News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

I think my relatives are trying to get a rise out of me for Christmas...

Started by Suu, November 20, 2009, 02:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Oops... Sorry, that was kind of just the last thing I heard, and I tend to spout things off when I really shouldn't.  :oops:

Triple Zero

what if I'm an atheist that doesn't believe in belief systems either?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on November 22, 2009, 02:14:31 PM
In fact, the US has religious belief levels more in common with certain theocracies than most other industrial democracies.  I have no doubt if it wasn't for inter-Christian factionalism, it probably would be a theocracy by now, or at very least a theocratic constitutional republic a la Iran.
This is what scares the hell out of me. I know that many people around me would change our government into a theocracy if it wasn't for that pesky First Amendment.

Then again, that First Amendment might have been what got us here in the first place. Complete freedom of religion means that we have no quick and easy way of moderating the weirdos. Just look at all of the freaky religions that popped up during The Great Awakenings. We couldn't do anything about the Apocalyptic Millerites or the Later-Day Saints' sex cult. We had to pretty much let them do whatever they wanted to (until the Mormons started shooting Indians). If we had an official church the country might have been more moderate, like the Anglicans.

Or the Baptists could have gotten in control anyways and we'd be executing homosexuals just like Iran.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Kai

People who argue over definitions like theist, atheist and agnostic are silly.

Of course, it allows me to co-opt whichever of these definitions I want at will whenever I wish and I am thankful for that. :)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 22, 2009, 04:59:40 PM
what if I'm an atheist that doesn't believe in belief systems either?

today I'm an atheist that doesnt believe I really wrote that.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.