News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

CA Proposal To Ban Divorce

Started by Darth Cupcake, December 01, 2009, 07:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Cupcake

I've been skulky lately, so hopefully this hasn't already been posted... I tried to do a quick trawl to check that it wasn't repost. Sorry if it is.

Anyways: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_banning_divorce

There's a guy in California pushing to ban divorce, since he has noted that California really cares about protecting the "sanctity of traditional marriage." :lulz:
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

The Good Reverend Roger

YAR!

O'Rielly is gonna shit.

For once I am glad to go to a Gym that has Fox on ALL the TVs.

TGRR,
May dial in his Zune to listen.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dysnomia

It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Sparkley Pink Shit on December 01, 2009, 10:27:40 PM
:lulz:

It'll never pass.
True, but it will be fun to watch the fundies try to sputter out the reasons why gay marriage needs to be outlawed but divorce is perfectly fine.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

hooplala

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 01, 2009, 10:45:26 PM

It'll never pass.
True, but it will be fun to watch the fundies try to sputter out the reasons why gay marriage needs to be outlawed but divorce is perfectly fine.

Why would they do that?  I'm sure they're thrilled.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Dysnomia

It'll never pass.

:lulz:  tr00th!

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2009, 07:32:00 PM
YAR!

O'Rielly is gonna shit.

TGRR,

Jesus H. Christ.

how is it that the half-dozen Zune users in the world are ALL on this board?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Richter

Well, as much as I'm sure I know how this will go, I still want to see where it get's taken.   :|
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on December 01, 2009, 11:40:10 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 01, 2009, 07:32:00 PM
YAR!

O'Rielly is gonna shit.

TGRR,

Jesus H. Christ.

how is it that the half-dozen Zune users in the world are ALL on this board?

Because I LIKE dealing with software that doesn't fucking work, and having to wade through 10 fucking pages of Beyonce and the GODDAMN JONAS BROTHERS before they finally give me a fucking search prompt to find some REAL FUCKING MUSIC.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dysnomia

Cain

Quote from: Hoopla on December 01, 2009, 10:50:28 PM

It'll never pass.

Why would they do that?  I'm sure they're thrilled.

They actually don't seem to be, going by the article.

QuoteNot surprisingly, Marcotte's campaign to make divorce in California illegal has divided those involved in last year's campaign for and against Proposition 8.

As much as everyone would like to see fewer divorces, making it illegal would be "impractical," said Ron Prentice, the executive director of the California Family Council who led a coalition of religious and conservative groups to qualify Proposition 8.

I think it's a case of "this could actually, you know, affect us" that is causing some distress here.  Religion is much easier when you are telling others what to do, instead of being told what to do.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Cain on December 02, 2009, 10:49:50 AM
QuoteNot surprisingly, Marcotte's campaign to make divorce in California illegal has divided those involved in last year's campaign for and against Proposition 8.

As much as everyone would like to see fewer divorces, making it illegal would be "impractical," said Ron Prentice, the executive director of the California Family Council who led a coalition of religious and conservative groups to qualify Proposition 8.

I think it's a case of "this could actually, you know, affect us" that is causing some distress here.  Religion is much easier when you are telling others what to do, instead of being told what to do.

Exactly.

While I doubt that this proposal will actually pass, or do anything to undermine the hold of the whole "we're preserving the sanctity of traditional marriage!" thing, it's still pretty awesome to see someone pushing this.

I'm ALL ABOUT divorce staying legal, mind you, but I also love the idea of fundies reaping what they've sown.

Cain

Next on the agenda: stoning adulterers.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Cain on December 02, 2009, 04:07:47 PM
Next on the agenda: stoning adulterers.

Aww crap. I'm gonna have to turn to gluttony and coveting of my neighbor's ass to get my kicks.