News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Cash prizes for catching CCTV criminals

Started by Captain Utopia, December 05, 2009, 06:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Utopia

Quote from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8393602.stm"Internet Eyes is a very worrying development - we are already the most watched country in the world. Now we have a private company asking private individuals to spy on each other."

Although, how far would you have to push this technology before you didn't need a police force and would that be a good or a bad thing?

The Johnny

Most of the police are hunting down traffick offenders (revenue) anyway.

Bad thing.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Bruno

Formerly something else...

Cain

I love that the BBC framed why CCTV cameras are useless as a question of them not being intrusive enough.

"Once everyone has a CCTV implanted in their eyeballs, and we all take shifts watching each other for signs of illegal activity, will the country be safe.  Unless we are attacked by invisible terrorists, in which case we are fucked."

Reginald Ret

Doesn't it make you wanna scream SCREW SAFETY! SAFE IS BORING!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Jenne

Quote from: Regret on December 05, 2009, 04:06:33 PM

No, I have other things that I would like to scream, like "FUCK YOU GUYS AND THE HORSES YOU RODE IN ON--YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO RECORD EVERY MOVE I MAKE IN PUBLIC, LET ALONE CAJOLE MY NEIGHBORS TO REPORT THEM!"

It just all reminds me of the days when the Nazis and the Soviet Russians got people to inform on each other to send their neighbors to prison camps and gulags.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Jenne on December 06, 2009, 12:04:38 AM
Quote from: Regret on December 05, 2009, 04:06:33 PM

No, I have other things that I would like to scream, like "FUCK YOU GUYS AND THE HORSES YOU RODE IN ON--YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO RECORD EVERY MOVE I MAKE IN PUBLIC, LET ALONE CAJOLE MY NEIGHBORS TO REPORT THEM!"

It just all reminds me of the days when the Nazis and the Soviet Russians got people to inform on each other to send their neighbors to prison camps and gulags.
I was more reminded about the parts in 1984 where children turned in their parents for being subversive. Orwell probably got that idea from the Nazis and Russians though.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Reginald Ret

I,
I,
I just don't know how to respond to those without respect for privacy.

I really don't.

Please, someone give me tips.

I fear i will become violent if this type of ignorance keeps popping up.
And that'll only get me arrested without convincing anyone that privacy is important.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Nast

Quote from: Regret on December 06, 2009, 03:02:05 AM
I,
I,

I really don't.

And that'll only get me arrested without convincing anyone that privacy is important.

If you want privacy, you're obviously hiding something. If you're hiding something, you must be a criminal.

Why do support the Terrorists?
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Freeky

I,
I,

I really don't.

Ask them extremely personal questions about their personal lives or something like that.

Template

I,
I,

I really don't.

They think they respect privacy.  The expect the government to behave consistently in an objectively good manner.

You have to knock down the walls in their compartmentalized thought processes.  Or convince them they've done something or will do something that would end far worse if they get the policy they want was enacted.

Example: legislators that crash and burn in sex or money scandals.  In a surveillance society, they'd be nabbed before centerpiece legislation "The Whateverthefuckidontcare Act" even saw a committee.  Then where would we be?

That won't work, but it might actually start to push their buttons.  It especially won't work because of how efficiently such liabilities are editted out of things.

Chief Uwachiquen

Christ. My ignorance is gonna show here because I am a recovering american but I had no idea that this kind of shit was going on overseas. I wonder how long before America picks up on the idea.

Cain

America will just outsource it to massive private companies who happen to give big campaign donations to both parties.

Also, I really need to get a replacement laser pen.  Killing CCTV cams is a public good.

MMIX

Quote from: Chief Uwachiquen on December 06, 2009, 08:49:13 AM
Christ. My ignorance is gonna show here because I am a recovering american but I had no idea that this kind of shit was going on overseas. I wonder how long before America picks up on the idea.

did you watch the film that went with it - the idea seems to have come from america

mind you it was only a matter of time before a brit thought it anyway - its the zeitgeist of the global village
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: FP on December 05, 2009, 06:40:27 AM
Quote from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8393602.stm"Internet Eyes is a very worrying development - we are already the most watched country in the world. Now we have a private company asking private individuals to spy on each other."

Although, how far would you have to push this technology before you didn't need a police force and would that be a good or a bad thing?

Cameras can't tase 10 year olds.  The police are secure in their jobs.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.