News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

Your yearly Uzbekistan roundup

Started by Cain, November 22, 2009, 12:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Ah, Uzbekistan.  Probably one of the most authoritarian and corrupt regimes on earth...and, once again, our bestest buddies.

When not boiling political dissidents to death, torturing "detainees" for American and British intelligence, using child slavery to pick cotton and killing hundreds of people for no apparent reason, Islam Karimov likes to take a more relaxed view of the world.

For example, those kewl blogger kids...while the media in Uzbekistan is state controlled by any reasonable definition of the term, Karimov loves those foreign bloggers who talk up his regime.  So much, in fact, that he is willing to offer all expenses paid trips to Tashkent, plus a thousand dollars in cash to US bloggers willing to blog about Afghanistan without mentioning any of the above unpleasantness.

The astute ones among you will notice in that link that this is being organised with some consultants called Atlas International Partners.  All three of their principals are deep in the national-security complex.  Is that because there is some sort of national security dimension to showing Islam Karimov's regime in a good light?  Of course there is.

Negotiations for opening a new airbase in Uzbekistan are nearly complete.  In March, Mr Hopey also negotiated the use of Uzbekistan as a transit route to supply Afghanistan based forces.

Not wanting to be left out, the European Union has jumped in on the show, lifting the arms embargo it had in place on the country for a few years.  I guess this means no more strangling Jewish officials, they can just go back to shooting people who take part in "unlicenced religion".

And, to end things on a light note, Sting has performed for the Uzbek kleptocracy.   Presumably the destruction of the Aral Sea by Uzbek businesses - most of which are run by Islam Karimov's daughter, the delightful Gulnara Karimova (that is, delightful when she isn't ordering the assassination of opponents or trafficking Uzbek girls to Dubai as part of the sex-slave trade) - does not bother the environmental crusader Sting, who set up the Rainforest Foundation in 1989, after seeing the destruction of the Amazonian rainforests first hand.  Good old Sting, eh?

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"