News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Texas bans all marriage.

Started by Epimetheus, November 19, 2009, 03:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimetheus

http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/1770445.html
QuoteThe amendment, approved by the Legislature and overwhelmingly ratified by voters, declares that "marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman." But the troublemaking phrase, as Radnofsky sees it, is Subsection B, which declares:

"This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage."

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Requia ☣

Why would that clause be troubling (well, aside form the intent of the clause)?  Unless perhaps you fail at logic* its pretty obvious thats meant to prevent a second institution similar to marriage but with a different name.  The first institution, defined in the same document, is not affected.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: Oh, that's priceless. Way to go, Texas!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 19, 2009, 04:13:51 AM
Why would that clause be troubling (well, aside form the intent of the clause)?  Unless perhaps you fail at logic* its pretty obvious thats meant to prevent a second institution similar to marriage but with a different name.  The first institution, defined in the same document, is not affected.

Wrong. You're reading it according to intent. There is a reason legalese is as horribly, specifically convoluted as it is... legally speaking, it means exactly what it says, regardless of what the authors "obviously meant". Period.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage."

That's some delicious unintentional R-Prime right there, baby.

To repeat, "This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage."

"Any" means "any".  :lulz:

fomenter

i wonder if some wise ass office worker made an edit before making the copies that got passed and dropped the "not consisting of any pair not made up of one man and one woman " from the end of the sentence "may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage."
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Requia ☣

Identical or similar to marriage.  Marriage in not included in the statement.

Even if you could push for that argument as written, marriage is already established by the preceding clause, the state has no need to create or recognize it, the state constitution already does.

Kurt Christ

Marriage is identical to itself, and a a ban on recognizing it would seem to nullify previous creation of it.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 19, 2009, 05:43:21 AM

Even if you could push for that argument as written, marriage is already established by the preceding clause, the state has no need to create or recognize it, the state constitution already does.

Nope. Sorry, you're wrong. And this is an amendment to the State constitution, rendering the State unable to create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.

That "identical to" part is crucial. They really fucked up, in a hilarious way.

Requia ☣

Ok, I asked a lawyer friend.  He says that this does invalidate marriage, but only marriages since the amendment took effect, and it would not alter the status of straight marriages performed outside of the state.

I concede defeat.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Father Kurt Christ on November 19, 2009, 05:51:10 AM
Marriage is identical to itself, and a a ban on recognizing it would seem to nullify previous creation of it.

Exactly. I showed this to my lawyer friend in the hope that he hadn't seen it yet, and he laughed his ass off. They really screwed themselves!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Basically, they're going to have to hold a special election to nullify their stupid amendment.  :lulz:

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on November 19, 2009, 05:52:42 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 19, 2009, 05:43:21 AM

Nope. Sorry, you're wrong. And this is an amendment to the State constitution, rendering the State unable to create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.

That "identical to" part is crucial. They really fucked up, in a hilarious way.

The same amendment also defines marriage.

Actually... that wouldn't ban gay civil unions at all under one interpretation.  The only definition of marriage in it is that its one man one woman.  So gays could get civil unioned but straights couldn't.   :lulz:

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on November 19, 2009, 05:55:06 AM
Basically, they're going to have to hold a special election to nullify their stupid amendment.  :lulz:

Nah, also from my lawyer friend,

QuoteBUT as the Texas Supreme Court consists entirely of Republicans, they'll find otherwise.

Fuquad

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 19, 2009, 05:56:46 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on November 19, 2009, 05:55:06 AM

Nah, also from my lawyer friend,

QuoteBUT as the Texas Supreme Court consists entirely of Republicans, they'll find otherwise.
The Texas Supreme court wouldn't have any jurisdiction over the IRS if it decided to not allow tax write offs for being married for Texas citizens that filed for marriage after the enactment of the amendment.
THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET