News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Thanksgiving for One.

Started by Kai, November 24, 2009, 08:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Let me know how this turns out and whether or not you liked it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 26, 2009, 08:38:29 AM
Let me know how this turns out and whether or not you liked it.

Sure thing.

Birds are floating in the sink for a bit, were nearly thaw in the fridge and just finishing them off.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Birds are cooking. Its gonna be a while.

I've been trying to upload some pictures to photobucket but it is NOT WORKING. I don't know why.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Freeky

We had our family-type Thanksgiving meal on Sunday, so that my parents could jet yesterday to California for a five day weekend.

Kai

photobucket is not working for me.

More information when I figure out what the hell is wrong with the damn thing.

Kai

The Birds.

The full up crockpot. Yes, I know the squash and zucchini should have gone in later. No, it really didn't make much difference.

A bird peeking out from under the veggies. I browned them in a separate pan, since the crock pot wasn't getting hot fast enough, then transfered over.

Oh. My. God.

Ohmygodohmygodohmygod.

The clean picked bones say it all.

Some thoughts:

This was an excellent meal, and it only took about 3 hours from start to finish, not counting the hen defrosting I did this morning. The flavors mixed so well in the crockpot, and everything was moist and tender. That being said....

-I could have browned the bird just a bit longer. The skin was tasty enough as it is, infused with the flavors of the dish, but it could have been better. Doing it on the stovetop rather than in the crockpot was the right idea.

-I added a tad too much pickle juice. Again, still very good, but it started tasting a little more german than I wanted. The sour and the sweet of the wine and the brown sugar went together so well, but the sour overpowered the sweet just a bit. Something to remember.

-Next time I will really add zucchini, squash and other soft vegetables at the last minute, as they were a bit soft by the end. Tasty, but I like my veggies with a bit more crunch.

-I'm curious what the difference in flavor would be with brandy compared to riesling.

-Aw damn, I was supposed to /reduce/ the liquid afterwards. Oh well, I can do it now, and just use it on the other bird this evening. It was still good poured over thinner.

Overall, I am impressed, and I want to have Hustle's babies. Best poultry I've ever cooked.

East Coast Hustle

:mittens:

that looks delicious. glad I could help out, man. thanksgiving is about sharing good food with family and corny as it may sound, some of you are more like family to me than what little biological family I have.

Not least among them you, Kai, given that we basically signed up here together and made out first few forays into the world of PD.com as a team.

Cheers!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

Cheers! *tip of the wine glass*

Kai,

Good food, good company, good conversation...what much more does one need?

LMNO

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 26, 2009, 10:59:18 PM
thanksgiving is about sharing good food with family and corny as it may sound, some of you are more like family to me than what little biological family I have.

THIS, BITCHES.

Kai

Bumping this, because I am going to do the SAME THING TOMORROW, BITCHES!!

And lo, it will be even better this year.

Phox

Quote from: ϗ on November 24, 2010, 10:50:53 PM
Bumping this, because I am going to do the SAME THING TOMORROW, BITCHES!!

And lo, it will be even better this year.

From your description of last year, it sounds like it promises to be a fantastic meal. When I am in a position to do so, I will have to remember to try this.

Kai

Quote from: Phox on November 25, 2010, 02:56:44 AM
From your description of last year, it sounds like it promises to be a fantastic meal. When I am in a position to do so, I will have to remember to try this.

Awesome.

Note for this year: instead of Riesling I'll be using Gewurztraminer. Much sweeter, closer to what Hustle suggested.

Sir Squid Diddimus

This thread made me eat my blanket from bird envy

AND THEN

puke it out from love grossness.

AWESOME!! :awesome:

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

This thread makes me want to cook something. But I'm not allowed in the kitchen without adult supervision anymore and the boyfriend is too stoned on pain meds to supervise in a meaningful fashion. The girlfriend is making heap big foods but now I want to contribute something more than just clearing my crafting shit off the dining room table.

Maybe I can con her into helping me with some cookies. I've been meaning to try this.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Kai

My french roommate just told me that it smelled incredible. The hens have been cooking for several hours now.

Also, I accidentally broke my new gifted cogiac glass. Very sad about that. Cut myself in the process too. :(:(