News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Attribution

Started by Captain Utopia, November 30, 2009, 07:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: FP on December 01, 2009, 04:44:50 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2009, 03:48:56 AM
Her site seems to be down/archives only.
It seems to be up now. Looks like she attributed it to you, and provided a link back to the BIP. She hot-linked the image too which would be more foolish had she any actual readership.

Well, then I'm cool with it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Captain Utopia

In other news, did you see this?

Is that the fliers, FP?

ETA:  Whoops.  Edited instead of quoting.  My bad.

FP, did you upload those fliers to pirate bay?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: FP on December 01, 2009, 03:59:29 PM
Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on December 01, 2009, 03:27:23 PM
Quote from: FP on November 30, 2009, 07:59:59 PM
In the pre-internet era, attribution to works as a license condition was a career and livelihood requirement. This persisted through the early period of the world wide web when it was extremely difficult to pinpoint original sources of data. In addition, the one-many communication model before things like blogs, youtube, forums and comments became both technically feasible and popular, meant that unless you owned or had access to a broadcast platform like a popular website or old media, then your voice would never be heard.

So where are we now? We're in a many-to-many communication environment where anything which is a good story will quickly bubble up. Example - the Obama "HOPE" poster - remember the kerfuffle about whether it was taken from an actual photograph or not and who owned the copyright? The story broke on blogspot! This means that we're in a situation where someone else can profit from your work. Hooray for other people getting profit for your work and you not seeing a dime!

I bring this up because quite often I see people ask to reuse content, and are given the go-ahead with the restriction of attribution or non-modification. I'd like to argue the case that this is necessary and may even be positive to the spread of good ideas.

In a general case, is it better to have one person creating a derivative of your work with full attribution - or a dozen people working without attribution, but with the ability to completely subvert the spirit of your work and profit of it? It's also a question of practicality - the effectiveness of a leaflet or poster may be diminished with attribution taking up valuable space. Everyone knows bylines are a graphic designer's worst nightmare.

Another upside - if someone creates a total piece of crap, without attributing you, then it can in no way detract from your original work. Even if it is the kind of crap that massive numbers of people buy and quickly gets popularized. Your original work will build character from all the shitstains it collected underneath a massive pile of watered down crap the masses found acceptable.

Fixed.
Please do not create derivatives from my copyrighted material without prior permission. This license condition applies only to "Ne+@uNGr0+", and everyone else may treat my work as whatever comes closest to public domain in the country you are residing in.

In other news, did you see REDACTED?

Funny how the shoe pinches on the other foot, eh?  :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Okay, so FP has put a disputed work up on Pirate Bay, without permission from the author OR the guy who edited it.  While I'm sure my name is still on the fliers, Net hasn't been attributed for the pics and formatting he did.  Regardless, he did this not only without permission, but rather in spite of a request from both Net and myself that the material in question NOT be disseminated.

So he has taken the suggestion he put forth, and decided to put it into action unilaterally.  This shows that he has precisely zero respect for his fellow PDers.

I don't want FP using any of my material under any circumstances, period.

Cramulus

This morning I started setting up for a feature at 23ae, Black Iron Prison Thursdays. Every Thursday (starting on the 24th of dec), there will be a different article from the BIP posted at 23ae

Very few of the pieces in the BIP originally contained attribution.

I've tried to give credit where I can search out the original authors. Googling a sentence from the article usually points to the primary source. But there are a few articles whose posts have disappeared completely. I do not know who wrote them, so they are credited simply as "From the Black Iron Prison", with a link to the doc on scribd.

I thought that might be worth noting ITT

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on December 01, 2009, 05:21:17 PM
This morning I started setting up for a feature at 23ae, Black Iron Prison Thursdays. Every Thursday (starting on the 24th of dec), there will be a different article from the BIP posted at 23ae

Very few of the pieces in the BIP originally contained attribution.

I've tried to give credit where I can search out the original authors. Googling a sentence from the article usually points to the primary source. But there are a few articles whose posts have disappeared completely. I do not know who wrote them, so they are credited simply as "From the Black Iron Prison", with a link to the doc on scribd.

I thought that might be worth noting ITT

Sure, that's fair.  Especially if the author becomes known later, and the piece is changed to attribute the poster.

Again, it's more a matter of respect for our peers than legality.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2009, 05:13:22 PM
Okay, so FP has put a disputed work up on Pirate Bay, without permission from the author OR the guy who edited it.  While I'm sure my name is still on the fliers, Net hasn't been attributed for the pics and formatting he did.  Regardless, he did this not only without permission, but rather in spite of a request from both Net and myself that the material in question NOT be disseminated.

So he has taken the suggestion he put forth, and decided to put it into action unilaterally.  This shows that he has precisely zero respect for his fellow PDers.

I don't want FP using any of my material under any circumstances, period.
The request to delete all copies came in at 12:12pm, my post was at 11:59am.

I did not upload any content to TPB, and at no point did I redistribute or make the fliers available to anyone else. I did not unilaterally put in to action any suggestion made in this thread.

The link on TPB was a dummy page in other words, intended to piss off Net since he had started messing with my own content.

Needless to say it has backfired.