the 7 year old was one of the victims, and the kid left to die was a boy as well.  However I don't know if Saudi makes a habit of killing female victims like toa suggests and am not necessarily endorsing that opinion.

I don't really see beheading as that draconian though (beyond the whole killing people thing).  Its not the most humane way to kill somebody, but its not any worse than electrocuting them or injecting a paralysis poison before the main poison so that people can't hear the guy screaming as he dies.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

KopyKat253

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 08, 2009, 10:00:14 PM
If you hit stop before it redirects you can read it.  the 7 year old was one of the victims, and the kid left to die was a boy as well. However I don't know if Saudi makes a habit of killing female victims like toa suggests and am not necessarily endorsing that opinion.

I don't really see beheading as that draconian though (beyond the whole killing people thing).  Its not the most humane way to kill somebody, but its not any worse than electrocuting them or injecting a paralysis poison before the main poison so that people can't hear the guy screaming as he dies.
He's only being punished because the victim is a boy. Had the victim been a girl, they'd be building statues in his honor.

Proportionate response my ass.

-toa,
doesn't know what he's talking about, but playing the odds

Fixed.
That just goes to show you cant believe everything you read.
Keep It Simple Stupid
Write for the masses. Don't use to many big words.
The mob doesn't like lexicographers.

the other anonymous

Quote from: KopyKat253 on November 08, 2009, 11:29:22 PM
That just goes to show you cant believe everything you read.

In most areas, they call it honor killing.

-toa,
wishing I couldn't believe everything I read

rygD

This thread reminds me of bad, bad things that can happen in some of these countries.  I know of a family that all got killed except for the youngest brother and sister.  The sister got shot, but survived.  The brother, who was hiding, carried her to the police.  She was given to Coalition forces in the area to get fixed up, but we may have held onto her for too long trying to stabalise her.  They were both only like 5 or 7.  I am pretty sure the brother, since he was already likely working, was ok if he had somewhere to live (perhaps he inherited everything), but I worry for the girl. 

Had thoughts of trying to adopt her...
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

the other anonymous

Quote from: rygD on November 09, 2009, 01:21:55 AM
This thread reminds me of bad, bad things that can happen in some of these countries.

Your country, too. No one is immune.

-toa,
some reference to whatever metaphor we're currently playing with

rygD

True, but at least we try to prevent having our orphan girls sold into prostitution or whatever because they got medical treatment from outsiders.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

the other anonymous

Quote from: rygD on November 09, 2009, 02:29:12 AM
True, but at least we try to prevent having our orphan girls sold into prostitution or whatever because they got medical treatment from outsiders.

No, "we" don't sell them into prostitution. The Current Metaphor doesn't spend its money unless it has to.

As for medical treatment, pay attention: "we" are protesting their right to medical care -- some are saying that pap smears are the new abortion.

Same shit, different national identity.

-toa,
reads those blogs