News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

23ae

Started by Cramulus, November 11, 2009, 02:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2009, 10:31:13 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 12, 2009, 10:29:10 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2009, 10:22:07 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 12, 2009, 10:20:26 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2009, 10:02:01 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 12, 2009, 09:53:55 PM
I had to google it.  The guy from Buffy?

Previous user here.  Aka "Eric".  Declared himself Norton II.

Why does everyone insist on pissing on the memory of Joshua Norton?

I just figured the Christians had so much success doing the same to Jesus that I'd give it a shot, Roger.   :roll:

Yeah, well, don't let me stop you.  Why NOT stomp all over his memory?  Knock yourself out.

So far I haven't paralleled any events in Norton's life, referred to the original one other than in name, or even give it much of an effect on the narrative at all.  The whole thing would work the same if he declared himself minister of his own religion or the reincarnation of Lewis Carrol.  I liked the idea of it being a tribute to a pretty amazing story, and given that it's a personal project I don't see what the problem is.

Then again, you made up your mind already and I might as well be arguing in favor of torturing puppies.

Then why use the name?  Honestly curious, here.  People who don't know about Joshua Norton won't get it, and people who do will just roll their eyes and hit the scroll button.

Seriously.  It's been tried. 

But, hey, it's your rant. 

Okay, it's been tried.  News to me.  Does it change the fact that I already answered your question of "Why use the name?" with "I like the idea of it being a tribute to a pretty amazing story"?

Where's the rant you're referring to?

You have a point though, why should I use the name if, for certain, everyone either won't get it or react the exact same way you did.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You're writing a story about an unlikable character who copycats a historical figure?

Does he die in the end?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 12, 2009, 10:44:07 PM
Okay, it's been tried.  News to me.  Does it change the fact that I already answered your question of "Why use the name?" with "I like the idea of it being a tribute to a pretty amazing story"?

Where's the rant you're referring to?

You have a point though, why should I use the name if, for certain, everyone either won't get it or react the exact same way you did.

Things like Joshua Norton can only be done once.  Nothing could do him justice.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Nigel on November 12, 2009, 11:32:24 PM
You're writing a story about an unlikable character who copycats a historical figure?

Does he die in the end?

I'd like to know, I haven't figured out what I'm writing today, nevermind the end.  What from the excerpt makes him unlikable?

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2009, 11:34:06 PM
Things like Joshua Norton can only be done once.  Nothing could do him justice.

Well then I'll fail and I'll do so with fervor.  A NaNoWriMo that nobody will read isn't going to detract from anything he did.

The kid isn't running around shouting 23PINEALFNORD and Discordia isn't mentioned whatsoever.  It's really a vehicle for pointing out that not everything needs to be incredibly serious all the time.  Apparently though the memory of Norton is though.  Very, very much so.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 12, 2009, 11:56:20 PM

Does he die in the end?

I'd like to know, I haven't figured out what I'm writing today, nevermind the end.  What from the excerpt makes him unlikable?

Well, he's a copycat who declares himself emperor. What's to like?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Nigel on November 12, 2009, 11:59:36 PM

Does he die in the end?

He's having fun, not letting a shitty situation in life get to him, and he's got a great sense of humor.  Maybe originality isn't one of his strong points, but give the fella a chance.   :D

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 13, 2009, 12:08:26 AM

Does he die in the end?

I'd like to know, I haven't figured out what I'm writing today, nevermind the end.  What from the excerpt makes him unlikable?

He's having fun, not letting a shitty situation in life get to him, and he's got a great sense of humor.  Maybe originality isn't one of his strong points, but give the fella a chance.   :D

What shitty situation in life?

It's not like it has to be good, it's just NaNoWriMo. Kudos to you for even being on track with your word count and all that shit. It just seems like you'll reap nothing but mockery if you post it on 23ae.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 13, 2009, 12:11:06 AM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 13, 2009, 12:08:26 AM

Does he die in the end?

I'd like to know, I haven't figured out what I'm writing today, nevermind the end.  What from the excerpt makes him unlikable?

He's having fun, not letting a shitty situation in life get to him, and he's got a great sense of humor.  Maybe originality isn't one of his strong points, but give the fella a chance.   :D

What shitty situation in life?

It's not like it has to be good, it's just NaNoWriMo. Kudos to you for even being on track with your word count and all that shit. It just seems like you'll reap nothing but mockery if you post it on 23ae.

