News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

What does it mean to be a Discordian?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 13, 2012, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I'll go first:

You make up the most insane, dystopian joke you can possibly come up with based on events around you.  Then tomorrow you look in the paper and find out you weren't joking...But somehow, you still can't stop laughing.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

It means to automatically pick up on the BULLSHIT pouring out of the sad old drunk next to you about how they can't find 'bamas birth certificate when you're hanging out with people at the bar and you'd rather listen in for more fuel for mockery and for an opening for a goodly drunken argument than your friends.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

East Coast Hustle

It means you're a misanthrope with a sense of humor about it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

EK WAFFLR

At its best it means a way for very intelligent people to be very, very silly indeed.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Placid Dingo

Personally it means to me that I develop my own thoughts, ideals and values as a conscious ongoing process, that I seek to reach my greatest possible degree of autonomy, that I dont take things too seriously.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

AFK

Nonsense as Salvation.

Life as the art of playing games.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Johnny

Being a discordian is saying "No" when you are asked "Are you a discordian?".
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Epimetheus

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 14, 2012, 02:21:47 AM
Nonsense as Salvation.

Life as the art of playing games.

This. The whole last page of the PD.

As far as "What does it mean?"
:lol:
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Deepthroat Chopra

To as much as possible, shape yourself, and not be shaped by the surrounding institutions. Unless you want to.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 14, 2012, 02:50:22 AM
Nice.  I like at one!

Ta, though reading it back, I sound like a beginner who isn't into specifics. Which, I realise I am.

*bows to the holies*
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Kai

It doesn't mean a damn thing. Not in any practical sense, anyway.

Every Discordian I've ever talked with has been so different from the next, that there don't seem to be any defining characters.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

To be uncomfortable when someone asks, "Are you a Discordian?"

Placid Dingo

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 14, 2012, 03:46:04 AM

To be uncomfortable when someone asks, "Are you a Discordian?"

Yes!
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.