News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Error There Has Been!

Started by ~, November 12, 2009, 08:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~

Error There Has Been!

rong

although i like this idea, i don't really think it's worth investing much in.  nobody looks for analog TV signals to watch anymore - and, i'm assuming, new TVs won't even be capable of tuning an analog signal. 

this would, in my opinion, be way more expensive and less successful than setting up a youtube channel.

not to burst your bubble.  just sayin.

i think an underground radio station might be more worthwhile . . . but that's also illegal, so . . . you know. . .
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

I'm curious to find out the legality and workability of this idea.
Also, I'd like to see a modern reenvisioning of Pump up the Volume centered around Pirate TV, as opposed to radio.

The Good Reverend Roger

Jail forever, as the terrorist swine we are.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

HAMTV has been around for ages, but you gotta have your amateur radio license to broadcast... then again, you gotta have a license to broadcast any signal in the FCC defined bands, with minor exceptions like Citizen Band radio.

All in all, you could 'maybe' get very local coverage, but people will only find it IF they're looking for it and if/when the FCC picks it up, you'll be paying very large fines and you'll lose all of your equipment.

Pirate broadcasting without getting caught is possible, but its expensive. *

*KYFMS principle invoked.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rococo Modem Basilisk

There are regulations specifically based on broadcast area for non-licensed broadcasters.

I am more worried about non-television tech using said bands, as was (at one point) the plan. Google (iirc) wanted to get the now-free space on the RF spectrum to be reallocated to some experimental internet device / protocol. Summaries ranged from rfid to bluetooth to wifi in terms of range and purpose; I'd think it would be closer to wifi but longer range.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Dimocritus

I like this idea. What kind of red tape is involved in getting an amateur license? Or would having a license defeat the purpose?
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: wikipedia
In North America, amateur radio bands that are suitable for a television signal (capable of the necessary wideband signal) fall in between the UHF and VHF range, between channels 13 and 14, in the 70 cm ham band. While outside of broadcast television channels, this frequency falls into CATV frequencies, on channels 57 to 60 (420-444 MHz). As such, ATV broadcasts are viewed by setting a television to cable input, and attaching an antenna.
sauce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_television#North_American_context

This seems to imply that you just need a ham license and to follow the procedures for hams, and that there is an overlap between the ham radio bands and the broadcast TV bands. That said, I'm not a ham. Similar info for europe should be down the page.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: dimo on November 12, 2009, 09:44:09 PM
I like this idea. What kind of red tape is involved in getting an amateur license? Or would having a license defeat the purpose?

Problem:  Enki will just spag up the station with "French Experimental Music" the same way he wrecked Radio Free Discordia.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2009, 10:14:28 PM

Problem:  Enki will just spag up the station with "French Experimental Music" the same way he wrecked Radio Free Discordia.

It is too bad that you live so far outside maximum broadcast range.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on November 12, 2009, 10:16:05 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 12, 2009, 10:14:28 PM

It is too bad that you live so far outside maximum broadcast range.

That's okay, I have faith that you will also destroy 23ae.

Roo

check out http://forums.qrz.com/index.php. They should be able to answer all your questions.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Technician Class Ham license. You don't even need to know Morse code anymore.  :lulz:

Rat (ex-Ham)

"Was that a Beeep or a Beep?  :argh!:"
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on November 13, 2009, 01:23:40 AM
You don't even need to know Morse code anymore.  :lulz:

dit dit dit,
dit dit dit dit,
dit dit,
daw,
daw dit dit dit daw!