I HAS A BUSHEL.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Nigel on November 13, 2009, 12:11:06 AMWhat shitty situation in life?

Does it matter the situation?  I mean, you seem to have very much decided how you feel about it.  I doubt anything I could answer that with would suffice.

I'm not trying to make it good, I'm keeping it readable for my own sake.  I'm having fun with it and I thought the selection I put up was a fun passage.  If it's not the kind of thing we're looking to put on 23ae then I won't, plain and simple, it was an attempt at a contribution because I don't have much time to come up with another one when I'm doing NaNoWriMo.

If you're worried about the mockery I would reap from 23ae why are you unconcerned with contributing to it here?

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 13, 2009, 12:42:27 AM
Quote from: Nigel on November 13, 2009, 12:11:06 AMWhat shitty situation in life?

Does it matter the situation?  I mean, you seem to have very much decided how you feel about it.  I doubt anything I could answer that with would suffice.

I'm not trying to make it good, I'm keeping it readable for my own sake.  I'm having fun with it and I thought the selection I put up was a fun passage.  If it's not the kind of thing we're looking to put on 23ae then I won't, plain and simple, it was an attempt at a contribution because I don't have much time to come up with another one when I'm doing NaNoWriMo.

If you're worried about the mockery I would reap from 23ae why are you unconcerned with contributing to it here?

Oh, I'm not worried. That was more fair warning. I will almost certainly mock it if you post it there, as well. Not because I don't like you, but because I don't like your protagonist or your storyline, and it really doesn't matter when it's a NaNoWriMo project because no one will ever read it anyway, but if you post it publicly as some sort of "discordian work" I will feel obliged to publicly express my feelings about having the memory of Emperor Norton reduced to a hack storyline. Only two kinds of people declare themselves Emperor; pretentious twats and crazy people. Sorry, man.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Nigel on November 13, 2009, 12:53:41 AMOh, I'm not worried. That was more fair warning. I will almost certainly mock it if you post it there, as well. Not because I don't like you, but because I don't like your protagonist or your storyline, and it really doesn't matter when it's a NaNoWriMo project because no one will ever read it anyway, but if you post it publicly as some sort of "discordian work" I will feel obliged to publicly express my feelings about having the memory of Emperor Norton reduced to a hack storyline. Only two kinds of people declare themselves Emperor; pretentious twats and crazy people. Sorry, man.

I'm amazed by how frequently people only fall into two categories.  They'll either miss the reference or they'll skip the story.  Declaring oneself Emperor is either crazy or pretentious.  Nobody ever could act or react for reasons beyond these.

The storyline could be hack and the writing is probably shitty and maybe it's not a very good "discordian work" (any of which are assumptions based on very little) but the way you guys are acting I sort've expect to be excommunicated as a heretic.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 13, 2009, 01:18:33 AM
Quote from: Nigel on November 13, 2009, 12:53:41 AMOh, I'm not worried. That was more fair warning. I will almost certainly mock it if you post it there, as well. Not because I don't like you, but because I don't like your protagonist or your storyline, and it really doesn't matter when it's a NaNoWriMo project because no one will ever read it anyway, but if you post it publicly as some sort of "discordian work" I will feel obliged to publicly express my feelings about having the memory of Emperor Norton reduced to a hack storyline. Only two kinds of people declare themselves Emperor; pretentious twats and crazy people. Sorry, man.

I'm amazed by how frequently people only fall into two categories.  They'll either miss the reference or they'll skip the story.  Declaring oneself Emperor is either crazy or pretentious.  Nobody ever could act or react for reasons beyond these.

The storyline could be hack and the writing is probably shitty and maybe it's not a very good "discordian work" (any of which are assumptions based on very little) but the way you guys are acting I sort've expect to be excommunicated as a heretic.

Because we have the power to do that? :lulz:

Roger just seems to think your storyline is really unoriginal. I actively dislike it, and your main character, based on the glimpse of him I read in your fragment. Hey, it's OK; I wrote a novel with an unsympathetic protagonist once, too.

Eater of Clowns

Some of my favorite novels have had unsympathetic or ambiguous protagonists.  Usually that's intentional though.  If anyone asks I'm trying to pull an Updike.

Well, Cram was trying to keep this relatively on point so I'm all for splitting the thread where it got off track.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Iason Ouabache

Dumb question: Why is there no RSS feed for the site?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Iason Ouabache

That brings up another very good question: Are you going to do anything to the layout, Cram? Or would that mess up the archives too much?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