Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

The Smartphone Thread

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, November 25, 2009, 01:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: FP on January 04, 2010, 02:25:38 AM
Quote from: Felix on January 04, 2010, 12:47:33 AM
Unlocked means it has been altered to allow unapproved apps to be intstalled.
I internetted it. Unlocking is to do with freeing it to be used with any GSM carrier, and jailbreaking is allowing any apps to be installed - possibly, but not definitely, including a new operating system.

An "open phone" would be something that you could do anything on. I was involved very peripherally with OpenMoko at the start - that was open source all the way, and even the hardware specs were open, not a single binary blob anywhere - not even the GPS or GSM code was locked. All in all, it's a shame it still isn't ready/polished/stable enough to be used as a primary phone.

Fixed. The iPhone is GSM only at this point which means in the states you can only use it on AT&T and T-Mobile. Verizon and Sprint at CDMA, which requires a different hardware transmitter/receiver.

Installing a new OS on the iPhone (based on my installing OSes on other phones) may not actually require you to jailbreak. You might just overwrite everything. That said, there aren't any OSes aside from OS X mobile that will work with the iPhone's hardware. Keep in mind that I just do this for fun and have no professional training so take what I say with a grain of salt.

...speaking of other OSes on iPhones:
http://androidandme.com/2010/04/news/android-brings-new-life-to-old-iphones/

Also,
http://alldroid.org/wordpress/?p=447 :fap:

Dell making something awesome? :fap:

Eater of Clowns

So with my contract renewal and other discounts I can get the spankin' new HTC Incredible for $150.  I think thats reasonable, considering I could replace my mp3 player, phone, and get a GPS by doing so.  But the problem I have is the extra $30/mo for data.  With the lowest plan on Verizon that brings my monthly cell phone bill to $70-$80/mo.  I'm not sure I can justify it, never mind afford it.

The Incredible supposedly lives up to its name though.  It's replacing the Nexus One for Verizon release and the reviews I've seen are more positive than Droid and Nexus One.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Incredible is definitely a kickass phone from what I have seen, but I'm sticking with my Droid simply because fuck touchscreen keyboards. If that's not a big deal to you, it's the best phone out there right now.