News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

Mexico: FAIL thread

Started by The Johnny, November 11, 2009, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Im sure there are studies within these parameters in the USA and shouldnt be that hard to find.

I would dare to say that there's an interest within the USA for novels and self growth books too, but with added interest to "best sellers" type fiction.

I think that i can agree empirically on my day-to-day experience with the poll's findings; i really dont think its a put-down when i say that most of the population cant go beyond a concrete level of thinking, and most of my "comrades" that have a university education that do actually study instead of cheating their way thru seem to agree with that. Im not even sure how to answer the question, theres so many angles to it...

It goes along with what Nigel is pointing out: is people's lack of interest in books and culture due to poverty and education? I think it is so, for example, Russia is as poor as us or worse (im not sure), but they seem to have "higher" interests which might be derived from a difference in their education perhaps?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on December 17, 2010, 08:55:12 PM
It goes along with what Nigel is pointing out: is people's lack of interest in books and culture due to poverty and education? I think it is so, for example, Russia is as poor as us or worse (im not sure), but they seem to have "higher" interests which might be derived from a difference in their education perhaps?

I don't know.  Mexico has never been rich artistically, even in good times.  Pretty sure this has to do with the national insecurity complex that has resulted from everyone and his dog invading or otherwise leaning on Mexico since day one.

I have a novel at home, though, and I can't remember the name, about the "finger generals" of the Mexican revolution.  Damn good read, but IIRC, the author was killed in some fashion before he wrote anything else.

But if I had to put a finger on the one thing that really knocked Mexico sideways, I'd have to say it was when Henry Wilson and General Huerta bumped off Madero and Suarez.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Disco Pickle

could be a lot of them just don't like tourists.  I heard that a lot when I was down there.  If they go in the summer, it's 300 fucking degrees out.  If you go in the winter, it's a mob of european, chinese and american tourists flooding the place.

miss that damn country.  going back to Veracruz in May for a visit.  Might even hop a bus to D.F. for a weekend.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

The Johnny

A certain disturbing pattern of behaviour, besides the concrete level thinking is the "day by day" mentality.

Here's a list of non-hypothetical hypotheticals:

Your car's tires have barely any grip left on it? Well who cares, it isnt raining season yet, dont even mention the breaks.
Your diabetes sugar is perpetually high? Its ok, as long as i dont need an amputation.
School project is due in 3 months? Well fuck it, we can always make it in 5 days.
That tree is on the verge of collapsing? Well, the day isnt windy is it?
Theres a big hole in the highspeed lane at the freeway? No one has died yet.

All in all, since anything can happen anytime, why even make a plan? The "circumstance" is just gonna automatically scrap it anyhow.

So whats left is the common denominator and predatorship of others attempts at planning.

Lets work together? Ok, but you first.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on December 17, 2010, 10:00:53 PM

A certain disturbing pattern of behaviour, besides the concrete level thinking is the "day by day" mentality.

Here's a list of non-hypothetical hypotheticals:

Your car's tires have barely any grip left on it? Well who cares, it isnt raining season yet, dont even mention the breaks.
Your diabetes sugar is perpetually high? Its ok, as long as i dont need an amputation.
School project is due in 3 months? Well fuck it, we can always make it in 5 days.
That tree is on the verge of collapsing? Well, the day isnt windy is it?
Theres a big hole in the highspeed lane at the freeway? No one has died yet.

All in all, since anything can happen anytime, why even make a plan? The "circumstance" is just gonna automatically scrap it anyhow.

So whats left is the common denominator and predatorship of others attempts at planning.

Lets work together? Ok, but you first.

The "Don" mentality has plagued Mexico since Cortez, and Spain even longer.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Johnny

Im not sure what you mean by "Don mentality" care to elaborate?

I perceive it as a weird mix between the expectation of handouts, opportunistic leeching, and the habit of back-breaking physical labour.

It has a lot to do with a lot of things, and im not sure i have the mental tools yet to do so, but it has to do with some main things:

-Catholic doctrine with its synchronic mixings with native religion
-The violence exerted in the Conquista
-Constant interventions and the submissive role towards the USA
-Poverty
-Education
-Parenting and its roles

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on December 17, 2010, 08:55:12 PMIt goes along with what Nigel is pointing out: is people's lack of interest in books and culture due to poverty and education? I think it is so, for example, Russia is as poor as us or worse (im not sure), but they seem to have "higher" interests which might be derived from a difference in their education perhaps?

Entirely possible.  I know that Soviet education, vulgar Marxist propaganda and general chauvinism aside, was among the best in the world.  Their history cirriculum alone makes me green with envy.

I don't know how much of that has passed down to the Russian Federation, especially with the budgetary cuts Russia has suffered since the days of the USSR, but there are bound to be elements of that rather excellent system still around - either teaching or preparing the next generation of teachers.

Cain

El Brad Pitt has been arrested

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2011/06/el-brad-pitt-arrested.html

QuoteFederal police arrested a drug cartel operative accused of attacking a police station with a car bomb and participating in the killing of a man that was then posted on the Internet, authorities said Thursday.

Marco Antonio Guzman Zuniga, nicknamed "Brad Pitt," was identified by police as a leader of La Linea, the Juarez cartel's enforcement arm. He was arrested Wednesday in the city of Chihuahua.

The state of Chihuahua had offered a reward of up to half a million pesos ($42,000) for information leading to his arrest.

Guzman Zuniga, 34, coordinated drug operations in several cities, including Chihuahua and the violent Ciudad Juarez, the Ministry of Public Security said in a statement. He is also accused of being involved in other criminal activities, including car theft and the murder of rivals and police who did not collaborate with the cartel, the ministry said.

He is an ex-policeman, authorities said.

Among the crimes that Guzman Zuniga is accused of carrying out is the July 15, 2010 attack on a police installation in Ciudad Juarez with a car bomb.

He is also accused of taking part in the killing of a man whose death was recorded and the recording distributed on the Internet.

There is this strange theme of guerrilla leaders, warlords and organised crime lords giving themselves strange nicknames.  In the Tajikistan Civil War, one leader went by the nickname of "Hitler" and another "Schwarzenegger".  In the Congo some called themselves "Chuck Norris" and "Rambo", which played havoc with the human rights organisations attempts to look serious.

Jenne

They think he looks like Brad Pitt?

Those guerillas need better vision care, man.

Cain

He skins people alive.

You like where your skin is, right?  You wanna disagree with him?

Jenne

:lulz:  Point.  I just read the bottom of the article where it said his "friends" or whatever "associates" think he looks like Brad Pitt.  NOTSOMUCH.

The Johnny

Last night in the nation's capitol, they hanged a person from a bridge (Huixquilucan), right in front of the main hospital of the city up-north (De los Angeles).

Also, when i was interviewing high-school students a month and a half ago, some girl told me about how near the school, they found a body chopped up in pieces, thrown in a terrain in between houses. (this is at the east of the city, La Paz)

No citation cz the news are too busy talking about budget cuts and new laws for billboards.  :argh!:

-B.F. Skinner

Adios

Get that shit cleaned up, Mexico is my escape plan dammit.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 16, 2011, 03:05:36 PM

THIS!!!

If you don't we'll end up in Canada and you know what will happen then......

Kurt Christ

Quote from: Khara on August 17, 2011, 09:08:52 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 16, 2011, 03:05:36 PM

THIS!!!

If you don't we'll end up in Canada and you know what will happen then......
The earth will get too top heavy and flip over, rendering Australia right-side-up?
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)