News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Wherein we discuss the merits of Comic Sans

Started by Shai Hulud, November 12, 2009, 11:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your opinion of controversial font Comic Sans?

Comic Sans makes my eyes bleed.
9 (45%)
I think Comic Sans is a luverly, charming font.
1 (5%)
I have no opinion one way or the other about comics sans, just as long as you're not writing useless bullshit with it.
9 (45%)
What the fuck is Comic Sans?
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Guy_Incognito on November 14, 2009, 06:36:40 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on November 14, 2009, 06:33:44 PM
Yeah Gentium is one of the prettier fonts that comes with Linux.

Wow, prepackaged Gentium?  I wasn't aware of that. Is there anything that isn't better about Linux?

With Ubuntum, afaik. But then, Macs come prepackaged with Helvetica and some other nice fonts.

And Microsoft has ... Comic Sans :lulz:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jean-Lustine d'Hadamard

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 14, 2009, 01:04:57 PM
Quote from: Jean-Lustine d'Hadamard on November 14, 2009, 11:54:59 AM
I remember some advice from a learning support office somewhere that Comic Sans made text easier to read for those with dyslexia (don't know what the evidence was). Action on this from those who typeset their exams with LaTeX was, to say the least, not forthcoming.

I'd like to see that research.

I seriously doubt that a crooked rounded sans-serif font is better readable with dyslexia than a serif like LaTeX uses.

It is probably anecdote-fuelled bullshit.

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 14, 2009, 01:04:57 PM
QuoteWorse is the proliferation of Lucida Sans and Verdana in printed material (at the same establishment, the former was deemed the font of choice for body text in letters). Neither of these fonts seems to be designed for printing, they're optimised for the screen. Plus they're shite.

they are optimized for the screen indeed, however that is completely separated from how well they perform in print. because the screen optimizations (hinting etc) aren't used when printing.

also, I disagree that it is "worse". it may arguably be bad (I don't care that much myself), but not worse.

It was worse from my point of view. I didn't have to deal with exams, but blocks of text with vertical and horizontal strokes of comparable thickness were suddenly everywhere.
"But one intelligence source we know suggests that an injection of a tiny amount of pure nicotine in the anus has the result of killing someone without leaving a mark. We're still trying to get to the bottom of this." --- Robert Eringer, On Marilyn, the Illuminati, and the Father of Our Country, The Investigator, 14 February 2009

President Television

I hate Comic Sans MS because it gives me a headache. I don't see how anyone could possibly find it easier to read.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Lyris_Nymphetamine

its a sexy and very useful font if you're an unimaginative 8th grader.
the font should not exist!

MMIX

Quote from: Guy Incognito on November 12, 2009, 11:54:45 PM
Ok, so I'm been having an argument on the Webcomic List Forums about the Comic Sans font that is so much maligned.  Personally, I don't get why people hate it so much, and I have a sneaking suspicion it's just bandwagon behavior and most of these haters wouldn't know Comic Sans from Helvetica.  But I figure PD.com is a churning cauldron of hatred, so if I'm likely to hear a decent argument against Comic Sans it would be here.  So anyone have any thoughts?

I had a thought - but somebody stamped on it  :cry:
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Shai Hulud

Quote from: MMIX on November 15, 2009, 02:46:32 PM
Quote from: Guy Incognito on November 12, 2009, 11:54:45 PM
Ok, so I'm been having an argument on the Webcomic List Forums about the Comic Sans font that is so much maligned.  Personally, I don't get why people hate it so much, and I have a sneaking suspicion it's just bandwagon behavior and most of these haters wouldn't know Comic Sans from Helvetica.  But I figure PD.com is a churning cauldron of hatred, so if I'm likely to hear a decent argument against Comic Sans it would be here.  So anyone have any thoughts?

I had a thought - but somebody stamped on it  :cry:

Physician, heal thyself.

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Requia ☣

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 14, 2009, 05:47:18 PM
because no, if Comic Sans is indeed extra readable for dyslectics, I'm pretty sure that there must be other, better-looking fonts out there that are even more readable, and have the added bonus that their style and appearance doesn't make it look like you did not really care about the way your message is taken in :)

According to a brief browsing of Google Scholar, Comic Sans is more legible for Dyslexics, however Ariel and Sans Serif are also supposed to work.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

I will say for comic sans that it is the only handwriting style font I've seen that's legible in lowercase at small sizes.

That said I'd rather use an all cap than comic sans.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Brotep

I assume we're talking about bold comic sans, never having seen non-bold comic sans.  Wait, maybe once.  But it was a long time ago, and the memory is fleeting.

MMIX

purely anecdotal but as someone with poor and ageing eyesight I actually find non bold CS an easier read though I can't find any research to back that up yet