News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

So, the economist and time agree: It's about fucking time to LEGALISE IT

Started by Lies, November 15, 2009, 06:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: fomenter on November 15, 2009, 06:12:00 PM
we seem to be basically in agreement then,

i wouldn't require a guy to get an assessment

Why not?  What harm does it do? 

Quotei don't think the amount of access kids have would increase, if they want to they can score any time any where already, hard to make it worse than it is, there will always be some dumb grownups who sell to kids just like with alcohol and they can and should be busted just like with alcohol..

Yes, it is already quite rampant, but the laws actually do provide a barrier for some kids.  There are some kids who don't use because it is illegal.  Granted, they may be a small number, but in my opinion they are worth protecting.  Drug abuse prevention isn't about preventing EVERYONE from using drugs.  That is an unrealistic goal.  It is preventing where we can prevent.  Legalizing marijuana would make it that much more difficult to protect the youth. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 15, 2009, 04:34:19 PM
also, if inhaling a little bit of fiberglass fumes was deadly, there wouldn't be any boatbuilders left.

also also, what kind of moron would fall for a trick like that? who can't tell the difference between some kind bud and goddamned fiberglass?

and how much of a markup would you have to add to your bag of pot to cover the cost of having a fiberglass spraying machine? those aren't cheap, you know.

Your naivety makes me laugh.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: R W H N on November 15, 2009, 06:24:44 PM

Quotei don't think the amount of access kids have would increase, if they want to they can score any time any where already, hard to make it worse than it is, there will always be some dumb grownups who sell to kids just like with alcohol and they can and should be busted just like with alcohol..

Yes, it is already quite rampant, but the laws actually do provide a barrier for some kids.  There are some kids who don't use because it is illegal.  Granted, they may be a small number, but in my opinion they are worth protecting.  Drug abuse prevention isn't about preventing EVERYONE from using drugs.  That is an unrealistic goal.  It is preventing where we can prevent.  Legalizing marijuana would make it that much more difficult to protect the youth. 

Start with alcohol, it is much more damaging to a developing brain.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

AFK

Quote from: Regret on November 15, 2009, 07:27:13 PM

That's the great thing about talented folks like myself in the prevention field.  We're excellent at multitasking!!

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Malachite on November 15, 2009, 05:26:36 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 15, 2009, 05:20:35 PM
Quote from: Malachite on November 15, 2009, 05:11:00 PM
How do you feel about workers' rights? Child labour? The minimum wage? Trade unions?

1. Overrated

2. I'm in favor of it

3. As long as it doesn't apply to exploitable illegals, I'm OK with it for now

4. Thank god they're around to save us from corruption and look out for our best interests. Oh, wait...

How edgy.

yeah, about as edgy as interrupting a discussion about drug policy with some whinging about some shit that might have been relevant 70 years ago. I have about as much respect for left-wingers as I have for right-wingers or anyone else who can't articulate their personal beliefs without resorting to some arbitrary left-right scale.

that said, I really don't care much for trade unions.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: NiveKRayne on November 15, 2009, 07:17:51 PM
also, if inhaling a little bit of fiberglass fumes was deadly, there wouldn't be any boatbuilders left.

also also, what kind of moron would fall for a trick like that? who can't tell the difference between some kind bud and goddamned fiberglass?

and how much of a markup would you have to add to your bag of pot to cover the cost of having a fiberglass spraying machine? those aren't cheap, you know.

you're either an idiot or sorely misinformed.

or both.

What, exactly, do you think is "naive" about the quoted statement?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

fomenter

Why not?  What harm does it do?  
why not require everyone who buys a beer to undergo screening for alcoholism ? and who do you want intruding into peoples lives like this? the gov?

Yes, it is already quite rampant, but the laws actually do provide a barrier for some kids.  There are some kids who don't use because it is illegal.  Granted, they may be a small number, but in my opinion they are worth protecting.  Drug abuse prevention isn't about preventing EVERYONE from using drugs.  That is an unrealistic goal.  It is preventing where we can prevent.  Legalizing marijuana would make it that much more difficult to protect the youth.  

i don't think they do, for most kids the barrier is believing it may harm them, i cant imagine a kid who thinks "WOW i wish i could do drugs i would LOVE to do drugs... but they are illegal so i wont.".. it doesn't seem very realistic  (or even common enough to  be a group large enough to measure as a statistic)

if pot is legalized  part of the laws surrounding it need to address preventing its being glamorized (no advertising) and laws for selling to kids should be tightly enforced and carry heavy punishment to prevent the spread of easy access to kids that you worry about, but its hard to say that criminalization is some how better than taking such steps as part of the legalization process would end up being..
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

The Johnny

Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2009, 04:33:56 PM
Reason #1 why drugs will never get legalized:

It's a carefully controlled ogliopoly.  Laws allow for idiots like you (the dear readers of this thread) to be busted, while other, Very Important and Special People do not get busted because they are friends of other Special People (read: SIS, CIA, ASIS, etc) and pass them along bits of gossip and shares of the profit, the latter of which are then diverted into off-the-book operations which are used to Safetify Democracy and Protecticate Freedom, which we all agree is Regrettable But Necessary.

