News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

The Huffington Post tells us why skepticism is bad...

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, December 02, 2009, 05:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 02, 2009, 07:39:29 AM
:mad:  Deepak Chopra can suck my dick!!!!

Chopra has to support anti-skepticism.
Trust me I've actually read one of his books. It's like reading The Secret without all the promises of wealth. And he's an ID supporter. If people we're more skeptical he'd be out of business.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

hooplala

Everyone KNOWS the Earth is NOT flat; it's spherical.

And, hollow.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on December 09, 2009, 04:00:39 PM
Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 09, 2009, 03:49:18 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 09, 2009, 03:37:40 PM
At the same time, there are still plenty of experiments going around that "prove" the earth is flat.

Think about all the perfectly rational phenomena that were dumped on by the scientific community for years... decades... centuries. For example, in the 1700's there was a theory that bats used some kind of hearing to perceive the area around them. This was a guy named Lazzaro. He noted that bats could fly in the dark, and he even did experiments where he stopped up bat ears with wax and documented how they collided with objects versus the bats he blinded which still flew just fine. He was ridiculed, his work was rejected and sonar stayed undiscovered for another century or so.

Evidence is key.

There has to be some point at which you can say, "enough already".

Sure...  that point is called evidence... Do you have evidence collected through an objective, repeatable process? Yes, cool show me. No, sorry thats the line you gotta cross so...  STFU Flat Earther".

If we say "Enough Already" then we fall victim to the same flaws of the past, thinking that what we "know" now... or that our current models are True... rather than our current best guess.

After all, if the holographic universe theory ever gets some real evidence from experiments, round earthers and flat earhers would both be wrong....  :lulz:

So, you agree with the Birthers, then.  Good to know.

No, the Birthers would be another example of pseudoskeptics. There is no evidence to support their position, but they claim to be skeptical of Obama's legitimacy. There is evidence (official legal documents) which supports the position that our President is an American.

Skeptics simply need to weigh the evidence: Strong Evidence For vs. No Evidence Against

Pretty simple.

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on December 09, 2009, 04:05:14 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 02, 2009, 07:39:29 AM
:mad:  Deepak Chopra can suck my dick!!!!

Chopra has to support anti-skepticism.
Trust me I've actually read one of his books. It's like reading The Secret without all the promises of wealth. And he's an ID supporter. If people we're more skeptical he'd be out of business.

Snerk, troof there!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on December 09, 2009, 04:07:20 PM

And, hollow.

FLAT.  I have proof.

ETA:  I even know where the edge is.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 04:36:30 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on December 09, 2009, 04:07:20 PM

And, hollow.

FLAT.  I have proof.

ETA:  I even know where the edge is.

Arizona, eh? I always suspected.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 09, 2009, 04:37:57 PM
Ok, ok.

Do tell, Roger.

The edge of the world is about 3 miles outside of the Tucson City limits.  When people leave town, they fall off, because they never, ever come back.

QED.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 04:44:04 PM
Ok, ok.

Do tell, Roger.

The edge of the world is about 3 miles outside of the Tucson City limits.  When people leave town, they fall off, because they never, ever come back.

QED.

Hm.  NO one gave them a Leonides-type push off the edge, hm? 

Jenne, suspects otherwise.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on December 09, 2009, 04:49:29 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 04:44:04 PM
Ok, ok.

Do tell, Roger.

QED.

Hm.  NO one gave them a Leonides-type push off the edge, hm? 

Jenne, suspects otherwise.

THEY GO 90 MILES AN HOUR TO THE CITY LIMIT SIGN PUT THE PEDAL TO THE METAL BEFORE THEY CHANGE THEIR MIND.

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 04:50:45 PM

THEY GO 90 MILES AN HOUR TO THE CITY LIMIT SIGN PUT THE PEDAL TO THE METAL BEFORE THEY CHANGE THEIR MIND.

This seems like a possible case of plausible deniability to me.

LMNO

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable application of physics.

Jenne

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 09, 2009, 04:53:45 PM
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable application of physics.

I can only judge based on the data I observe.

Thurnez Isa

Actually the world's edge is in Thunder Bay
I know this cause every weekend we toss off virgins as a sacrifice to Charles Kenneth Johnson
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 04:50:45 PM

I never thought I would see the day when we'd have a Hal Ketchum reference here.  Well done, Roger.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