News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Just heard on ABC news...

Started by Freeky, December 04, 2009, 12:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 06:47:15 PM
Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 04:20:37 PM

At least with The Children's Initiative, I feel like what I'm doing is non-partisan.

P.T. Barnum, we hardly knew ya.

It's actually great data (I fxed the quotes for you) and a great organization.  They removed themselves from the long arm of the government years ago.  I see their level of "power" as I do the P-16 Councils.  Though the P-16's are more on track with the government, they're still run and mobilized by a diverse group of individuals, not government mandated pencil-pushers.

It's volunteer, The Children's Initiaive.  I don't get paid to sit on it.

Cain

Not just at the moment, no.  But I remember a couple of months ago, when they did get a lot better, lots of people crowing about recovery and green shoots and shit, as if stock prices have anything to do with the economic circumstance most people live with.

Also as far as I can see, the media soft-sell unemployment, by mentioning the figures then going on to mention how the stock market is doing (again, notice there is a real disconnect between the two, as economic spheres).

Geither, Summers and Bernanke are going to all get away with it.  Forever and ever and ever (until the economy collapses and becomes more profitable to break down and sell the Treasury offices than accept US dollars).  Because Congressional Dems are spineless fools, Senatorial Dems are evil fucks and the Republicans think Jesus will provide, once the Accursed Kenyan (aka That One) is banished from Office and The Lord gets around to bestowing the mantle of Reagan on a new, GOP President.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 06:53:20 PM

At least with The Children's Initiative, I feel like what I'm doing is non-partisan.

It's actually great data (I fxed the quotes for you) and a great organization.  They removed themselves from the long arm of the government years ago.  I see their level of "power" as I do the P-16 Councils.  Though the P-16's are more on track with the government, they're still run and mobilized by a diverse group of individuals, not government mandated pencil-pushers.

Yeah, but think tanks in general tend to be agenda-drivers.  I'm thinking the CATO Institute, et al.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 04, 2009, 06:53:52 PM
Not just at the moment, no.  But I remember a couple of months ago, when they did get a lot better, lots of people crowing about recovery and green shoots and shit, as if stock prices have anything to do with the economic circumstance most people live with.

And even that won't last.  Big Darkness, come soon.  Thinking February or March, judging from the housing market.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 06:56:03 PM

Yeah, but think tanks in general tend to be agenda-drivers.  I'm thinking the CATO Institute, et al.

That could happen, but I don't foresee it at this point in time.  It's putting out suggestions, but they are driven to REDUCING illiteracy, REDUCING poverty, REDUCING teen DUI's.  Etc.  I could show you the raw data and the actual book if you want.  But it's not agendized.

I gave up the Obamite shit because of that factor.   I wouldn't hop into bed with another one, PTA mandate or not, and spend my time with it if I felt it had "purposes."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 06:59:11 PM

Yeah, but think tanks in general tend to be agenda-drivers.  I'm thinking the CATO Institute, et al.

That could happen, but I don't foresee it at this point in time.  It's putting out suggestions, but they are driven to REDUCING illiteracy, REDUCING poverty, REDUCING teen DUI's.  Etc.  I could show you the raw data and the actual book if you want.  But it's not agendized.

I gave up the Obamite shit because of that factor.   I wouldn't hop into bed with another one, PTA mandate or not, and spend my time with it if I felt it had "purposes."

I'm not talking about that particular think tank, Jenne.  One good apple won't make a bushel basket of slime turn back into Macintoshes.

Jenne

Also as far as I can see, the media soft-sell unemployment, by mentioning the figures then going on to mention how the stock market is doing (again, notice there is a real disconnect between the two, as economic spheres).

Geither, Summers and Bernanke are going to all get away with it.  Forever and ever and ever (until the economy collapses and becomes more profitable to break down and sell the Treasury offices than accept US dollars).  Because Congressional Dems are spineless fools, Senatorial Dems are evil fucks and the Republicans think Jesus will provide, once the Accursed Kenyan (aka That One) is banished from Office and The Lord gets around to bestowing the mantle of Reagan on a new, GOP President.

Yeah, initially, there was a spirit of (probably driven by the White House): "Oh Look!  The DOW's recovering!  We're SAVED!"  But now it's double-figured unemployment here, and skyrocketing abandoned mortgages there, and ooh, Main Street knows about the disconnect with Wall Street, so why can't AIG and G-S cut it out with the ballooned bonuses?

And yeah, they do report "we're coming out of the recession!" but then they herald "nope! wait for it in 2010!"  So it's really a two-headed hydra at this point.

I totally agree with the summation you gave on Geithner et al., they are the monsters built by the Congress, period.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 07:03:36 PM

Yeah, initially, there was a spirit of (probably driven by the White House): "Oh Look!  The DOW's recovering!  We're SAVED!"  But now it's double-figured unemployment here, and skyrocketing abandoned mortgages there, and ooh, Main Street knows about the disconnect with Wall Street, so why can't AIG and G-S cut it out with the ballooned bonuses?

And yeah, they do report "we're coming out of the recession!" but then they herald "nope! wait for it in 2010!"  So it's really a two-headed hydra at this point.

I totally agree with the summation you gave on Geithner et al., they are the monsters built by the Congress, period.

You seem to have corrupted values, Jenne.

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 07:00:50 PM
Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 06:59:11 PM

I'm not talking about that particular think tank, Jenne.  One good apple won't make a bushel basket of slime turn back into Macintoshes.

No, you're right, but I like feeling like I'm not wasting my time there, either.  And I am agendized, personally, because I keep hounding the people at TCI to keep adding "parent involvement" and power to the parent.  That's literally most of my suggestions for them--"add in parent partnership with the community and the school"--the disconnect is what I'm trying to fix in my own little way.

Anyway.

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 07:04:23 PM

I do, don't I.  For shame.  *hangs head*

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 07:05:23 PM
No, you're right, but I like feeling like I'm not wasting my time there, either.  And I am agendized, personally, because I keep hounding the people at TCI to keep adding "parent involvement" and power to the parent.  That's literally most of my suggestions for them--"add in parent partnership with the community and the school"--the disconnect is what I'm trying to fix in my own little way.

Anyway.

Here is a teaspoon.  There is the ocean.  Get busy, the tide's against you.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 07:06:04 PM

They make a pill for that.

Side effects may include jingoism, apathy, bigotry, poop-flinging, greed, herd mentality, short-sightedness, and rectal implosion.  Ask your "presriber" if America™ is right for you.

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 07:06:56 PM
Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 07:05:23 PM

Anyway.

Here is a teaspoon.  There is the ocean.  Get busy, the tide's against you.

:lulz:  Perhaps.  But I like to feel I'm simply in a wading pool.  Leave me my little delusions, it helps the demons stay at bay.

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 07:08:50 PM

Side effects may include jingoism, apathy, bigotry, poop-flinging, greed, herd mentality, short-sightedness, and rectal implosion.  Ask your "presriber" if America™ is right for you.

Aack.  ...and IMPLOSION?  Is that where the flinging comes from?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on December 04, 2009, 07:09:56 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2009, 07:08:50 PM

Aack.  ...and IMPLOSION?  Is that where the flinging comes from?

No, that comes from being a primate.  Only when our particular species flings poop, we usually fling it with a couple of grains of gunpowder.  Or these neat silly sticks we call "tasers".