News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Freaking awesome hot buttered rum mix

Started by ., November 12, 2009, 06:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Made this amazing hot buttered rum mix for anyone interested in it.

Ingredients

* 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
    * 2 cups light brown sugar
    * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    * Pinch ground cloves
    * Pinch salt
    * Bottle dark rum
    * Boiling water

Directions

In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Refrigerate until almost firm. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into 12 small mugs. Pour about 3 ounces of rum into each mug (filling about halfway). Top with boiling water (to fill the remaining half), stir well, and serve immediately.

I managed to make it with salted butter just fine and it tasted the same. I also used Sailor Jerry's rum.  Lemme know what you guys think.

Eater of Clowns

Ooh, hot buttered rum.  I very well might have to try this out.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 12, 2009, 06:11:50 AM
Ooh, hot buttered rum.  I very well might have to try this out.

I made it for Von Melee and he had never had it before. He seemed to like it alot :D. This is my dad's favourite winter time drink.

Richter

Nice, thanks!
I'm thinking you could prep a bunch of the butter in advance, section off the right amount in an ice cube tray or somesuch for storage.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Quote from: Richter on November 12, 2009, 02:53:03 PM
Nice, thanks!
I'm thinking you could prep a bunch of the butter in advance, section off the right amount in an ice cube tray or somesuch for storage.
This stuff keeps pretty well out of the fridge if it isn't too warm out. But it would probably work great with the ice cube trays. Thanks for the idea, i might try it :D

Jenne

LOVE hot buttered rum.  This looks similar to the recipe I've used for a while.  It's one of those I've used often but still don't remember the measurements, just the ingredients, and I pull it out year after year to make it.  My eggnog break recipe is similar.

trippinprincezz13

My boyfriend and I made something similar to bring to our families for Thanksgiving, except with maple whiskey in place of rum.  In one of the local liquor stores the that makes this whiskey was providing samples (along with his recipe for hot buttered maple whiskey) one time when my boyfriend is in. It's primarily distributed in MA, with some locations apparently in Maine/NH/VT and also a mention of TN. The distributor's list only had a handful of places listed, though "Locations" seems to have more listed, though it may be incomplete.

Cabin Fever Maple Whiskey - http://www.cabinfeverspirits.com

The whiskey itself was very good, could barely taste the alcohol (80 proof). Not TOO sweet, but still sweet enough that a glass, maybe two, would suffice.  The recipe was definitely nice for the holidays. Essentially the same, but more butter, plus confectioner's sugar. I'll throw it up later.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Squid on November 30, 2009, 05:20:39 PM
Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on November 30, 2009, 04:22:23 PM
I'll throw it up later.
:lulz:

:lulz:

Obviously wasn't paying too much attention writing that.

I do assure you, I did not throw up any whiskey drink  :lol:

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on November 30, 2009, 04:22:23 PM
My boyfriend and I made something similar to bring to our families for Thanksgiving, except with maple whiskey in place of rum.  In one of the local liquor stores the that makes this whiskey was providing samples (along with his recipe for hot buttered maple whiskey) one time when my boyfriend is in. It's primarily distributed in MA, with some locations apparently in Maine/NH/VT and also a mention of TN. The distributor's list only had a handful of places listed, though "Locations" seems to have more listed, though it may be incomplete.

Cabin Fever Maple Whiskey - http://www.cabinfeverspirits.com

The whiskey itself was very good, could barely taste the alcohol (80 proof). Not TOO sweet, but still sweet enough that a glass, maybe two, would suffice.  The recipe was definitely nice for the holidays. Essentially the same, but more butter, plus confectioner's sugar. I'll throw it up later.

I was never too keen on whiskey but this sounds like a fantastic idea and delicious too. I figured on making my dad a big batch of hot buttered rum mix for christmas.

trippinprincezz13

as i mentioned, this isn't THAT different from the hot buttered rum recipe, but for hell of it:

Ingredients for batter:

1 c margerine or butter (i used unsalted butter)
1 c & 2 TBSP packed brown sugar
1 c heavy whipping cream
2 c powdered sugar
1/8 tsp ground cloves (I found out that when you grind your own cloves is surprisingly hard to clean the residue off the blender)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1. Beat margerine/butter and brown sugar in medium bowl on medium speed for about 5 minutes or until fluffy
2. Beat in whipping cream and powdered sugar alternating on low speed until smooth (the consitency reminded me of a sort of meringuey/moussey thing, not "smooth" like a cake batter. Should i have added more liquid? I don't know, but the recipe came out fine as is)
3. Stir in cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg.
4. Store in 1 quart container in freezer up to 3 months

- Makes 3 cups batter, or 24 servings.

Two ways to serve:

1) Full serving: Mix all the batter with one bottle of Cabin Fever Maple Whiskey (1 liter) and 24 cups of hot water. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Store contents in a crock pot to keep warm while waiting for another cup.

2) Individual serving: Mix 2 TBSP of batter with 1-2 oz. of Cabin Fever Maple Whiskey and 1 cup hot water.  Top w/ whipped cream, etc.

Depending on how boozerific you want your drink, you may want to add more whiskey and/or reduce the water. We added about 1.5-2 oz per serving for ours and reduced the water slightly. Came out great, but I might have preferred a touch more whiskey. Also, adding some additional whipping cream (or possibly milk, perhaps) while heating it up seemed to help some too.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

I may do that for my xmas gift packages this year :3 sounds delicious!