News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

23ae

Started by Cramulus, November 11, 2009, 02:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

For those of you that don't know what it is, lemme relate the history of the place, as I know it.

23ae is a Discordian blog once run by Prince MuChao. You may remember him if you've read the Apocrypha Discordia.

It is, in my estimation, the most popular "Discordian" blog. It gets tons of hits from random Discordians who are not currently connected to this Discordian Society. When I was a young pinealist, I read every single goddamn thing on 23ae. It houses some good material, and a lot of fluff. It's where I first met Ratatosk, Broken AI, Dr Jon Swabey, The Other Anonymous, and the infamous Rev. Uncle BadTouch.

Prince MuChao never did much to moderate the site, he let everybody post pretty much whatever they wanted. That's how the place has a reputation (around these parts) for being what we would call "pinealist". But to be fair, it's hard to generalize about the users and content of the site. It's dead as a doornail right now, so there's nothing to generalize about.

Prince MuChao became frustrated with the place and backed off. He's a ghost now, only responding to about 1 out of 10 emails. Luckily, some people (myself included) have admin powers over there. I've continued to keep it warm, making sure I have something on the front page at any given time. I think I represent about 50-75% of the posts in the last year or so.

The other posts are either Uncle BadTouch posting info from his monthly snoozeletters, or DrJon posting about Discordian Holydays. It's fairly innocuous.

In the last six months the site has gone pretty much dead. There's about one post per month, and a half dozen comments.

So here's what I propose:

We can very easily transform 23ae into what we want it to be. All it would take is one post every few weeks or so to maintain a presence on the site. I guarentee that this will generate more attention for whatever it is we post about.

So what do we want to turn it into?

That's a damn good question! I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Disclaimer

I know Uncle BadTouch posts there. I know a lot of you don't like the site. I want this discussion to remain focused on how we can make 23ae a useful vector for us. We can't scare Uncle BadTouch off the entire internet, and to be honest I don't think his minimal presence there is really important. Focusing on him, or the alleged "pinealism" over there is a distraction, let's move past it.

What I think

-23ae could be a good vector to post "best-of" output from our forum. There are a lot of ideas here which will be wasted (in some sense) if they never leave the forum. So let's get the word out about horrormirth, activitism, KYFMS, etc etc. The apple talk dialogues, some of the rants in OKM, that sort of stuff could be x-posted with minimal effort. Though -- that was our plan with the pd blog, and look what happened to that! (I think we're up to zero posts in six months)

-it's (potentially) a great way to get participation in other missions. letter writing campaigns, omgasm, and intermittens come to mind.

-is there something bigger?

Cain

Cainad (dec.)

So I was thinking about this during class for the past hour and 20 minutes, and I think Cram is on to something here. If 23ae is indeed a major "point of entry" into Discordianism for hapless wanderers, then we gain a major advantage by using it to spread our messages. We can use it to link to the wiki, and projects or GASMs whose mission statements and instructions are relatively short can be posted directly to it. For things we might want to publish like the Apple Talk Dialogues, we might set up pages for them like we have for the PD and the BIP (another reason to get on with applying that sexy new front page and background design).

Faust

Better yet, taking it over will allow us to form a massive discordian internet cartel.
Next stop shaking down bella's diner for protection money.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

AFK

Whoops, now we know why she was afraid of Discordians getting organized.   :lol:
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

fomenter

Quote from: ☂Faust☂ on November 11, 2009, 04:43:48 PM
Better yet, taking it over will allow us to form a massive discordian internet cartel.
Next stop shaking down bella's diner for protection money.

Mu ha ha ha ha... a while back i started thinking we should have a moderator presence on every parody religion site (discordian or not) for just such evil purposes....  
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

23AE was one of my first hang-outs (even had a sub-domain for a while). I fully support this idea.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

:lulz:

I fully endorse this concept
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

so what, specifically should we do? and who's going to do it?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

What about posts that accentuate the vast differences in interpretations of Discordianism? Maybe with the idea to cut through some of the "You're not pineal enough/you're too pineal" arguments? That might have been something useful for many of us to have read when we first got blindsided by She What Done It All.

Cain

I'm signing up, but I have no time this month.

Eater of Clowns

I like it.  You mentioned giving people a sense of what Discordians do.  There are a lot of ways people on this site do things differently, so participants can write a little scenario about activities they engage in or beliefs they hold that brings the religion into their everyday lives.

This is How I Discordian
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

We could also do "Discordian Squares" which would be like Hollywood Squares, except with Discordians.

"I'll take TGRR for the Block."

"Ok, The Good Reverend Roger, welcome to the show! Here's your question, The famous musician Billy Idol once said: ""The biggest misconception people have about me is that I'm..." what?

"Human? Hehehe, no really... ummm, he actually thought people assumed he was gay."

"Gay, hrmmm ok, Contestant, what do you say... Agree or Disagree?"

"I disagr *mind lazors* err I agree!"

"I'm sorry the correct ans  *moar Mind Lazors* Oh YES! X gets the square!"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on November 11, 2009, 08:03:14 PM
so what, specifically should we do? and who's going to do it?

I'm going to edit and repost things I've posted here.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."