News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

Stencils

Started by Chief Uwachiquen, November 10, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Uwachiquen

Does anyone here have any experience making a custom stencil? If so, what's the easiest material to work with while, simultaneously, being capable of having some semblance of a life span? Something relatively resilient but at the same time, cheap and easy enough to cut a stencil out of it that I won't require power tools. My first thought is cardboard but I imagine it'd get flimsy and unreliable after getting paint on it a few times. Then again I've never USED a stencil for painting purposes before.

Roaring Biscuit!

a sheet of acetate, its not super easy to cut but you'll do ok with a craft knife, last for an infinite number of uses, has acceptable rigidity.

yup.

x

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cramulus

godddd I love that guy

QuoteIf you're in a place with lots of security cameras wear a hood, move around the city quickly and act like a sad old drunk if you attract attention.
Be aware that going on a major mission totally drunk out of your head will result in some truly spectacular artwork and at least one night in the cells.

When explaining yourself to the Police its worth being as reasonable as possible. Graffiti writers are not real villains. I am always reminded of this by real villains who consider the idea of breaking in someplace, not stealing anything and then leaving behind a painting of your name in four foot high letters the most retarded thing they ever heard of.

Remember crime against property is not real crime. People look at an oil painting and admire the use of brushstrokes to convey meaning. People look at a graffiti painting and admire the use of a drainpipe to gain access.

The time of getting fame for your name on its own is over. Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a bi-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a shit.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on November 10, 2009, 02:44:46 PM
Remember crime against property is not real crime.

Not sure about that part, though.  If I want someone to paint on my walls, I'll hire them to do so.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Roaring Biscuit! on November 10, 2009, 02:02:26 PM
a sheet of acetate, its not super easy to cut but you'll do ok with a craft knife, last for an infinite number of uses, has acceptable rigidity.

yup.

x

This.

Quote from: MMIX on November 10, 2009, 02:41:29 PM
http://twistedhumor.misbehave.org.uk/2004/12/guide-to-cutting-stencils-by-banksy.html

HMV QED BBQ Etc. Etc.

And Banksy is the shit.

What are you planning on making? Out of curiosity. A good friend of mine is a graffiti artist, and while I could never have the same degree of "can control" as he did, stencils always seemed like a really good alternative, and in some ways is better than doing it free-hand. Anyhow, pics when you throw one up, plz.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

East Coast Hustle

I've been on a bit of a graff mission lately and the guy who's been doing all the stencils for myself and my associates to use has been cutting them out of sheets of mylar. So far, it's worked awesomely.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: dimo on November 10, 2009, 04:07:28 PM

Anyhow, pics when you throw one up, plz.

I don't think that's a good idea.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

LMNO

Cramulus

but if you see any graffiti which looks similar or identical to yours, feel free to post pics.

Dimocritus

Or if you have a friend of a friend that is doing something similar...
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Chief Uwachiquen

Yeah, I had planned on practicing the KYFMS rule. Never know who can get WHAT information these days. The only reservation I have is that this is a relatively small town and as such, the police officers here are just itching for SOMETHING to do.

MMIX

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2009, 03:20:00 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on November 10, 2009, 02:44:46 PM
Remember crime against property is not real crime.

Not sure about that part, though.  If I want someone to paint on my walls, I'll hire them to do so.

hey, sometimes even ownership isn't enough, read this and weep Banksy fans . . .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8238896.stm
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

the last yatto

i like window screens and puffy paint

basicly something easily hidden under a coat
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

OHAY just noticed this :D
smooth posterboard works fine if you cant find acetate

and in case anyone cares, making delicate flower stencils is fuckin hard  :argh!: DETAILS