If just anyone could go into the drugs business, profits would drop from both from legalisation itself, and also the increase in competitors.  And then puppies would cry, because puppies love freedom and you are undermining it with your selfish and insolent attitude towards the drug trade. 

Pro-legalization means pro-upsetting puppies.

(Note: none of this applies if you have your own guerrilla army, like FARC. But you don't.  So it does).

So lets assume the "Mexican drug cartels" make 40 billion each year with no tax on them... walmart makes 400 billion revenue and supposedly 13.5 billion net income... thats almost triple what one of the most powerful transnational companies makes.

My point for you, is that i would love to see your take on this factor of "The Game"; i havent read all of your stuff do, so i dont know if i missed it. Although i know its a hard thing to do, for politicians dont make their relations or bribes known in relation to drug cartels...
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Lyris_Nymphetamine

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 15, 2009, 04:05:09 PM
Quote from: Lyris_Nymphetamine on November 15, 2009, 08:35:42 AM
Yeah they should legalize it because it'd make it alot safer - i mean i've had bad batches before and had really bad experiences on it. It's not too fun.

wut?

you had a bad weed trip?

:lulz:

have you ever actually smoked pot before? there's no such thing as a "bad batch".
i have quite a few times but once i reacted terribly. every other time was awesome, except one time when i just had a massive panic attack. not fun at all. mighta just been my state of mind at the time being amplified who knows.

Cain

Quote from: JohNyx on November 15, 2009, 09:39:26 PMSo lets assume the "Mexican drug cartels" make 40 billion each year with no tax on them... walmart makes 400 billion revenue and supposedly 13.5 billion net income... thats almost triple what one of the most powerful transnational companies makes.

My point for you, is that i would love to see your take on this factor of "The Game"; i havent read all of your stuff do, so i dont know if i missed it. Although i know its a hard thing to do, for politicians dont make their relations or bribes known in relation to drug cartels...

OK, tomorrow I'll delve into this a bit tomorrow.  It's such a broad topic though, so I'm going to have to make several major generalizations to cover everything.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: R W H N on November 15, 2009, 08:23:55 PM
Quote from: Regret on November 15, 2009, 07:27:13 PM

That's the great thing about talented folks like myself in the prevention field.  We're excellent at multitasking!!

Heh.
Despite disagreeing with you on the merits of criminalising plants i am happy that you are doing the job you do.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 15, 2009, 08:25:18 PM
Quote from: NiveKRayne on November 15, 2009, 07:17:51 PM

you're either an idiot or sorely misinformed.

or both.

What, exactly, do you think is "naive" about the quoted statement?

First of all, people try all kinds of tricks with weed to make it seem better than it is, second of all, I'm not sorely misinformed, I agree that its should be legalized. I just love how you jump to conclusions all of a sudden making me out to be the bad guy when I merely state my opinion to you. Thanks for showing me your the idiot. :)

fomenter

Quote from: NiveKRayne on November 15, 2009, 11:19:02 PM

First of all, people try all kinds of tricks with weed to make it seem better than it is, second of all, I'm not sorely misinformed, I agree that its should be legalized. I just love how you jump to conclusions all of a sudden making me out to be the bad guy when I merely state my opinion to you. Thanks for showing me your the idiot. :)

other than adding water to make it weigh more (old trick easy to spot), i have never heard of anything being added to pot, ...its a plant.. either it came from good seed and was grown right or it wasn't there is nothing you can do to change it or make it worth enough more to make fucking with it worth the time..  i call BS

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Quote from: fomenter on November 15, 2009, 11:34:56 PM
Quote from: NiveKRayne on November 15, 2009, 11:19:02 PM

other than adding water to make it weigh more (old trick easy to spot), i have never heard of anything being added to pot, ...its a plant.. either it came from good seed and was grown right or it wasn't there is nothing you can do to change it or make it worth enough more to make fucking with it worth the time..  i call BS

Call what you will, but when you deal with these people you see what they will do to get an extra buck from shitty weed they get. They do just about anything to make it more potent without having potency in the beginning. Call it what you will but from what I have seen they do just about anything to get that extra amount for it without using up all their stash. 

Kai

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 15, 2009, 04:05:09 PM
Quote from: Lyris_Nymphetamine on November 15, 2009, 08:35:42 AM
Yeah they should legalize it because it'd make it alot safer - i mean i've had bad batches before and had really bad experiences on it. It's not too fun.

wut?

you had a bad weed trip?

:lulz:

have you ever actually smoked pot before? there's no such thing as a "bad batch".

The times I've been in contact with pot it's caused paranoia, and I'm guessing higher dosages would only increase that feeling. That's not a "bad batch" reaction but a poor reaction to C. sativa overall, though.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish